User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:03:19
Print Post

Sync Speed bottleneck

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my Fibre broadband to GFast 160/30.
I have the equipment provided by Zen / Openreach - Fritz!Box 7530 Router and the MT992 modem.
Openreach did all of the necessary hardware installation and internet speeds are consistent.

However, there appears to be a bottleneck and my internet speed is limited to around 100Mbps. This is due purely to the Sync Rate, which over the last 8 days has ranged from around 90Mbps to a maximum of 101.787Mbps (according to the Line Rate Data).
Not only this, but my upstream has dropped dramatically from 20Mpbs on Superfast to around 7.5Mbps on GFast.

I phoned Zen Technical Support and they went through the basics (turn off / on router and modem, replace the splitter, replace the cable to the modem, adjust some setting on the router etc ...) but the sync rate remained pretty constant. He tested the line 6 times and sync rate ranged from 95 to 101 Mbps.

I did the quiet test on the houseline and there was no noise.

We both concluded that there must be a bottleneck somewhere that is restricting the sync rate. The technician believed it would be an Openreach issue and has booked an engineer appointment, however, if the issue is down to something basic that is my fault, I will be charged for the visit (some £200).

The quality of the speed is very good. Hooked up via the LAN, I'm getting around 92Mbps and via the WiFi, it's slightly less. I don't see what the issue could be on my end, but if I can find the fault and fix it, then I'd rather not fork out £200 for a wasted visit.

I only have two possibilities as to what the issue is:
1) One of the hardware equipment is causing the bottleneck. The modem and (apparently) master socket were replaced. This is the new Master Socket: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/bt-line-boxes-and-so...
2) There is an actual Openreach technical problem that is throttling the line.

Does anyone have any other suggestion that I can try cos I'm out of ideas.

Thank you (sorry for Wall of Text).

Edited by Lotak (Tue 19-Nov-19 11:43:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:16:36
Print Post

Re: Sync Speed bottleneck

[re: Lotak] [link to this post]

Openreach engineer should have tested line and resolved anything that impacted speeds as part of the install.

It may simply be that you are at a distance where the full sync speed is not to be expected.

So first step, is how far from the g.fast pod are you?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:35:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well, the Openreach engineer couldn't test the line because the internet wasn't working, claiming it was a Zen issue.
I could only get the internet working the day after.

I was under the impression I was 260m from the exchange, but the Technician said it was half that.

The dslchecker says I should be getting an impacted G.Fast speed of 168.8 Mbps (that's the lowest speed on the DSL checker).

If my speed is limited to 100Mpbs purely due to distance, then I would never have taken out the contract and broadband providers / openreach have completely mislead me into thinking I could get speeds of up to 289Mbps (which would be the max g.fast speed claimed).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:59:59
Print Post

NOTE DSL Checker is an estimate, not a should you get that figure.

What you should get is measured as part of the install and even then external factors can move this up or down over time.

260m from the exchange, but how far from the g.fast pod? That might be 100m the other side of the exchange. (NOTE Exchange is a physical building and not a green cabinet in the street).

The testing they do should work even if the internet connection was not up to Zen, i.e. they don't do a speed test but look at the sync speeds of the hardware.

Where/who has actually said you will get speeds of 289 Mbps? If you feel mislead then choice is (a) attempt to resolve (b) seek early exit and return to VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:00:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lotak:
I was under the impression I was 260m from the exchange, but the Technician said it was half that.

The dslchecker says I should be getting an impacted G.Fast speed of 168.8 Mbps (that's the lowest speed on the DSL checker).

Half of that was 130m should get 330/50 easily. The picture u posted isn't G.fast socket. Should be one of those here: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates...

Also what does BTw checker say on Clean A Range on your G.fast estimate?

Did the engineer told u of what was the max line rate and the length of distance from the cabinet?

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 12:04:03)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:10:11
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
In reply to a post by Lotak:

Half of that was 130m should get 330/50 easily. The picture u posted isn't G.fast socket. Should be one of those here: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates...

