User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Apr-20 20:37:11
Print Post

900 down/220 up from Zen?

[link to this post]

I've been with Zen for a very long time, only leaving when BeThere offered something different but came back again.

Are Zen going to offer the 1Gb package soon? It seems odd that BT is ahead....
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Fri 24-Apr-20 23:23:14
Print Post

Re: 900 down/220 up from Zen?

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

I asked about the 900/110 residential package on Kitz and was told by CarlT (not a representative of Zen but a knowledgeable person who posts on here too):

"They were planning end of this month or early next. No idea now."

Edited by alexatkin (Fri 24-Apr-20 23:24:04)

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Sat 25-Apr-20 09:33:58
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

More like May/June now due to some virus knocking around.

Thanks for the name drop, Alex!

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Apr-20 16:38:57
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I heard the lockdown could be extents to six months! frown

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Sat 25-Apr-20 17:10:12
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Would not surprise me at all. Whilever a vocal minority are not taking it seriously, its not going to improve.

Not sure it will impact this timeline though, as its going to be more about making sure the infrastructure is there to support it and that work should be ongoing.

New FTTP connections will be a problem, but regrades to faster service should be largely unaffected.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-May-20 00:36:47
Print Post

I'm still hopeful of it being soon, I do check Zen's website every so often.
Standard User JakeDog
(newbie) Sat 16-May-20 00:07:44
Print Post

If this ISP Review article is anything to go by it sounds like Zen, and any other ISP that use BT Wholesale (even just for some parts of the UK), will have some commercial hurdles to get over if they want to offer a service that competes with the BT residential 1Gb service

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/bt-who...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-May-20 03:31:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Would not surprise me at all. Whilever a vocal minority are not taking it seriously, its not going to improve.

Not sure it will impact this timeline though, as its going to be more about making sure the infrastructure is there to support it and that work should be ongoing.

New FTTP connections will be a problem, but regrades to faster service should be largely unaffected.

To quarantine the sick is necessary but quarantining the healthy is tyranny
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sat 16-May-20 09:32:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
To quarantine the sick is necessary but quarantining the healthy is tyranny

Valid point. Presuming you are referring to the current state, could you let us know how you sort the ill from the healthy, please.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-May-20 10:51:17
Print Post

[re: JakeDog] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JakeDog:
If this ISP Review article is anything to go by it sounds like Zen, and any other ISP that use BT Wholesale (even just for some parts of the UK), will have some commercial hurdles to get over if they want to offer a service that competes with the BT residential 1Gb service

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/bt-who...
That ISPreview report is quite disconcerting. Not just for Zen. Stinks of predatory pricing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User zebb_edi
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 09:43:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Customer services told me that it was due to come soon, and as mentioned previously was delayed due to the outbreak.

I was a bit surprised to find out they don't offer any kind of voip for their fttp services either. Just normal phone lines which then obviously work out more expensive.

Not sure if that's normal for ISP's or not. My FTTP line is due soon so don't really know enough about voice services via it.
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Fri 22-May-20 18:18:01
Print Post

[re: zebb_edi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zebb_edi:
Customer services told me that it was due to come soon, and as mentioned previously was delayed due to the outbreak.

I was a bit surprised to find out they don't offer any kind of voip for their fttp services either. Just normal phone lines which then obviously work out more expensive.

Not sure if that's normal for ISP's or not. My FTTP line is due soon so don't really know enough about voice services via it.

Zen definitely have a residential VOIP service. It’s strange it seems to have vanished from their website. Zen Talk or something.
Standard User Angel_Rex
(committed) Mon 25-May-20 20:51:04
Print Post

I've just noticed this in my ZEN Portal :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Work in progress, since 19/05/2020 04:46

Waiting for regrade - IN PROGRESS FOR 6 DAYS
Zen FTTP GEA Migration
I'm currently on ZEN FTTP 80/20 - Any idea what it is and could it be related?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-May-20 23:59:32
Print Post

[re: Angel_Rex] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Angel_Rex:
I've just noticed this in my ZEN Portal :
Work in progress, since 19/05/2020 04:46

Waiting for regrade - IN PROGRESS FOR 6 DAYS
Zen FTTP GEA Migration
I'm currently on ZEN FTTP 80/20 - Any idea what it is and could it be related?

Migration from BTW FTTP to Zen GEA FFTTP would be my guess.
Standard User Angel_Rex
(committed) Tue 26-May-20 00:02:47
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I didn't realise there was a difference - I've been with Zen since 2018 on FTTP.

Is the GEA better or worse than BTW? Currently I get 4ms ping to bbc.co.uk and tracert is 6 hops.

I don't get any lag or buffering or jitter. Hopefully this stays the same or I shall have to consider moving :/
Standard User idmanager
(regular) Mon 15-Jun-20 17:03:26
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

looked at BT and they are selling 900 service for same price zen are charging me 330 for
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Jun-20 19:00:03
Print Post

[re: Angel_Rex] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Angel_Rex:
I didn't realise there was a difference - I've been with Zen since 2018 on FTTP.

