User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 25-Jan-18 19:30:23
Print Post

FTTP: PPP reset/gateway change every few hours

[link to this post]

Connection was commissioned last Thursday and am very okeased with the speed.

I believe I am on the BTW backhaul (there was a temporary RADIUS issue which sent me to the BTW invalid realm/ISP cannot accept connection page so that is why I think am on that backhaul, Zen corrected this issue quickly by the way)

Here's the mail I've just sent to tech support (bar any account or personal details of course)

Hello

My FTTP connection went live last Thursday and I am very happy with it.

However, I have noticed that the PPP session appears to be dropping every few hours and it seems to switch gateways when this happens.

I had the Fritzbox connected for the first 24 hours and this recorded an instance of this last Friday morning, I thought this was to be expected as your systems maybe balancing the incoming load automatically as it was a new connection

I switched back to my existing router (a Netgear D6400).

I happened to log into the router to check something this morning before heading to work and noticed that the connection had apparently reset overnight

Iíve come home tonight and noticed the same thing happened around 11.45 a.m. today, Iíve included the log below for your information.

Can you advise what is occurring please?

Question is, anyone else seen this on an FTTP connection with Zen or other providers

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Netgear D6400
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
ISP Representative jongreen84
(isp) Thu 25-Jan-18 21:27:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP: PPP reset/gateway change every few hours

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I wouldn't expect PPP to drop regularly. Please do PM me and I'll see if I can see anything on the core network. If not I can point you in the right direction.

The Fritzboxes do have a setting where they reset PPP around 4AM, but you've said it happens in the daytime. Makes for an interesting looking RADIUS graph!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 26-Jan-18 20:00:17
Print Post

[re: jongreen84] [link to this post]

Hi Jon

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Been using my Netgear D6400 since last Friday (nothing against the Fritzbox but the Netgear takes up less apace in my 'network' cupboard)

As I've checked again now it has been stable for over a day, reading other posts here about other issues I'm getting the impression Zen have been doing some network reconfiguraton over the past few days so could what I;'ve been seeng be due to the network team carrying out some gateway load balancing?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative jongreen84
(isp) Mon 29-Jan-18 09:50:21
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Hi Jon

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Been using my Netgear D6400 since last Friday (nothing against the Fritzbox but the Netgear takes up less apace in my 'network' cupboard)

As I've checked again now it has been stable for over a day, reading other posts here about other issues I'm getting the impression Zen have been doing some network reconfiguraton over the past few days so could what I;'ve been seeng be due to the network team carrying out some gateway load balancing?

No problem. As some people have spotted we've been migrating customers across to our totally new network. This is new broadband gateways, new core routers, new connections to BT Wholesale, new core network links, and new transit and peering links. This network has been through lab testing, staff trials, early customer trials, and now we've migrated 15,000 customer connections. The lab testing and trials identified and fixed many issues. For the live migrations, we've become aware of two minor issues - customers configuring CPE with incorrect IP details, and BT sending us incorrect sync speed data for a small number of lines. We've put in workarounds for the latter (and contacted BT), and are working with our supplier for a workaround for the IP config issue.

Any customers experiencing problems should contact our tech support teams. We're keeping a close eye on things here during the migrations (which should just be a single brief PPP reset), and have staff and suppliers ready to go in the event of any issues.

Cheers,

Jon
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Tue 30-Jan-18 20:47:05
Print Post

[re: jongreen84] [link to this post]

Interesting stuff.

Print Thread

Jump to