Also what does BTw checker say on Clean A Range on your G.fast estimate?

Did the engineer told u of what was the max line rate and the length of distance from the cabinet?

Looking online, this is a standard Master Socket that they install for G.Fast
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/a-quic...

My wife was the one home when the engineer came over. I actually don't know if they replaced it, but the image I showed is the one that is there and is the 2019 version, so must be the one they installed. If the engineer did say what the max line rate should be / length of distance, I don't think she remembers.

Initially I thought it was the Master Socket faceplate that was the bottleneck, but dismissed it due to the replacement. If that is the cause, then that's pretty shoddy from the engineer as he's given me a Master Socket not fit for purpose. When I spoke to Zen, they described the Master Socket exactly as the one in the wall (i.e. not the one you showed me), so they expected it to be the single socket too.

That being said, one of the things was to remove the face plate and plug the splitter direct into the Master Socket. Didn't work.

Clean speed of 208.2 to 289.4. Should easily be getting 160.

Edited by Lotak (Tue 19-Nov-19 12:59:04)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:15:50
Print Post

Ask Zen to re-arrange another engineer. You won't get charged as your router and openreach modem are brand new hardly any fault on it. I wouldn't worry about £200 charge by openreach.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:17:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
NOTE DSL Checker is an estimate, not a should you get that figure.

What you should get is measured as part of the install and even then external factors can move this up or down over time.

260m from the exchange, but how far from the g.fast pod? That might be 100m the other side of the exchange. (NOTE Exchange is a physical building and not a green cabinet in the street).

The testing they do should work even if the internet connection was not up to Zen, i.e. they don't do a speed test but look at the sync speeds of the hardware.

Where/who has actually said you will get speeds of 289 Mbps? If you feel mislead then choice is (a) attempt to resolve (b) seek early exit and return to VDSL2

Sorry, my terminology gets muddled up.

I think I'm 2km from the Exchange and 260m from the cabinet. I don't know exactly where the g.fast pod is. I was under the impression it was adjacent to the cabinet.

I know not to expect speeds of 289 Mbps, which is what DSL checker says / Zen said (based on 330/50 package). But, getting a max sync rate of 100Mbps, when everyone suggests I should be getting in excess of 150Mbps is miss-selling. I can never achieve those speeds, yet Openreach / BT / Zen / Sky / EE (those that supply GFast) all say I can.

This isn't a case of WiFi speeds being low due to network connectivity. This is a case of me being unable to getting the desired speeds based on the Sync Rate, which isn't something I can control for.
Had I known this, I'd never have taken out the product.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:20:51
Print Post

Ask Zen to re-arrange another engineer. You won't get charged as your router and openreach modem are brand new hardly any fault on it. I wouldn't worry about £200 charge by openreach.

Zen has booked an Openreach engineer for next week, but don't claim responsibility. They are essentially saying it's an Openreach problem or a Me problem. If Openreach say it's not their issue (i.e.it's a Zen / Me issue), they'll charge me,

I will be mightily peeved if that is the case and will completely be contesting.

I'm pretty convinced that there is a bottleneck that needs clearing for me to achieve the advertised Sync Rate, rather than the Sync Rate being limited due to location.

Am I right in saying Sync Rate is the speed received by the Master Socket? Not the speed into the Modem / Router?
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:27:24
Print Post

How can failing to meet an estimate be considered to be mis-selling? If the problem isn't fixable cancel your contract. The DSL checker is no more than an estimate until such time as a service is provided and actual measurements made.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:37:39
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
How can failing to meet an estimate be considered to be mis-selling? If the problem isn't fixable cancel your contract. The DSL checker is no more than an estimate until such time as a service is provided and actual measurements made.

Because I cannot achieve anywhere near the estimate. It is impossible.
I'm not saying because they are telling me I should be getting up to 160Mbps, that I must always have 160Mbps, but my line *should* be able to achieve that (or somewhere close). That my line can ONLY achieve 100Mbps, means they should never have said I could get 160Mbps, based on my address.

