User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zebb_edi
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 09:43:49
Print Post

Re: 900 down/220 up from Zen?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Customer services told me that it was due to come soon, and as mentioned previously was delayed due to the outbreak.

I was a bit surprised to find out they don't offer any kind of voip for their fttp services either. Just normal phone lines which then obviously work out more expensive.

Not sure if that's normal for ISP's or not. My FTTP line is due soon so don't really know enough about voice services via it.
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Fri 22-May-20 18:18:01
Print Post

[re: zebb_edi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zebb_edi:
Customer services told me that it was due to come soon, and as mentioned previously was delayed due to the outbreak.

I was a bit surprised to find out they don't offer any kind of voip for their fttp services either. Just normal phone lines which then obviously work out more expensive.

Not sure if that's normal for ISP's or not. My FTTP line is due soon so don't really know enough about voice services via it.

Zen definitely have a residential VOIP service. It’s strange it seems to have vanished from their website. Zen Talk or something.
Standard User Angel_Rex
(committed) Mon 25-May-20 20:51:04
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

I've just noticed this in my ZEN Portal :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Work in progress, since 19/05/2020 04:46

Waiting for regrade - IN PROGRESS FOR 6 DAYS
Zen FTTP GEA Migration
I'm currently on ZEN FTTP 80/20 - Any idea what it is and could it be related?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-May-20 23:59:32
Print Post

[re: Angel_Rex] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Angel_Rex:
I've just noticed this in my ZEN Portal :
Work in progress, since 19/05/2020 04:46

Waiting for regrade - IN PROGRESS FOR 6 DAYS
Zen FTTP GEA Migration
I'm currently on ZEN FTTP 80/20 - Any idea what it is and could it be related?

Migration from BTW FTTP to Zen GEA FFTTP would be my guess.
Standard User Angel_Rex
(committed) Tue 26-May-20 00:02:47
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I didn't realise there was a difference - I've been with Zen since 2018 on FTTP.

Is the GEA better or worse than BTW? Currently I get 4ms ping to bbc.co.uk and tracert is 6 hops.

I don't get any lag or buffering or jitter. Hopefully this stays the same or I shall have to consider moving :/
Standard User idmanager
(regular) Mon 15-Jun-20 17:03:26
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

looked at BT and they are selling 900 service for same price zen are charging me 330 for
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Jun-20 19:00:03
Print Post

[re: Angel_Rex] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Angel_Rex:
I didn't realise there was a difference - I've been with Zen since 2018 on FTTP.

Is the GEA better or worse than BTW? Currently I get 4ms ping to bbc.co.uk and tracert is 6 hops.

I don't get any lag or buffering or jitter. Hopefully this stays the same or I shall have to consider moving :/
A bit of a mixup there smile.

All FTTP is Openreach. Not BTW, not Zen, not Sky or any other ISP. It goes from a fibre head-end exchange to underground aggregation points. From where it splits off and ultimately end up at the subscriber's premises.

At the fibre exchange all the fibre connections are connected over the appropriate Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) link cable to the required ISP's or wholesaler's backhaul. Each ISP or Wholesaler including BT Wholesale has its own GEA cables.

So .…

What jaydub is suggesting is that Zen are moving you from their BT Wholesale backhaul at the exchange, (which they pay BTW to route along with many others to one of a small number of handover nodes dotted around the country), to their own (probably newly installed) backhaul from the exchange. That costing them significantly less than getting BTW to carry it most of the way.

So your connection being "migrated" from an FTTP<>BTW GEA cable at the change to an FTTP<>ZEN GEA cable.

(Edit: Several clarification mods).
(Edit 2: Dammit LOL. I've just noticed the date-stamp of what I replied to smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 15-Jun-20 19:10:06)

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jun-20 21:43:35
Print Post

[re: idmanager] [link to this post]

Yes, but Zen have always been a premium ISP in that respect. Having said that, with FTTP I'm not sure that but makes a difference?
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 15-Jun-20 23:05:25
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Geordish:
In reply to a post by zebb_edi:

Zen definitely have a residential VOIP service. It’s strange it seems to have vanished from their website. Zen Talk or something.

They do and I use it. But it is for outgoing calls only with a 1000 minutes free each month to 01/02/03 numbers.
Standard User Steikums
(newbie) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:06:56
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

I asked a couple of weeks ago and all they said was it's coming but no ETA but they'd let me know when it would be.

Curious to know the pricing as i am currently on their top residential 300/50 FTTP package which is £59.99.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to