User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Angelboy
(newbie) Sat 28-Dec-19 20:28:30
Print Post

Slow speeds from Zen

[link to this post]

Iíve been a Zen customer for 8-9 years and over the last year or so Iíve noticed that on a night my speeds fluctuate and drop below 10mb. Iím on Fibre Broadband with estimated speeds of up to 40mb but Zen states that they wouldnít drop below 33mb.

Iím using the Fritzbox 3490 which says 49 down and 20 up but every speed test Iím doing is nowhere near that.

Iím finding my amazon Firestick is constantly dropping out and if I reboot the router it sometimes works but the internet is clearly working as I can access it via my iPad/desktop.

I havenít called Zen because when I test the connection on following mornings itís usually OK again.

Back in the day Zen customer service used to be amazing and theyíd always get straight to the problem but I remember calling them for an issue over a year ago and I was met the type of CS that Iíd expect from Sky or BT. It really went downhill.

Are others having similar issues and if so what is it?

I donít want to be busting £100+ on a new router to find out that itís not the issue but Iím getting sick of not being able to stream content on a fibre broadband line - itís just as [censored] as it used to be with regular broadband.

Whatís the fix? Another ISP maybe?
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Sun 29-Dec-19 18:15:39
Print Post

Re: Slow speeds from Zen

[re: Angelboy] [link to this post]

try the technical and post back please. looks like tangs employing people he shouldnt be. be nice to get another opinion. and a drug testing station on the way to orrrliiiy manchester police did you hear me? if you didnt someone else will.

just in case.

BANG TO RIGHTS TO. smile

from what i hear from ex employees.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Sun 29-Dec-19 18:31:53)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Dec-19 20:22:49
Print Post

Is this happening every night? And what time does it begin and return to normal? It sounds like a congested cvan or svan in the zen portal what does it say about your line data ? in particular this part of it Your current line technology is As this will tell us which back haul provider your circuit is configured to use, if WMBC it's BT Wholesale And zen will have to request a move from that congested vlan to a better one, if it's GEA then the problem is on Zen's side of things

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wassy
(newbie) Mon 30-Dec-19 13:26:55
Print Post

I have just left Zen and gone back to Plusnet and saving £20 / month on unlimited fibre. Plusnet has shown an immediate improvement in reducing maximum latency. The spiking in maximum latency mid evening with Zen when my son was gaming and someone else streaming a video sent my son up the wall - solid block of yellow on the BQM > 170 MS (average rising from 9 to 60ms). With plusnet have since been streaming 2 HD football matches at once and not a peep from my son as the latency was not seriously impacted, no solid block of yellow on the BQM and peaking at a max of between 30 and 60 ms( a reduction > 110 ms) and no impact on the minimum / average of 9ms).The dropped packets have disappeared too.

Glad I left Zen, not sure why I was sucked in for a year after believing the hype about it being truly unlimited. The Fritz!box router has been good though and I am still using it!
Standard User Angelboy
(newbie) Mon 30-Dec-19 20:38:24
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I havenít had a proper look at times as we donít always watch TV at the same times. I have noticed it tonight after 8pm. The firestick is streaming a TV show and itís buffering every few minutes. I was watching a show before 8pm and it was OK. Iím going to check the download speed on my Mac when the show is finished but the iPad is saying 10mb download and 10mb upload?!

Whatís a Cvan and svan?

How do I check line data or what my line technology is?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Dec-19 16:14:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Angelboy:
I havenít had a proper look at times as we donít always watch TV at the same times. I have noticed it tonight after 8pm. The firestick is streaming a TV show and itís buffering every few minutes. I was watching a show before 8pm and it was OK. Iím going to check the download speed on my Mac when the show is finished but the iPad is saying 10mb download and 10mb upload?!

Whatís a Cvan and svan?

They are Service vlan and Customer vlan BTW uses both & presumably Zen will have something similar for their GEA on net customers, Not sure of the intricacies

You can check the technology your circuit is using by logining into the Zen portal https://myaccount.zen.co.uk/UserManagement/Account/S... Then click my services Under broadband & sdsl settings (bottom left of page) you will see LINE DATA, click on that and it will open another web page Product Services On that page just about the detail of sync rates there will be a line that says this and it will say WMBC or GEA and give a max download speed (IP profile) if on BT

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 31-Dec-19 16:25:10)

Standard User steve195527
(regular) Tue 31-Dec-19 22:34:58
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigbadpirate:
try the technical and post back please. looks like tangs employing people he shouldnt be. be nice to get another opinion. and a drug testing station on the way to orrrliiiy manchester police did you hear me? if you didnt someone else will.

just in case.

BANG TO RIGHTS TO. smile

lots of ex employees of any company are ex employees for a reason and some tend to bear a grudge against their ex employers and so tend to give a biased(in a bad way)opinion of them,like all things in life don't believe everything you hear or read and don't only/always believe the stuff that fits in with what you want it to fit in with,It can give you a very narrow minded opinion on things
Standard User MoM
(newbie) Wed 01-Jan-20 13:39:34
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steve195527:

just in case.

BANG TO RIGHTS TO. smile

lots of ex employees of any company are ex employees for a reason and some tend to bear a grudge against their ex employers and so tend to give a biased(in a bad way)opinion of them,like all things in life don't believe everything you hear or read and don't only/always believe the stuff that fits in with what you want it to fit in with,It can give you a very narrow minded opinion on things

Just my opinion but I recon hes lying trying to get a reaction attention seeking.
Standard User steve195527
(regular) Wed 01-Jan-20 13:53:52
Print Post

[re: MoM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MoM:
In reply to a post by steve195527:

just in case.

BANG TO RIGHTS TO. smile

Just my opinion but I recon hes lying trying to get a reaction attention seeking.

I actually wonder if he was/is with zen and has complained about something that they cannot actually understand what he is talking about,half/most of his posts don't seem to make sense so maybe they have same problem and don't understand his complaint
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Thu 02-Jan-20 02:23:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Angelboy:

Whatís a Cvan and svan?

Have you checked this problem happens with wired devices? This could easily be a WiFi issue completely unrelated to Zen.

I'm certainly experiencing no such issues.

Edited by alexatkin (Thu 02-Jan-20 02:26:30)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to