User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Sep-17 10:10:56
Print Post

Zen problems today?

[link to this post]

Looking at my Broadband Ping I see lots of dropped packets over the last 24 hours. This only seems to be on ipv4, ipv6 is fine. Speed seems OK on v4 and v6.

Ringing Zen support puts you into a queue well over 15 minutes (gave up!) Is there a serious problem?

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l)

Edited by ukwiz (Sat 23-Sep-17 10:14:26)

Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 23-Sep-17 10:18:00
Print Post

Re: Zen problems today?

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

That looks pretty bad. Mine isn't like that, though I still have an ongoing teething problem with packet loss and slow single thread download speeds. In the evenings sometimes the multi threaded speed test is also half what it should be (or worse). Here's mine for comparison ( https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/... ). Also here's a speed test I did a minute ago ( https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15061584015... ).

A queue of 15 minutes?! Holy moly, how many customers are complaining these days I wonder blush.

Kinda concerns me that Zen is possibly going downhill from the top standard it used to be at.

Edited by Ixel (Sat 23-Sep-17 10:22:23)

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Sep-17 11:46:14
Print Post

I'm not seeing anything like that on the London connections I monitor. They're all pretty much like this.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Sep-17 11:56:31
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

That is how mine usually looks. This seems to be very recent. I can't look back over the last couple of days because (for some reason) BQM seems to have lost Thursday and Friday graphs.

Interestingly, the ipv6 monitoring is fine

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l)
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Sep-17 12:00:35
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Usually my connection is very good - as is my support from Zen (except for today)

Speed test just now - ipv6 - My Broadband Speed Test
ipv4 - My Broadband Speed Test

David

Edited by ukwiz (Sat 23-Sep-17 12:06:10)

Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 23-Sep-17 13:45:23
Print Post

I have been getting a very similar graph on my monitor. It looks terrible!

However, I also have a SamKnows whitebox monitor on the same connection, which is not reporting any problems at all, and the connection subjectively seems to be working just fine.

So I suspect that there is something wrong with the monitoring. But the monitoring on another of my servers (not on a Zen connection) is perfect.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 23-Sep-17 13:51:48
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

Maybe there's a problem with the specific route TBB is taking to reach the Zen connection, certain connections however.
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Sep-17 16:16:14
Print Post

Re: Zen problems continue

Problems have continued. Zen seeing up to 90% packet loss.

They are blaming the equipment I have attached to the router, and also said not to use TBB BQM because it is not accurate.

Strange that ipv6 BQM shows no problems at all

David

Edited by ukwiz (Tue 26-Sep-17 16:18:14)

Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 26-Sep-17 17:06:18
Print Post

Damn, not good. I've found TBB BQM to be accurate. I also use fruk's (which uses AAISP's Firebrick and another device hosted elsewhere I believe - Rackspace?) and my own automated pings to google.com (using smokeping on my Synology NAS in my server cabinet at home). Comparing all of these they seem to match up with the packet loss I'm currently getting every evening or sometimes periodically throughout daytime on Zen. I'm waiting for an update from 'network investigations team'.
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Sep-17 17:34:01
Print Post

Well, I disconnected everything from the router - no difference. Where in the country are you? I am south Hampshire

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 26-Sep-17 17:58:46
Print Post

I'm in East Sussex.
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Tue 26-Sep-17 18:21:10
Print Post

I can't see your graph now but seem to remember it looks like mine started doing yesterday (Plusnet, South Bucks)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 26-Sep-17 18:51:13
Print Post

[re: kevinrduke] [link to this post]

Your graph is far worse than mine, though still not good either way to get what looks like around 5% to 10% packet loss in the evening.

This is mine - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I know it's not any of my equipment. My router is a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro 8 with a specification of processing well over 2 million packets per second and around 8 gigabits throughput (assuming no bridging of ports, QoS disabled, and such 'software' functionality). I've tried two different modems, currently using HG612. I've also got smart queue (QoS) enabled on my router so there's virtually no buffer bloat measured in TBB's speed test. Even with QoS enabled the router is still capable of processing around 200 to 400 megabits per second. Besides of which, I have an email a while ago with Zen confirming that some other Zen customers at my exchange are also getting similar amounts of packet loss. Hoping once they solve the packet loss for my connection that the slow single threaded download speed will also go back to normal. To only get around 10 to 15 megabits speed on a single threaded download where a multi threaded download gives over 50 megabits speed (normal) is bad. On the 13th AAISP will be installing Soho::1 2TB FTTC (via TalkTalk Wholesale) on a second line so can't wait to see how that compares to my current line statistics and connection statistics.

