User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Feb-18 20:02:33
Print Post

If it ain't broken don't try and fix it

[link to this post]

After some borked maintenance early this morning and having 2 periods of downtime, and the router connecting to the BTW walled garden today after this maintenance there are what appear to be frequent micro drops though PPPOE session not interrupted, I used to for some 2 yrs be routed through the manchester gateways without all the issues i have experienced since being routed via Londonistan
and the plexus network isn't up to the job as yet, and i as I don't agree to be a beta tester without even being asked, i requested that i be routed via manchester again, the guy told me this would be done sometime later that day FRIDAY , well i'm still waiting , i may be no longer on the plexus network but i'm still being routed via Londonistan, Zen are turning out to bve a disapointment and the ace card for choosing zen was the fact they had a presence in my part of the country and as succh offered a shorter lower latency to many destinations in the usa and europe
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 27-Feb-18 20:17:07
Print Post

Re: If it ain't broken don't try and fix it

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I requested that i be routed via manchester again, the guy told me this would be done sometime later that day FRIDAY , well i'm still waiting

There is outstanding re-routing work to be done I think - I'm still waiting for a circuit in London which is route Manchester to be reverted still from a few weeks ago, but I know it is in hand.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Feb-18 20:23:13
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IamQ:
In reply to a post by tommy45:
I requested that i be routed via Manchester again, the guy told me this would be done sometime later that day FRIDAY, well i'm still waiting

There is outstanding re-routing work to be done I think - I'm still waiting for a circuit in London which is route Manchester to be reverted still from a few weeks ago, but I know it is in hand.
For the life of me i don't know WHY they changed my routing there was NOTHING wrong with Manchester routing, And as i am in the north-west it's also the logical choice or should be

the only issues i had was with BTWHolesale when their SVLAN was getting near to capacity at peak times, now it's zens network that is the weakest link , Min latency all over the place last week it increased suddenly from 12ms to 20ms to the gateway when i was on Manchester it was 6-7ms

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 27-Feb-18 21:12:40
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

From what I remember of the last conversation re this; Manchester is a much smaller POP with much less favourable peering and connectivity in comparison to London.

The logic is that most traffic is dentine for London, or at least a peering point reached via London. I gather some users still terminate onto the Manchester POP but its far fewer that it used to be.

Remember if you where a BT customer you might have your traffic sent to the south coast and back or Scotland!)
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Feb-18 21:22:56
Print Post

From what I remember of the last conversation re this; Manchester is a much smaller POP with much less favourable peering and connectivity in comparison to London.

The logic is that most traffic is dentine for London, or at least a peering point reached via London. I gather some users still terminate onto the Manchester POP but its far fewer that it used to be.

Remember if you where a BT customer you might have your traffic sent to the south coast and back or Scotland!)
Well for my uses and past experience it was better than London, lower latency, plus resilence from the issues that affect those on the London side of their network these drops are 1hr apart

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 27-Feb-18 21:23:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Feb-18 01:06:44
Print Post

Aren't predictive spell-chuckers wonderful!
The logic is that most traffic is dentine for London, or at least a peering point reached via London.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 28-Feb-18 09:36:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep - I noticed that last night but was too late to change as it had been quoted!
Standard User r00ty
(newbie) Wed 28-Feb-18 11:59:59
Print Post

Yet, I'm in the South East (just west of London), and ever since I moved to fibre over 3 years ago, I've been on the Manchester pop. Which today is ultra annoying because of the PPPoE session drops. I work at home, guess what happens to the VPN session each time.

So, we have a situation where people in the north are being routed south, and people in the south are routed north.

I feel like, since I'm not a member of the communications industry that I don't have the experience to comment. But I feel like there's an obvious solution here.

Zen FTTC (Full 80/20 Sync). IPv4 BQM SixXS Tunnel IPv6 BQM
History: Demon (Dialup) - Demon (ADSL Trial) - Demon - BE - Zen (ADSL2+ 8Mbit) - Zen (FTTC 80/20)
  Print Thread

Jump to