User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User paulcdb
(regular) Fri 17-Jan-20 11:04:22
Print Post

How about another zen promise?

[link to this post]

Iíve never had any real problems with Zen since I joined back in 2005 but I recently got an email offering fibre and phone for what Iím currently paying for just fibre.

So Zen dropped the price at some point and yet again it seems loyal customers are forgotten about instead of automatically receiving the price drops.

So maybe Zenís new policy should be...
ďwe promise there will be no price rises and if we lower the prices youíll automatically receive themĒ 😉

Just waiting to see if I can get the new price, which I guess is a 12 month contract but want to make sure I can regrade to ultrafast IF it ever comes to this dead end of town. Still, be nice to see companies drop prices for long time customers. 😞
Standard User andew
(member) Fri 17-Jan-20 14:47:24
Print Post

Re: How about another zen promise?

[re: paulcdb] [link to this post]

I was able to re-contract on the new prices as an existing customer, even got a fritzbox 3750 router as well. Zen will get you upgrade product without penalty so going from vdsl to ultrafast is fine.
Standard User paulcdb
(regular) Fri 17-Jan-20 15:15:16
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Thanks, I did send an email asking but donít really want to move to another contract and find out BT suddenly rolls out decent speeds around here. Usually my luck 😛

Iím guessing we wonít see anything for a while round here but I keep praying to the FTTP gods! 😞

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 19-Jan-20 20:10:38
Print Post

Re: How about another zen promise? *DELETED*

Post deleted by techguy

Edited by techguy (Sun 19-Jan-20 20:13:57)

Standard User paulcdb
(regular) Sun 19-Jan-20 21:49:56
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I been with Zen since Jun 2005 and never got so much as a 10 year anniversary mug so this is no surprise really. Never understood the whole ďscrew the loyal customersĒ mentality.

If I didnít have the 5 static IPís or could take them with me somewhere else Iíd be seriously considering moving but sadly, I like my IPís! 😤
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 20-Jan-20 07:56:06
Print Post

Humhle pir time, just rechecked the site prior to calling sales and there is no reduction for FTTP.

Happy to publicly retract my earlier comment, my bad.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User paulcdb
(regular) Mon 20-Jan-20 11:37:00
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

ďIf the ultra-fast FTTP becomes available within the contract term and you wish to upgrade you will face a termination fee.Ē

Hmm, that clears that up. If you switch to the lower price and FTTP comes out your stuck for the remainder of the 12 month contract or get penalised. Lovely!

Apparently it was in a newsletter last September and Zen wonít switch to lower pricing without consent... which is really stupid thing tbh since Iím guessing that went to the SPAM folder. 🙄

Zen: Oh look, we reduced the price on the service youíre already getting but we need your permission to change how much we charge you.
Customer: No thanks, I love spending more money for the same service Iíve always had!

I mean, just... 🙄

Guess itís save money and find out FTTP is coming next month, or wait and itíll take 5 years! 😤
Standard User flilot
(learned) Mon 20-Jan-20 12:37:45
Print Post

It's actually common sense when you think about it, that businesses can't just move your packages around without getting your permission. For one, it will usually need a change to your direct debit amount (bank account holder's permission required), and two it will usually involve the start of a new contract.

Imagine this scenario: You're looking around for a change of ISP, perhaps one that offers full fibre that your current one does not, you decide to go with a new ISP, and contact your current one to give your cessation notice, only to find a few hours/days before they have placed you on a higher speed package, possibly with a reduction of your monthly payment, which has reset your minimum contract period to another 12 or 18 months, and an early cancellation will require a large fee. You would not be happy that they had not asked you first.

I'm entirely for businesses contacting me for my permission regarding any tiny little detail change on my account, to not do so would be stupid and bad business sense for them.

After all, it's no hardship to look at package prices every so often and contact your ISP if you are paying more than the current going rate, and ask them if they can do anything about it.

Automatic alteration of packages and payment amounts without informing the customer? It's a NO from me.

Carl
(regular) Mon 20-Jan-20 17:51:01
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

Imagine this scenario: You're looking around for a change of ISP, perhaps one that offers full fibre that your current one does not, you decide to go with a new ISP, and contact your current one to give your cessation notice, only to find a few hours/days before they have placed you on a higher speed package, possibly with a reduction of your monthly payment, which has reset your minimum contract period to another 12 or 18 months, and an early cancellation will require a large fee. You would not be happy that they had not asked you first.

Except Iím not asking them to move my package, my complaint is every company now reduces prices for the SAME service and doesnít apply them to loyal customers.

This has nothing to do with changing anything EXCEPT lowering the price of the SAME service... why do people jump in with scenarios that have NOTHING to do with my point?

Also I donít see any reason why Zen canít reduce a direct debit, itís not a standing order so they should be able to modify the direct debit, every other company I have direct debits with have no problem charging me both less and more in the past.

CAPS just to make clear before someone else jumps in with scenarios that completely miss the point!

This is why I rarely waste time posting, within a couple of posts itís gone from being a suggestion to Zen that the price promise should include price reductions for the same service, to Zen automatically moving customers to higher packages without knowledge. This isnít Comcast... yet! 🙄
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 20-Jan-20 18:39:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by paulcdb:
Iím not asking them to move my package, my complaint is every company now reduces prices for the SAME service and doesnít apply them to loyal customers.
During my time with AAISP, several things happened to do with pricing.

(These may not be in chronological order).

All customers on the 80/20 package had the price reduced to the same as the 40/10, and simultaneously all 40/10 were upgraded to 80/20, whether or not that upgrade would benefit them.

Data allowances were upgraded several times for various allowance options.

A partial rollover of unused data was introduced, of 50% of the unused in a month being added to the base allowance for the next month. This rollover was cumulative, not time-limited, in that say you used 80%, next month your allowance was 120% of base. If you used 80% of that, the following month started with 124%. And so on.

These changes were announced on the website on in forums, and the charge reductions were reflected in the monthly invoice pre-direct debit being taken.

No new contracts were imposed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
  Print Thread

Jump to