User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:57:26
Print Post

Re: 900 down/220 up from Zen?

[re: tboorman] [link to this post]

That sounds familiar, worth following up with Zen if you've not already, the faults team seem to have a good handle on things.

Assuming the same issue as with me, I wonder when Zen will get a handle on this, sort of sounds like they may be unable to provide the higher download speeds.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-20 19:44:30
Print Post

[re: robsdesk] [link to this post]

I've followed up with Zen, and they've escalated it with Ooenreach, and have arranged for another engineer to visit on Monday.

I was not reassured by the person from Zen's fault team that the Openreach engineer spoke to yesterday. He said to him that if they can't resolve it, they'd just have to downgrade me to a package with a lower download speed...
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Aug-20 13:24:21
Print Post

I've noticed that I get varying download speeds reported, depending on which speed test site I use. These were all taken one after another on a wired connection with WiFi disabled on my router, and with the Internet security package on my laptop disabled:

fast.com - 700 Mbps download, 93 Mbps upload
speedtest.net - 250 Mbps download, 96 Mbps upload
thinkbroadband.com - 237 Mbps download, 93 Mbps upload
checker.ofcom.org.uk - 467 Mbps download, 91 Mbps upload
speedtest.btwholesale.com - 320 Mbps download, 210 Mbps upload

The traffic monitor on my router showed the maximum download speed during the above tests as 638 Mbps.

Edited by tboorman (Sun 09-Aug-20 13:26:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Aug-20 09:54:59
Print Post

The Openreach engineer didn't turn up on Monday - he called me to say that there was nothing that they could do, and that it was a service provider issue. BT Wholesale have now rebuilt my circuit, but the download speeds are no better, so Zen have arranged for an Openreach engineer to visit next Monday - I'm not sure what he's going to be able to do though.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 14-Aug-20 10:44:47
Print Post

Are you consistently getting > 500 Mbps on fast.com? If so, then that suggests there’s nothing wrong with your download speeds and you have been correctly provisioned on the 1000/115 product, especially if openreach/btw have rebuilt your circuit. Worth remembering there’s very few testers out there which can cope with the full 900 Mbps, I certainly don’t see anywhere near that on the TBB tester but fast.com and the Xilo and Vodafone Ookla Speedtest.net servers regularly show 800+ Mbps.

Giganet UltraBEAM FTTP 1000/115 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Aug-20 14:47:13
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

I do not consistently get speeds above 500 Mbps on fast.com, and I have never seen speeds higher than 200 to 300 Mbps on either TBB or speedtest.net.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 15-Aug-20 15:18:04
Print Post

Cheers. I assume you’ve already done tests using a direct pc connection to ONT to rule out router issues?

Giganet UltraBEAM FTTP 1000/115 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Aug-20 08:29:21
Print Post

Yes, and so have the two Openreach engineers that have been here.
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Mon 17-Aug-20 08:40:40
Print Post

My line was shifted back to a BT Wholesale based connection rather than Zen's own last week, I'm now seeing 900 down since the move, so certainly an issue there which has been resolved.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Aug-20 14:52:22
Print Post

[re: robsdesk] [link to this post]

I have always been on BT Wholesale's backhaul. A third Openreach engineer has been today, and has confirmed again that there is no issue at my end, and said that it must be a backhaul issue. I am now waiting for Zen to investigate further.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to