Is the GEA better or worse than BTW? Currently I get 4ms ping to bbc.co.uk and tracert is 6 hops.

I don't get any lag or buffering or jitter. Hopefully this stays the same or I shall have to consider moving :/
A bit of a mixup there smile.

All FTTP is Openreach. Not BTW, not Zen, not Sky or any other ISP. It goes from a fibre head-end exchange to underground aggregation points. From where it splits off and ultimately end up at the subscriber's premises.

At the fibre exchange all the fibre connections are connected over the appropriate Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) link cable to the required ISP's or wholesaler's backhaul. Each ISP or Wholesaler including BT Wholesale has its own GEA cables.

So .…

What jaydub is suggesting is that Zen are moving you from their BT Wholesale backhaul at the exchange, (which they pay BTW to route along with many others to one of a small number of handover nodes dotted around the country), to their own (probably newly installed) backhaul from the exchange. That costing them significantly less than getting BTW to carry it most of the way.

So your connection being "migrated" from an FTTP<>BTW GEA cable at the change to an FTTP<>ZEN GEA cable.

(Edit: Several clarification mods).
(Edit 2: Dammit LOL. I've just noticed the date-stamp of what I replied to smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 15-Jun-20 19:10:06)

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jun-20 21:43:35
Print Post

[re: idmanager] [link to this post]

Yes, but Zen have always been a premium ISP in that respect. Having said that, with FTTP I'm not sure that but makes a difference?
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 15-Jun-20 23:05:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Geordish:

Zen definitely have a residential VOIP service. It’s strange it seems to have vanished from their website. Zen Talk or something.

They do and I use it. But it is for outgoing calls only with a 1000 minutes free each month to 01/02/03 numbers.
Standard User Steikums
(newbie) Thu 25-Jun-20 16:06:56
Print Post

I asked a couple of weeks ago and all they said was it's coming but no ETA but they'd let me know when it would be.

Curious to know the pricing as i am currently on their top residential 300/50 FTTP package which is £59.99.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 10-Jul-20 08:34:15
Print Post

According to ISPr, Zen have soft launched the 1 Gig & 1/2 Gig FTTP services, though nothing on their website just yet. Apparently the 1 Gig service is priced around £70/m. Might give them a caller later on to get more details.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/07/isp-ze...

Edit: prices confirmed

Fibre 500: £55/m on 2 year contract with £55 activation fee
Fibre 900: £70/m on 2 year contract with £55 activation fee

Above prices is for data only services, voice service (if req’d) is an extra £10/m

Also the fibre 900 is based on the Openreach 1000/115 tier, NOT on the 1000/220 one ( as per thread title)

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by Highland76 (Fri 10-Jul-20 09:09:46)

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Fri 10-Jul-20 13:20:58
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Also the fibre 900 is based on the Openreach 1000/115 tier, NOT on the 1000/220 one ( as per thread title)

Er, daftish question but what does this mean? You'll only get "up to" 115, not 220? Or its not available in 1000/220 areas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jul-20 14:39:45
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

It means the upload profile has a maximum speed of 115 Mbps. There are no 1000/115 specific areas.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Fri 10-Jul-20 14:46:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
In reply to a post by Highland76:

Er, daftish question but what does this mean? You'll only get "up to" 115, not 220? Or its not available in 1000/220 areas?

Openreach sell 2 different Gigabit FTTP products to CPs - one with 115 upload and the other with 220 upload. Both are available to order at any property showing Gigabit availability on the dsl checker however the latter is considerably more expensive at wholesale level which is why the cheapest Gigabit packages come with the 115 upload. The cheapest 1000/220 service I know of is £200+ pm with Cerberus, though once BT Business release the same tier, this *should* be far cheaper - most likely < £150/m.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User Taaketa
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 14:03:56
Print Post

Spoke to Zen today and they offered me a 900 profile which I think was in the £60 p/m range. However, I have settled on their new 115 profile for £38.99 p/m. These have only been decided on Thursday past.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 14:11:19
Print Post

[re: Taaketa] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Taaketa:
I have settled on their new 115 profile for £38.99 p/m.

A typo ("115") or something so new its never been seen before! FTTP not Gfast?
Standard User Rushmere2012
(newbie) Mon 13-Jul-20 15:52:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
In reply to a post by Taaketa:
I have settled on their new 115 profile for £38.99 p/m.

A typo ("115") or something so new its never been seen before! FTTP not Gfast?

Don't think it is a typo - When I spoke with them, they said they have a new Full Fibre 1 service which is 115/20, and then they have the Fibre 500 for £55 and Fibre 900 services.

Just waiting on mine to activate - at present the tracking says "Manually place modify order with BT Wholesale - IN PROGRESS FOR 3 DAYS"
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:12:41
Print Post

115Mbps is indeed a product that Openreach provide.