This isn't the point of the post anyway and Zen said I could leave penalty free if I am significantly below the Zen estimate of 144Mbps

I don't think this is the case anyway. I'm pretty certain there's a bottleneck somewhere because my upload speed went from a solid 20Mpbs to 7.5Mbps. Something that caused that and it's most likely a simple solution that I haven't tried (or need an engineer to do).

Edited by Lotak (Tue 19-Nov-19 12:39:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:40:26
Print Post

Are there any phone extension sockets in the house, whether or not they are in use? If there are some, do any have a phone (or DECT base) connected?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:47:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And if there is a phone or DECT, is it plugged straight in, or through a filter? With that master socket all phones need to be plugged into a filter, either a dangly or the phone socket of a filtered extension.

Did the previous master socket have both phone and broadband sockets?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 19-Nov-19 12:48:14)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:49:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are there any phone extension sockets in the house, whether or not they are in use? If there are some, do any have a phone (or DECT base) connected?

No Dect base.
AFAIK, there is only one phone line.

One of the tests I did with the technician was to remove the phone line cable from the splitter, so no phones were connected. That didn't do anything.

I don't think it's an interference issue or anything like that. The speed is too stable for it to suggest something like that. There is something capping my sync rate at around 100Mbps.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:51:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
And if there is a phone or DECT, is it plugged straight in, or through a filter? With that master socket all phones need to be plugged into a filter, either a dangly or the phone socket of a filtered extension.

Did the previous master socket have both phone and broadband sockets?

Needed a splitter for the previous master socket as well.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:54:06
Print Post

It appears that you fail to understand the meaning of the word estimate nevertheless it would appear that there may be something amiss with your connection, etither internally or between your premises and the g-fast pod.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 12:56:44
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
It appears that you fail to understand the meaning of the word estimate nevertheless it would appear that there may be something amiss with your connection, etither internally or between your premises and the g-fast pod.

I know there is something amiss with my connection. This is what I am trying to figure out. That is why I don't think that my line has a hard cap of 100Mbps and that there is something causing it to cap.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 13:33:36
Print Post

When you signed up the Zen site you may have seen an estimate

"144.0 - 160.0 Mbps
TYPICAL DOWNLOAD RANGE"

which is what they show for unlimited fibre 3, but this appears to be the same estimate for a wide range of distances from the pod, once it reaches the point where most would say G.fast won't work it changes to
78.0 - 160.0
Mbps
TYPICAL DOWNLOAD RANGE

So the real question is once entering full address and phone number what did they suggest your speed would be?

Zen Internet is signed up to the Ofcom Speeds code of practice so if the speeds do not reach the minimum speed given during the sales process you can walk away or accept a downgrade to a different product with the pricing changing to reflect that.

260m to the pod, is edging towards the limits of G.fast and as wiring does not always follow a straight line then might be longer.

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:02:58
Print Post

When you signed up the Zen site you may have seen an estimate

"144.0 - 160.0 Mbps
TYPICAL DOWNLOAD RANGE"

which is what they show for unlimited fibre 3, but this appears to be the same estimate for a wide range of distances from the pod, once it reaches the point where most would say G.fast won't work it changes to
78.0 - 160.0
Mbps
TYPICAL DOWNLOAD RANGE

So the real question is once entering full address and phone number what did they suggest your speed would be?

Zen Internet is signed up to the Ofcom Speeds code of practice so if the speeds do not reach the minimum speed given during the sales process you can walk away or accept a downgrade to a different product with the pricing changing to reflect that.

260m to the pod, is edging towards the limits of G.fast and as wiring does not always follow a straight line then might be longer.

I know the limit is around the 300m mark, so I was a bit skeptical at first at the speeds but:

The speeds I've been quoting is after putting in my address and phone number: both in the dsl line checker and on various ISP sites.
Sky - 148-149. Min 100
BT - 137-138. Min 100
EE - 145-146 Min 144.
Zen - 144-160 with a typical speed of 160 (I think that's their guarantee, but they don't explicitly state this).

