User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User recalluk
(newbie) Wed 16-Oct-19 15:50:21
Print Post

Re: Would you (still) recommend Zen ?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not using a fritzbox router by any chance? They have a habit of showing packet loss when there is none i.e. they ignore the repetitive monitoring

Exactly the issue I saw a little while back .. variable jitter and packet loss on Fritz Router - Swapped to billion and was fine.

The Fritz seem to deliberatly drop ping traffic, I am presuming due to low priority.

Can you run ask a friend to run pingplotter from a remote location for a good while see if it tallies with the packet loss you see in the monitor.

In my case 99% of the time the drop was on the router interface (final hop) and the actual network was clean.

Edited by recalluk (Wed 16-Oct-19 15:54:49)

Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 16-Oct-19 21:38:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes it's a fritzbox, what im seeing is at a guess it's your monitor. its packetloss - thinkbroadband. zen have on a few occasions now turned on thier/ or refused to turn of their smoke ping monitor at my request.

your monitor shows me exactly what i need to see. i only come back to look at it if im having problems and your monitor confirms that. packet loss. lets not mention ping jitter that starts within their network.

it's a fritzbox i purchased from zen btw. was having these problems with a thomson router coupled with a bto white box.

what are you saying, they sold me garbage?

when in essence there was nothing wrong with what i had.

email to tech support tonight at 6.30ish please turn off your ping tests. 2 replys later from tech support and the ping test is still running.

mr saffron i don't know if your able to but just look at how long they have had these tests running. look at just after they stopped running them and just before. i have threatened them with small claims tbh. that was when they refused to turn off their tests knowing full well it would interfere with the monitor thats run on this site.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 16-Oct-19 22:13:04)

Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 16-Oct-19 22:01:40
Print Post

[re: recalluk] [link to this post]

so again they sold me garbage? maybe im reading this wrong? SUPPOSEDLY quality isp selling someone this.

john from tech support i'll take up your offer on that "free" new router you offerd me. i'll ebay it and buy something decent.

[censored].

tracerts show 15-70 all starting within their network btw. as rick royal would say quality isp my [censored].

i'll be on the phone in the morning.might even drive over..

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 16-Oct-19 22:16:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Oct-19 23:42:40
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

You misunderstand both their points.

The pings sent by the ThinkBroadband BQM are not priority traffic.

The Fritzbox is known to ignore the BQM pings which show as packet loss on the BQM. They can do this more so under heavy load (using your connection in other words).

It might indeed be packet loss, but the Fritzbox isn't the best device to test this on for the reason above.

It doesn't make them garbage devices though.

If you have another device you could substitute the Fritzbox for that could rule out what's mentioned in the 2 previous posts.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Thu 17-Oct-19 13:33:01
Print Post

[re: recalluk] [link to this post]

To help protect from Ping Flood attacks the FRITZ!Box ignores ICMP echo-requests (pings) if it receives too many within a short period of time.

BQM alone will not trigger this. But if the router is receiving ping requests from more than one source then ICMP echo-requests may be ignored. e.g. BQM and our own line monitoring. This will look like packet loss on t he BQM graph.

A Ping Flood attack aims to overwhelm the targeted device’s ability to respond to the high number of requests or overload the network connection with bogus traffic.

The Ping flood attack may be mitigated by disabling the ICMP functionality of the targeted router. This is because an ICMP request requires some resources to process each request and to send a response. The request also requires bandwidth on both the incoming message and outgoing response. When the FRITZ!Box stops responding it is eliminating both the processing of the request and the Echo Reply.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Oct-19 14:18:56
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

@ajays,

I am still considering Zen as an option. We have had several posts on here about poor single thread speeds over the last 12 months (indeed I was impacted on my IDNet line when they had me on Zen backhaul), but all seems to have gone relatively quiet over the last few months.

Has the single thread speed issue been finally put to bed?
Standard User recalluk
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-19 14:57:38
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
@ajays,

I am still considering Zen as an option. We have had several posts on here about poor single thread speeds over the last 12 months (indeed I was impacted on my IDNet line when they had me on Zen backhaul), but all seems to have gone relatively quiet over the last few months.

Has the single thread speed issue been finally put to bed?

Have for me .. mine was sorted back a while back.
Standard User recalluk
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-19 14:59:42
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You misunderstand both their points.

The pings sent by the ThinkBroadband BQM are not priority traffic.

The Fritzbox is known to ignore the BQM pings which show as packet loss on the BQM. They can do this more so under heavy load (using your connection in other words).

It might indeed be packet loss, but the Fritzbox isn't the best device to test this on for the reason above.

It doesn't make them garbage devices though.

If you have another device you could substitute the Fritzbox for that could rule out what's mentioned in the 2 previous posts.

On other words if the behaviour I suggested is what you are seeing then its doing exactly what you should and protecting you.

Thats why I suggested ping plotter from a remote location in.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Thu 17-Oct-19 15:10:41
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In short the answer is yes. The problem was resolved some time back.

But, don't take my word for it take a look at the analysis of single download versus multiple download speeds from thinkbroadband's speed tests here:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8541-streaming-p...

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Oct-19 22:30:18
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajays:
In short the answer is yes. The problem was resolved some time back.

But, don't take my word for it take a look at the analysis of single download versus multiple download speeds from thinkbroadband's speed tests here:-

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8541-streaming-p...

Thanks. Good to know.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to