User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(member) Tue 31-Mar-20 10:16:51
Print Post

Migration

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Have just had a successful migration to Zen from BT yesterday. All up and running by 7.30 am. Seems ok so far. Slightly slower than BT was. Is there a settling period with FTTC? Also I can now have IPv6 with Zen. Do I really need it for a normal home setup (1 desktop computer, 2 laptops, and various tablets/mobile phones)?

Thanks

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPhone 7 128GB
BT Infinity 80/20 Unlimited
Huawei Openreach VDSL modem/Apple Time Capsule
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 31-Mar-20 11:33:49
Print Post

Re: Migration

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

There is no "settling period" of the 10-day kind that BT Wholesale and many ISPs still say.

Note that the line-configuring DLM is by Openreach, and controls all FTTC circuits. Not the BT Wholesale DLM that only controls non-LLU ADSLx lines. However on BT Wholesale connections the sync speed is passed from Openreach to the BTW one which sets the IP Profile for those.

On a migration the Openreach DLM is reset to the stability settings requested by the ISP and interleaving is turned on. The effect of turning on interleaving, if previously on Fast Path, is that latency/ping is increased by 8ms and the sync speed will be lowered by several Mbps.

Those two things will normally return to normal within 2-3 days and the sync increase.

Do not try re-sync'ing to improve the speed during the rest of the first day or the whole of the second day. The OR DLM is particularly sensitive then. In effect, a 2-day period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 31-Mar-20 11:37:22)

Standard User astanden
(member) Tue 31-Mar-20 19:38:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto.

Will see what happens in a few days.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram 2TB Fusion drive
iPad Air (6th Gen) 32 GB
iPhone 11 128GB
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 80/20
AVM FRITZ!Box 7530

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Mar-20 23:19:22
Print Post

Also I can now have IPv6 with Zen
Obviously of no relevance now however IPv6 has been available on BT for some years.
Standard User astanden
(member) Tue 31-Mar-20 23:58:53
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

This is the first time I’ve been able to use it natively, as previously I used an Apple Time Capsule which doesn’t play nicely with IPv6.

iPad Air (6th Gen) 32 GB
iPhone 11 128GB
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 80/20
AVM FRITZ!Box 7530
Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Thu 02-Apr-20 06:58:54
Print Post

You need to ask for IPV6

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-...
  Print Thread

Jump to