All had upload speeds around the 20-25 mark.

The limit on speeds is more on the 300/50 product where my speed is limited to 184.6-289.4. My upload speed is capped at 22.9 as this is the expected speed even at the 300/50 product.
For comparison, if I were to live much closer to the cabinet (w/o phone number), my advertised estimated speed would be 297-330, typical of 330 and upload of 44.2. This is why I was comforted in thinking that the speeds advertised were what I would expect since it looked like the distance was already factored into the expected line speed. It appears that the speed restriction occurs on the 300/50 product as my line can't meet that due to the distance from the cabinet. But the 160/30 is able to be met.

Zen seem to think that something is dampening the line speed. If that isn't the case and my speed is hard capped at 100, then I'll have to downgrade. the 30% odd increase in speed isn't worth the premium. Plus the £55 wasted on the engineer installation.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:03:40
Print Post

Do u have any homeplug in the socket as I do remember someone posted but I can't find it as G.fast speed is affect by homeplug adaptor to the openreach modem. Get rid of that homeplug and the speed will go up in a couple of days.

I am sure someone on the forum will find a post of Homeplug affect G.fast.
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:07:28
Print Post

You mean something like a Powerline?

https://shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-devi...

Like that?

No. We only have a TP-Link, which has actually stopped working since the upgrade. It no longer seems to receive power via the ethernet.

Otherwise no Homeplugs
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:11:45
Print Post

Ok, no homeplugs.

Best way is to wait for an engineer to come out and tell him or her to replaced master socket to have G.fast label on it.

Make sure your router has gigabit ethernet port from Openreach modem. Most router has 10/100Mbps ethernet port that no good for G.fast. And also make sure your laptop or pc has gigabit ethernet port too.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 14:12:49)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:18:01
Print Post

Ok, no homeplugs.

Best way is to wait for an engineer to come out and tell him or her to replaced master socket to have G.fast label on it.

Make sure your router has gigabit ethernet port from Openreach modem. Most router has 10/100Mbps ethernet port that no good for G.fast. And also make sure your laptop or pc has gigabit ethernet port too.

The router definitely has gigabit ethernet port. It's Gigabit Lan and DSL up to 300, both of which are plenty to meet the requriements.
Not sure about my device, but that shouldn't matter as it is the sync speed that is limited.

Looks like there's nothing else I can think of, so will have to wait for the engineer. Hopefully it's an openreach fault and they can resolve it. Probably a button that needs switching or dialling up.
Thanks.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:20:57
Print Post

Dial 17070 choosen option 2 for test quiet line test to see there is no fault on the phone for any line noise, crackling, buzzing, popping or humming. If it very quiet then the phone are fine.

Performing the Quiet Line Test:

Once you have your telephone connected to the BT test socket dial 17070. You will reach BT's line test facility.
Choose option 2 from the menu presented - "Quiet Line Test".

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 14:22:01)

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:23:16
Print Post

I did that with the Zen technician.
No noise at all.

Everything suggests the speed coming into the line has been limited to 100 Mbps.
If there was interference, my speed would be much more erratic. But its a consistent 90-100.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 14:24:26
Print Post

Ok no problem. U should be getting 160/30 easily. Hope engineer will sort it out.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 15:38:38
Print Post

IF speed coming down the line is limited as you say then as its a distance based product then most likely the distance is the limiting factor.

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 15:45:10
Print Post

IF speed coming down the line is limited as you say then as its a distance based product then most likely the distance is the limiting factor.

Why I don't think this is the case is that the speed seems limited to near exact 100 Mbps. Is that coincidental? Maybe. I don't think so.

Also, why has my upload speed plummeted by 2/3rds? That shouldn't have happened.

Guess it's the engineer to explain.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:13:13
Print Post

Sync speed is going to be very similar almost all the time unless there is a fault, since the distance does not change.

