User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mattface
(newbie) Tue 22-Oct-19 14:14:48
Print Post

Zen G.Fast IP Profile?

[link to this post]

Had G.Fast 160/30 from Zen installed yesterday.
BT Engineer line test showed it could do 404Mbit, I'm about 80m from the cabinet.

The problem is, I can only get about 140mbit download speeds. I've checked Zen portal line stats and BT wholesale checker and it shows my sync speed at 151866Kbps, with a download profile of 147000Kbps.

With g.fast, you cant get sync stats from the modem frown

I'm sure I've been profiled down because we reset the modem many times during the install as there's no instructions for setting it all up.

I phoned Zen to ask for my IP profile to be bumped to 160000 and was told there was no such thing on G.Fast. No amount of asking got me anywhere. He insisted it was synced at 160000Kbps and that it was just "bandwidth" problems. At lunchtime on a weekday.

So, am I wrong? Have I not been profiled down to 147 because of the amount of disconnects from the router? Or are Zen just being useless?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Oct-19 16:03:51
Print Post

Re: Zen G.Fast IP Profile?

[re: mattface] [link to this post]

This could be the same as the effect seen on VDSL2 with G.INP activated, where the ISP's radius server receives a sync speed notification lower than the sync reported by the modem.

That lower sync speed is also what is used by BT Wholesale to set the IP Profile.

Bandwidth problems sounds like a novice first-line support response, talking rubbish.

Just my thoughts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 24-Oct-19 16:42:15
Print Post

Give it a couple of days? Recently had an ADSL to FTTC upgrade where the download speed was lower than the handback. After a few days it bumped itself up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mattface
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-19 17:31:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I got through to another guy on chat who was great and willing to try and look up everything he could, then we talked it through on the phone.

The info Zen are getting from BT shows im synced at 160,000 and have a profile at the same level, but I'm still only getting 140mbit download speeds.

Nobody can explain why the zen portal, and the BT wholesale checker, are both showing a profile of 147,000.
Standard User mattface
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-19 17:40:06
Print Post

Theres been another sync speed showing on my zen portal, so this data seems to be live and updating.

Zen Portal Image
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Thu 24-Oct-19 18:09:16
Print Post

Iím not fully sure what the issue is you are seeing, but if it is that your line profile is below your sync speed this is normal. I think BT used to apply a profile that was 88% of your sync speed. Looks like this has been revised up to 96%.

This is not something your isp can change.
Standard User mattface
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-19 18:23:49
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

My issue is that I'm being told by Zen over the phone that I'm syncing at 160mbit, but their own portal and BT wholesale checker, is showing the lower number and I'm only getting around 140mbit on speed tests.

I understand that my profile would be 96% of my sync, and if it was 96% of 160mbit I'd be completely happy.

As an Openreach engineer tested my line under a week ago saying it can easily sync at 400+mbit, I'm lost as to why it's not easily syncing at 160. Zen tell me it is, my speedtests tell me it isn't.

It's frustrating that there is no way to get sync speed directly from my modem.

Basically, with what seems to be a really good line to the cabinet, I expect to get 160 frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Oct-19 19:03:47
Print Post

Your Zen Portal image two posts ago clearly says what your sync speed is. The difference between the two from 21 Oct to 23 Oct suggests DLM is reducing the sync for some reason.

Somebody you are speaking to is contradicting what your portal says. I would trust the portal.

You could try asking what figure the radius server is getting from BT Wholesale.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Oct-19 19:07:31
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Geordish:
Iím not fully sure what the issue is you are seeing, but if it is that your line profile is below your sync speed this is normal. I think BT used to apply a profile that was 88% of your sync speed. Looks like this has been revised up to 96%.

This is not something your isp can change.
88% is on ADSL2+. Standard on FTTC/VDSL2 is around 96%. With G.INP it is lower, more like 94% or so IIRC. G.Fast is not the same protocol as either but I don't know what it should be.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-19 08:45:00
Print Post

U could upgraded to 330/50 instead for an extra £10 a month. But I think Zen are free of charge to regrade for G.fast Modify order from 160/30 to 330/50 within 24 hour.

Openreach stated 160/30 are up to 145/30 and 330/50 are up to 300/50 because the max ip profile for 160/30 are 145600kbps and 30000kbps and 330/50 are 300300kbps and 50000kbps

Edited by adslmax (Mon 11-Nov-19 11:12:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to