User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robsdesk
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 11:01:01
Print Post

Re: 900 down/220 up from Zen?

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

My service regraded overnight, however speeds don't appear to be as consistent as those using BT Retail, I'm hitting peaks of about 110-120 upload (on the 900/110 service), but can't get higher than about 550 down, wired connection to a ER4 router (watching that CPU isn't getting saturated). Will try the Fritz router later on, but any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

rob

Edited by robsdesk (Tue 14-Jul-20 11:03:48)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 14-Jul-20 12:25:05
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Geordish:
In reply to a post by zebb_edi:
Customer services told me that it was due to come soon, and as mentioned previously was delayed due to the outbreak.

I was a bit surprised to find out they don't offer any kind of voip for their fttp services either. Just normal phone lines which then obviously work out more expensive.

Not sure if that's normal for ISP's or not. My FTTP line is due soon so don't really know enough about voice services via it.

Zen definitely have a residential VOIP service. It’s strange it seems to have vanished from their website. Zen Talk or something.

Got it myself but it's outgoing only with a CLID of your landline number. It cost £5.10 a month and comes with 1000 free minutes to 01/02/03 numbers. Can be configured into any SIP phone.
Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-20 14:15:22
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Just looking on the Zen site today I they are appearing for me. The FTTP services are:

35*(£34.99), 100(£38.99), 500(£55) & 900(£70) if you want a phone line add £10 to all packages.

VDSL with a Phone line still cheaper for the 38mb option. VDSL up to 80mb cheaper than the 100mb option if you're getting 75mb and don't mind the lack of the extra 25mb.

*called 35, but average speed is 38!

Zen 2x services:
Line 1 (B26) 75mb down - 19mb up (Fibre 2)
Line 2 (TQ5) 39.9mb down - 9.9mb up (Fibre 1)

Edited by kebabselector (Wed 15-Jul-20 14:19:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robsdesk
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 14:00:53
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

I spoke to Zen this morning about my regrade issue, person I spoke to said there is a known problem with capping on their side with FTTP regrades, since then my upload is now 120, download still stuck at 300 so some progress.
Standard User mjbennett413
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 21:22:03
Print Post

[re: robsdesk] [link to this post]

I spoke to Zen yesterday and they were happy to regrade me from 300 to 500 even though my contract had only been running a few weeks. Does anyone know if the change shows up in the Zen customer portal (and if so where)? The guy I spoke to didn't seem completely sure what I was asking for at first.
Standard User FakeJake
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 23:09:37
Print Post

Similar situation here. I’m using the fritzbox router and can get around 500 to 600Mbps on some decent Speedtest.net servers.
Fast.com tends to provide some better results but tends to go no higher than 800.

Is this not quite as good as other ISPs? I honestly was beginning to think that it was a combination of servers not being able to keep up and my ageing desktop pc. I tried downloading a large game on Steam but topped out at around 300Mbps as my cpu was getting hammered!
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Fri 17-Jul-20 19:42:58
Print Post

[re: FakeJake] [link to this post]

Spoke to them again today, now being raised as a fault with Openreach, on my line at least you can see the upload has been lifted but download is going no higher than 300mbps, did the usual three appointment times thing, hopefully when openreach get the issue reported they'll see it's a provisioning issue and resolve...
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Mon 20-Jul-20 17:49:31
Print Post

Openreach came out this morning, confirmed nothing wrong with the physical connection as you'd expect, but that it was clearly under spec. Openreach have a further fault open, Zen been in touch and will continue working on it tomorrow.

If anyone else is in this situation worth raising a case, certainly shouldn't be behaving in this way.
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Thu 23-Jul-20 15:04:36
Print Post

Another update on this, my service was migrated off the BT Wholesale service last month (unconnected to this regrade), I'm now being migrated back to that service, with the 900/115 service, sounds like a potential capacity issue.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 23-Jul-20 16:35:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by robsdesk:
Another update on this, my service was migrated off the BT Wholesale service last month (unconnected to this regrade), I'm now being migrated back to that service, with the 900/115 service, sounds like a potential capacity issue.

Or you're on an exchange where Zen don't have their own backhaul but purchase from someone else that doesn't offer that product wholesale.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to