Edited by Ixel (Tue 26-Sep-17 20:41:10)

Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 09:02:00
Print Post

No issues here, I'm in NW London, No packet loss and my own monitor to BBC is around 6.8ms on v4 and v6

HG612 -> pfSense 2.4B

--------------------------------------------------------
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 29-Sep-17 12:25:42
Print Post

[re: marjohn56] [link to this post]

My issue with the slow single threaded download speed is now resolved thanks to Stefan and Andrew at Zen. Packet loss I don't know but I imagine it's also resolved, I need time to determine that though.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but... - Nice single threaded download speed now
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 16:39:10
Print Post

Well, it has been decided that the problem is at the exchange, and an engineer will sort the problem sometime - maybe today, over the weekend, probably Monday, but actually no idea when.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User Ixel
(member) Wed 04-Oct-17 18:20:13
Print Post

How's your problems progressing? Mine appear to have returned again this afternoon but in a different way to before.

https://imgur.com/a/3XPww

EDIT: Swinging SNR is back too, see https://imgur.com/a/ojlPM

Edited by Ixel (Wed 04-Oct-17 21:23:32)

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Oct-17 09:44:40
Print Post

My packet loss is still there
Example
Unfortunately due to a "feature" on Fritz!Box routers you cannot run two smokepings at the same time, so I have to disable the BQM to allow Zen to monitor.

David

Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 10:39:23
Print Post

Damn, and that's unfortunate regarding the Fritz!Box routers. I used to own one, glad I don't now tongue. I'm honestly starting to lose faith in Zen, they were once a brilliant ISP but I feel like they're going downhill or perhaps may have become they've become a bit too large now. My second line is still scheduled to be installed on the 13th which will go via the TT Wholesale back-haul (via AAISP). I can't wait to see how it performs in comparison!
Standard User gregormac
(regular) Thu 05-Oct-17 11:28:47
Print Post

What POP are you on? reported in the fritz event log.
Ive had a on-going packet loss issue that in the end only manifested when I was connected to DSL6.MAN.
Been connected to a different gateway since and its been fine

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Oct-17 11:52:05
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

I am on PoP: acc-aln1.zhf

David

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Oct-17 11:53:38
Print Post

I am very happy with the Fritz!Box, I got almost 10% better speedtest results when I first installed it

David

Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 12:50:07
Print Post

Don't get me wrong, they are superb routers but the issue you mentioned regarding pings would annoy me as it seems like a relatively simple issue that isn't needed. I use TBB's BQM and fruk for incoming pings.

Edited by Ixel (Thu 05-Oct-17 12:51:04)

Standard User gregormac
(regular) Thu 05-Oct-17 12:51:27
Print Post

OK couple things to try, Sound like you are still on BT backhaul and not Zen.
What Gateway are you landing on?
Are you using IPV6 or 4?
Are you at the most up to date firmware for the Fritzbox 6.83?
If you are try backing off the DSL version to an earlier version ( DSL, Line Settings, use previous dsl version)
Install jdautospeedtester, http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/
Ive found it invaluable in diagnoses of ping, pck loss, jitter and single thread download etc, I was sending this to Zen daily when my connection was bad, and they couldn't argue with it. ( set it to test every 15 mins using the 100Mb test file from Thinkbroadband

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:30:12
Print Post

I think losubs.subs.bng2.th-lon.zen.net.uk is the gateway

The problem is only on ipv4. ipv6 doesn't show any packet loss

I am on 6.83 - but backing off DSL version seems a little excessive at the moment

I would love to run the autospeedtester but I am linux only

David

Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:34:35
Print Post

Interesting, I'm also going via losubs.subs.bng2.th-lon.zen.net.uk, assuming there's some kind of problem there. I'm on their LLU back-haul, not BT's.

Edited by Ixel (Thu 05-Oct-17 15:35:17)

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Oct-17 15:35:53
Print Post

Yes, Zen know of the problem with the routers, but are not interested in getting anything fixed

David

Standard User Nigel_FL
(newbie) Thu 05-Oct-17 21:44:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I'm honestly starting to lose faith in Zen, they were once a brilliant ISP but I feel like they're going downhill or perhaps may have become they've become a bit too large now. My second line is still scheduled to be installed on the 13th which will go via the TT Wholesale back-haul (via AAISP). I can't wait to see how it performs in comparison!

Have to agree,

Our Zen Business 80/20 is similar priced to our aaisp line but thats where the similarities end. AAISP is in a different league.

Zen remind me of plusnet just on the vodafone/c&w backhaul.

When contract is up, we may as well switch to vodafone's 30 quid a month deal if we wanted to say on vodafone's back haul as zen have disapointed.

Revk recently made a cryptic post about a new backhaul provider, vodafone business immediately springs to mind.....That would be ideal.

Revk Blog....
This may get more complex real soon now, as we may have more than the two back-haul carriers soon. This will, of course, make that juggling act more complex. It will also offer us more choice

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Nigel_FL (Thu 05-Oct-17 22:13:01)

Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Fri 06-Oct-17 08:45:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by gregormac:
Install jdautospeedtester, http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/
Ive found it invaluable in diagnoses of ping, pck loss, jitter and single thread download etc, I was sending this to Zen daily when my connection was bad, and they couldn't argue with it. ( set it to test every 15 mins using the 100Mb test file from Thinkbroadband

That's a nice piece of software. Very useful.

Billion 8800nl (Bridge) -> pfSense 2.4B

Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Fri 06-Oct-17 08:48:46
Print Post

I'm on losubs.subs.bng1.th-lon.zen.net.uk - not seeing any real issues. Congestion from time to time but generally it'f pretty good.

Billion 8800nl (Bridge) -> pfSense 2.4B

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to