User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Fri 18-Oct-19 18:31:07
Print Post

Re: Would you (still) recommend Zen ?

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajays:
To help protect from Ping Flood attacks the FRITZ!Box ignores ICMP echo-requests (pings) if it receives too many within a short period of time.

BQM alone will not trigger this. But if the router is receiving ping requests from more than one source then ICMP echo-requests may be ignored. e.g. BQM and our own line monitoring. This will look like packet loss on t he BQM graph.

A Ping Flood attack aims to overwhelm the targeted device’s ability to respond to the high number of requests or overload the network connection with bogus traffic.

The Ping flood attack may be mitigated by disabling the ICMP functionality of the targeted router. This is because an ICMP request requires some resources to process each request and to send a response. The request also requires bandwidth on both the incoming message and outgoing response. When the FRITZ!Box stops responding it is eliminating both the processing of the request and the Echo Reply.

you think i don't know that. lets move onto something i suggessted to zen. a way for me to see who was pinging(etc) my router since they supplied me with a route that didnt like that idea at all. "we will send you a router" ...............as long as you dont change the settings.

hmmmmmmmmmm
(member) Fri 18-Oct-19 18:40:23
Print Post

[re: recalluk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by recalluk:
In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You misunderstand both their points.

The pings sent by the ThinkBroadband BQM are not priority traffic.

The Fritzbox is known to ignore the BQM pings which show as packet loss on the BQM. They can do this more so under heavy load (using your connection in other words).

It might indeed be packet loss, but the Fritzbox isn't the best device to test this on for the reason above.

It doesn't make them garbage devices though.

If you have another device you could substitute the Fritzbox for that could rule out what's mentioned in the 2 previous posts.

On other words if the behaviour I suggested is what you are seeing then its doing exactly what you should and protecting you.

Thats why I suggested ping plotter from a remote location in.

thank you its going on right now. lets put this out there. they know its them and they don't want a small claims. ongoing. i could speculate where they grabbed the throughput gain that im now seeing. thats for the ICO to decided. its my data from start to finish. it's what i pay for. record all you like, stream it thotongue somone going to pay for this.

look for another isp if you want honesty and integrity. time manchester police drug tested orly.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Fri 18-Oct-19 19:04:33)

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 18-Oct-19 19:25:59
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

Thanks for being so engaged and providing feedback. I really do appreciate the feedback we get from customers. Without customer feedback it would be impossible for us to continue to improve our products.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for or suggesting but it sounds interesting so I'd love to here more. If you PM me your contact details I'll happily give you a call or drop you an email.

Best regards

Andrew
Senior Broadband Product Manager

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Fri 18-Oct-19 19:47:27
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

I don't understand what is being asked for either, because a large proportion of it is total gibberish.smile
Standard User ashdown
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 20:38:31
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Returning to the topic... I'm a recent refugee from Virgin Media and I'm really very impressed with how it's gone with Zen, from order-taking to installation of a new line to provision of an IPv6 allocation. It's all been very smooth, keeping the customer informed at every stage. Zen know what they're doing and they do it very well, so, yes, I'd certainly recommend them.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Oct-19 20:58:45
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flilot:
In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
Been with them since Concorde was in service.

Hmm. No consumer Internet in 1976, no Zen either. wink
Concorde was only withdrawn from service in 2003. Almost 16 years ago to the day in fact.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User beefcakechipz
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 07:24:28
Print Post

[re: jtevans] [link to this post]

Well Zen is only 12 month deal then you can move if you dont like wink
Standard User jack8
(experienced) Sun 20-Oct-19 13:53:14
Print Post

[re: jtevans] [link to this post]

Yes I would been with them for a long time and they handled my house move with no issues, they just work

1664 the best year
(member) Mon 28-Oct-19 21:26:01
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

zen have not done as they agreed.

i was more than happy to take down think broadbands monitor, we (myself and an employee of zen internet) agreed i would be sent daily graphs from all the information they gathered. that has not been the case. tonight i asked for that information to be sent to me. i got 3 graphs back. weekly graphs that show packetloss btw(exactly what i first complained about many moons ago). all from the same week. i specificaly asked for daily graphs that were agreed to when i took thinkbroardbands monitor down. this is all voice recorded from my end as well as their. they didnt provide them.

the second i put the phone down errors i was having with connecting to steam resolved. and i dont mean 2 seconds or 30 seconds later. it was to the second.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Mon 28-Oct-19 21:37:15)

(member) Mon 28-Oct-19 21:47:59
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
You misunderstand both their points.

The pings sent by the ThinkBroadband BQM are not priority traffic.

The Fritzbox is known to ignore the BQM pings which show as packet loss on the BQM. They can do this more so under heavy load (using your connection in other words).

It might indeed be packet loss, but the Fritzbox isn't the best device to test this on for the reason above.

It doesn't make them garbage devices though.

If you have another device you could substitute the Fritzbox for that could rule out what's mentioned in the 2 previous posts.

im not a dick. neither are they, they know exactly whats wrong.. they offered a new router free in last couple of weeks., i refused. this problem has been going on way too long and over many years over many iterations of hardware.

like i told them they can keep the monitor running as long as they like (within reason) when they stop it and they dont get to the bottom of the problem i will solve it. and they will pay for it if i can make that happen. it's as simple as that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to