So are you talking about 100 Mbps download speed with unknown sync speed?

Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:18:06
Print Post

Sync speed is 100 Mbps. Download speed is between 80 and 95 (depending on connection).

Zen technician seems to think something is capping it and doesn't believe it to be the distance.
Guess we shall see what becomes of it when Openreach engineer comes.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-19 16:45:19
Print Post

I do find it hard to believe this. G.fast are fine with 160/30 for up to 300m away. Simply as that.

G.fast distance chart here https://ibb.co/WPtsVjP

Edited by adslmax (Tue 19-Nov-19 16:52:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-19 17:48:30
Print Post

That is the theory, but we know nothing about this specific line, so presenting the graphs as 'simply that' is far to simplistic

Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 27-Nov-19 21:56:19
Print Post

That is the theory, but we know nothing about this specific line, so presenting the graphs as 'simply that' is far to simplistic

his line is up to standard or it is not. how hard can it be? either it's good or it isnt. can you explain to me? try and justify it.

you can't. lets get this in context here. last whatever meters of copper wire.

there was one time i thought you were for the beterment of broadband. just like mr tang. where is mr garner now anyway. you know exactly what im insinuating right?

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 27-Nov-19 22:06:42)

Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:09:53
Print Post

Openreach engineer should have tested line and resolved anything that impacted speeds as part of the install.

It may simply be that you are at a distance where the full sync speed is not to be expected.

So first step, is how far from the g.fast pod are you?

your having a laugh arnt you. a bt openreach "engineer" actually doing his job right? probably need to teach them in the first place. then just maybe.

still got line swappers in my area. knowing full well them lines were in use. or they forgot to test. that certain guy is not getting away with it this time. wink

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 27-Nov-19 22:13:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Nov-19 22:55:04
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

A copper line still only has a legal requirement to support voice and 28 kilo bits per second data transfer.

The broadband USO coming into effect in March 2020 will add a 10 Mbps down/1 Mbps up connection requirement on BT and KCOM but how they meet this is up to them e.g. improve copper, roll-out FTTP or offer 4G solution within the context of a cost envelope.

So is the line in question up to standard - yes.

As for the other allegations you appear to make I have no idea what you are on about. I am sure you will enlighten the world though.

Standard User flilot
(learned) Wed 27-Nov-19 23:56:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by bigbadpirate:
your having a laugh arnt you. a bt openreach "engineer" actually doing his job right? probably need to teach them in the first place. then just maybe.

still got line swappers in my area. knowing full well them lines were in use. or they forgot to test. that certain guy is not getting away with it this time. wink

Not to shiver your timbers, but, you seem to be a bit of an incoherent looney, mate.

Carl
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Nov-19 13:26:56
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

@flilot Where did you learn to be so polite! smile
Standard User Lotak
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-19 13:56:14
Print Post

The Openreach engineer came last week and it appears my line isn't capped. The speed I'm getting actually appears to be the maximum speed that my line can achieve on G.fast broadband, given how far away I am from the G.fast cabinet.

My house is around 260m away, but he said that's only to the house. There may be another 100m of copper cabling to get to my phone line. Whatever it is, he actually said that if he were the engineer who installed the G.fast, he'd have recommended not doing it as speeds wouldn't be *that* much faster.

Still couldn't explain the reduction in upload speed though. That confused him as well.

Anyway, the line speed is what it is. Turns out the bottleneck isn't an BT / ISP issue, it's the length of the copper cabling!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Jun-20 00:26:31
Print Post

@Lotak First of all, my cabinet is 250m away. Openreach put estimated speed for G.fast as 250Mbps down and 48Mbps up. FTTC still at 80/20 with max speed. Your G.fast pod 260m away plus another 100m to the pcp cabinet could be possible correct figure by an engineer told you this! I know my local street pcp cabinet is 150m to add another 100m to my property get it 250m figure (not the FTTC cabinet)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to