User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spiz
(member) Fri 02-Aug-19 15:56:50
Print Post

G.fast BRAS/RADUIS profile issue

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Upgraded to G.fast on Wednesday. Install went fine, BT engineer said line length was 105m and max rate was about 530Mbps, low noise, nice and stable.

Hooked up my Draytek 2862ac on WAN2 PPPoE to the Huwaei modem and connected first time.

Ran a speedtest and the download burst at about 190 and the gradually dropped to ~80Mbps after a few seconds. Upload did the same and settled at 20.

Ah-ha - there must be an existing profile on the line! Call Zen and they said that "the order wasn't closed off yet so the RADIUS profile is still the old one". Fair enough, but it's been two days now and I'm still getting throttled.

Does anyone know how long it takes for BT/Zen to get their collective ducks in a row or should it have been done at the time? Am I just being impatient, or should I push Zen further?

Any guidance appreciated.

Spiz
Standard User flilot
(learned) Fri 02-Aug-19 21:34:17
Print Post

Re: G.fast BRAS/RADUIS profile issue

[re: Spiz] [link to this post]

You can check your current IP profile via your account on Zen's website: http://portal.zen.co.uk
Login and click on the "View Detailed Usage" button, then at the bottom click "View Line Data". You'll then see "Your current maximum download speed is:" The number there is your IP profile. There's also a list below that of when that particular profile was applied.

If the order isn't fully marked as complete at Openreach's end then I think Zen's hands are tied until it is.

Carl
(elder) Sat 03-Aug-19 00:13:53
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
You can check your current IP profile via your account on Zen's website: http://portal.zen.co.uk
Unless that is updated in real-time, which isn't necessarily the case, the only way to check your IP Profile is the BT Wholesale speed test then taking the link to "Further diagnostics". That's from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Problems such as the OP is reporting can occur when the ISP's figure is lagging behind the BTW one, or has even failed to update from it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 03-Aug-19 00:16:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flilot
(learned) Sat 03-Aug-19 01:21:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Unless that is updated in real-time, which isn't necessarily the case

It's certainly not realtime but Zen's website does update pretty quickly, I know if my line resyncs and the sync speed changes enough to require a new profile, it is shown on the aforementioned page at least within 30 minutes to an hour from my experience. It'll almost certainly be updated within the few days the OP has had their new connection (unless there is a lag for some reason, as you say).

There is also another page to check your IP profile here (rather than just the BT Wholesale route):
https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=...

Carl
(newbie) Sat 03-Aug-19 01:23:18
Print Post

Would you run another speed test I suspect this will be sorted now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 03-Aug-19 01:50:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by flilot:
There is also another page to check your IP profile here (rather than just the BT Wholesale route):
https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=...
Not really. Except itís easier. But doesnít give you as much info. That was created by the original Be ISP, and all it does is run the BTW test and further diagnostics test in the background and give you just the IP Profile from that smile.

As used to be obvious in the days when the BTW test only ran on ďBTĒ lines, not LLU, and would not run for a while after having been run. (Originally a couple if hours I think, later reduced to 10 minutes or half an hour). If you ran your test, the BTW one would give the identical refusal if you tried it straight afterwards. Probably still does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Spiz
(member) Sat 03-Aug-19 01:55:40
Print Post

[re: rowter] [link to this post]

Well my phone is reporting 222/48 so iím guessing itís sorted. Will do wired checks in the morning.

Thanks rowter smile

Thanks to all the other posters for your advice. To keep you updated, I had already checked the line profile on Zenís site and it was showing a sync speed of 300000ish from the moment the BT guy left on Wednesday, so iím assuming something got stuck elsewhere, but iím a happy chap now.

Spiz
Standard User Spiz
(member) Sat 03-Aug-19 07:52:22
Print Post

Awesome!

Getting 283/50 from a CLI speedtest now and after some MTU fiddling (1492 on the Draytek).

My final mission is to find out why my BRAS profile is 310 when the physical line can support over 500, so I would hope that I can get the profile up to near the 350 mark.

Any thoughts? Iíve powered down for a few minutes to get the DSLAM to properly resync. Does anyone know if the 10 day training period still applies on G.fast?

I know iím being greedy smile

Spiz
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-19 13:13:32
Print Post

G.Fast has the added complication of SRA.

My observations of SRA on G.Fast is the following.

With SRA the line will sync (let's say at 250Mb) and the PPP session will connect.
The IP profile is then set.

Instead of the SNRM/noise margin going up and down and the sync staying the same, with SRA the sync will change to try maintain the SNRM target.

The sync rate with SRA can go up/down continuously, but will never go above the initial sync speed.

If SRA lowers the sync to 230Mb and the PPP reconnect a new IP profile is set.
If the sync recovers back to its initial sync of 250Mb the throughput would not increase as the IP profile system only seems to update with a fresh PPP session.

It would be interesting for someone with a G.Fast modem that has access to stats to test this.

Zens reported IP profile certainly seems to remain fixed until a new PPP session is established.

Not being able to access stats on the MT992 doesn't help as there's no way to know the current sync rate.

IP profiles for the few G.Fast lines I've seen tend to be around 91-92% of the sync speed.
  Print Thread

Jump to