User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tom12345
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-20 16:13:31
Print Post

FTTP 80/20 Lower Download speed than expected

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently moved house where I was on a Zen FTTC 80/20 connection and now have a Zen FTTP 80/20 connection in my new property.

Due to being close to the cabinet I used to get very good speeds on the FTTC connection (usually 76/18).

However on the FTTP connection I never get above 71 download. The upload is always 20/21. I have been through numerous checks with Zen including connecting to the ONT directly and dialling the PPPoE connection from my laptop but the speeds never change.

They are now saying that 70 download is acceptable on the 80/20 package but I feel this is not right! I got better speeds on the FTTC connection than the FTTP one! It feels to me that I'm on a 70/20 package.

Does anyone else have Zen's 80/20 FTTP package and can compare their download speeds to mine?

Thanks,
Tom
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jan-20 19:11:33
Print Post

Re: FTTP 80/20 Lower Download speed than expected

[re: tom12345] [link to this post]

FTTP could be different bras ip profile rate to FTTC might be the reason for that?
Standard User stephengw
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-20 18:34:19
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
FTTP could be different bras ip profile rate to FTTC might be the reason for that?

Don't believe there is a BRAS profile for FTTP? It's fibre all the way, you should get what you are paying for, IMHO.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitfit1
(learned) Thu 23-Jan-20 20:38:31
Print Post

I'm with Zen on a FTTC connection and have been for years. When i first connected my download speeds were always around 80 (always have had an 80/20 package). Over the years my download is now 63/64. I fully expected that to happen because i was a very early adopter, with low contention. Obviously more peeps have connected to the same cab and it has been nice and steady at 63/64 for the last couple of years.
I would suspect in you case that lot's of peeps have taken up FTTP in your area, what i can't understand though is why you would only subscribe to 80/20 on an FTTP connection, it makes no sense ?
If i ever had FTTP to my house i'd just subscribe to the fastest connection possible.
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Thu 23-Jan-20 23:39:32
Print Post

I've got FTTP with both Zen & BT

On Zen 40/10 and get 37-38 down and 10 up.

On BT, I get 314-323 down and 50 up

Not sure if that'll help you or not.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User tom12345
(newbie) Fri 24-Jan-20 12:56:19
Print Post

[re: kitfit1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitfit1:
I would suspect in you case that lot's of peeps have taken up FTTP in your area,

From what I can see on all the poles around this area I'm pretty much the only one (the other cables are copper only and not plugged into the fibre connection box on the pole).

In reply to a post by kitfit1:
what i can't understand though is why you would only subscribe to 80/20 on an FTTP connection, it makes no sense ?
If i ever had FTTP to my house i'd just subscribe to the fastest connection possible.

Because moving house is expensive and I can't afford to double my monthly internet bill by going for Zen's top package (let alone pay for the 1gbps package that some ISPs are offering!)
  Print Thread

Jump to