User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-19 21:21:05
Print Post

Asus Blue Cave and IPv6?

[link to this post]

I'm currently using the fritzbox 3490 as the Netgear D6400 wouldn't support iPv6 (or rather it's implementation doesn't appear to be based on the standards) and I got the 3490 free when I went FTTP so I thought why not use it.

The thing I liked about the D6400 was it covered the whole house with wi-fi and I didn't have to use a range extender for devices upstairs.

Sadly the 3490 doesn't and so I've had to put in a range extender which means another device I have to keep an eye on.

The Blue Cave looks as though it might do what I want but I wondered if anyone knows if it works ok with Zen's standards based implementation of IPv6?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 07:57:41
Print Post

Re: Asus Blue Cave and IPv6?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Yep you can setup ipv6 in pretty much all Asus routers, incl the Blue Cave:

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/113990/#

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 21-Jul-19 18:10:24
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Cheers but wondered if anyone was actually using one.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 22-Jul-19 08:41:14
Print Post

Hi

Have you tried moving the Fritzbox around or turning it? Wi-Fi kit isn't so different for range as they are constrained by the maximum power they are allowed to transmit at rather than anything else. Just raising the Fritzbox by a few centimetres and/or turning it could make all the difference.

You might be unlucky and the Fritzbox transmit pattern just doesn't favour where it's positioned for your particular home, but worth trying to re-position it if you can for a one box solution.

Good luck

Regards

Phil
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jul-19 09:00:37
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PhilipD:
Wi-Fi kit isn't so different for range as they are constrained by the maximum power they are allowed to transmit at rather than anything else.

Sorry but that's not true. High end routers are 4x4, support MuMimo, support beamforming, allow high powered (1 watt) DFS channels to be used legally, use a powerful CPU with high RAM & can handle many more wifi clients simultaneously etc and this is reflected in the cost. The Asus Blue Cave has far better wifi specs than the Fritzbox 3490.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 22-Jul-19 09:16:37
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Hello baby_frogmella

Of course all those specs only apply if the clients support it. This post is talking about the range between two similar spec's of router, where one was fine the other not so good. There was no mention either about needing to support large numbers of clients requiring a 20 watt power draw of a super fast processor because it "makes good specs".

I simply offered some sensible advise to help the OP save some money on an over priced plastic box with a hole in it because go faster antenna are so yesterday smile

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Mon 22-Jul-19 09:17:40)

(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jul-19 09:38:04
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

This post is talking about the range between two similar spec's of router, where one was fine the other not so good.

True, however my comment was in reply to:

Wi-Fi kit isn't so different for range as they are constrained by the maximum power they are allowed to transmit at rather than anything else.

I was simply pointing out that there are other factors which determine how good/bad a router is wrt wifi, not just the power the radios use.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 22-Jul-19 09:38:59)

Standard User candlerb
(experienced) Tue 23-Jul-19 08:51:23
Print Post

If you still have the Netgear, why not just use it as a wireless access point?

Disable its DHCP server, and connect its LAN port to LAN port on your Fritzbox. Disable wireless on the Fritzbox to keep things simpler and the airwaves less congested.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 08-Aug-19 07:38:25
Print Post

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post here anymore.

I'll leave you to work out who has the biggest ego.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Aug-19 10:24:59
Print Post

From that post, yourself.

Iíve just read the whole thread and it seems perfectly reasonable to me. Though there may be a case of a reply being made in ignorance of the threaded nature of these forums, even when read in Flat mode.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 08-Aug-19 10:26:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to