You can read all about the various profiles supported at their technical documentation here: https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport...
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:19:17
Print Post

115Mbps is indeed a product that Openreach provide.

You can read all about the various profiles supported at their technical documentation here: https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport...

So much choice. Too much choice! I'm sure they have a reason for having 110, 115 and 120 options.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jul-20 16:26:57
Print Post

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/prici...

^^^
All of the FTTP speeds available and the OpenReach price for each.

ISP's are free to sell any tiers they wish.
Standard User robsdesk
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 11:01:01
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

My service regraded overnight, however speeds don't appear to be as consistent as those using BT Retail, I'm hitting peaks of about 110-120 upload (on the 900/110 service), but can't get higher than about 550 down, wired connection to a ER4 router (watching that CPU isn't getting saturated). Will try the Fritz router later on, but any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

rob

Edited by robsdesk (Tue 14-Jul-20 11:03:48)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 14-Jul-20 12:25:05
Print Post

Got it myself but it's outgoing only with a CLID of your landline number. It cost £5.10 a month and comes with 1000 free minutes to 01/02/03 numbers. Can be configured into any SIP phone.
Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-20 14:15:22
Print Post

Just looking on the Zen site today I they are appearing for me. The FTTP services are:

35*(£34.99), 100(£38.99), 500(£55) & 900(£70) if you want a phone line add £10 to all packages.

VDSL with a Phone line still cheaper for the 38mb option. VDSL up to 80mb cheaper than the 100mb option if you're getting 75mb and don't mind the lack of the extra 25mb.

*called 35, but average speed is 38!

Zen 2x services:
Line 1 (B26) 75mb down - 19mb up (Fibre 2)
Line 2 (TQ5) 39.9mb down - 9.9mb up (Fibre 1)

Edited by kebabselector (Wed 15-Jul-20 14:19:59)

Standard User robsdesk
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 14:00:53
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

I spoke to Zen this morning about my regrade issue, person I spoke to said there is a known problem with capping on their side with FTTP regrades, since then my upload is now 120, download still stuck at 300 so some progress.
Standard User mjbennett413
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 21:22:03
Print Post

[re: robsdesk] [link to this post]

I spoke to Zen yesterday and they were happy to regrade me from 300 to 500 even though my contract had only been running a few weeks. Does anyone know if the change shows up in the Zen customer portal (and if so where)? The guy I spoke to didn't seem completely sure what I was asking for at first.
Standard User FakeJake
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 23:09:37
Print Post

Similar situation here. I’m using the fritzbox router and can get around 500 to 600Mbps on some decent Speedtest.net servers.
Fast.com tends to provide some better results but tends to go no higher than 800.

Is this not quite as good as other ISPs? I honestly was beginning to think that it was a combination of servers not being able to keep up and my ageing desktop pc. I tried downloading a large game on Steam but topped out at around 300Mbps as my cpu was getting hammered!
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Fri 17-Jul-20 19:42:58
Print Post

[re: FakeJake] [link to this post]

Spoke to them again today, now being raised as a fault with Openreach, on my line at least you can see the upload has been lifted but download is going no higher than 300mbps, did the usual three appointment times thing, hopefully when openreach get the issue reported they'll see it's a provisioning issue and resolve...
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Mon 20-Jul-20 17:49:31
Print Post

Openreach came out this morning, confirmed nothing wrong with the physical connection as you'd expect, but that it was clearly under spec. Openreach have a further fault open, Zen been in touch and will continue working on it tomorrow.

If anyone else is in this situation worth raising a case, certainly shouldn't be behaving in this way.
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Thu 23-Jul-20 15:04:36
Print Post

Another update on this, my service was migrated off the BT Wholesale service last month (unconnected to this regrade), I'm now being migrated back to that service, with the 900/115 service, sounds like a potential capacity issue.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Thu 23-Jul-20 16:35:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by robsdesk:
Another update on this, my service was migrated off the BT Wholesale service last month (unconnected to this regrade), I'm now being migrated back to that service, with the 900/115 service, sounds like a potential capacity issue.

Or you're on an exchange where Zen don't have their own backhaul but purchase from someone else that doesn't offer that product wholesale.

Standard User zebb_edi
(learned) Fri 24-Jul-20 09:23:48
Print Post

So is anyone on the higher 900 package successfully receiving those kind of speeds? I've been following this thread with keen interest.

My DrayTek doesn't support speeds that high, so was thinking of replacing it with the FritzBox from zen but was hoping for others experience first.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 24-Jul-20 09:53:43
Print Post

Yep. All good.

Zen+BT

https://i.postimg.cc/C1qyfYkz/Fast-Test.png
https://i.postimg.cc/dtJXJGH7/Speeds.png

Standard User zebb_edi
(learned) Fri 24-Jul-20 10:00:29
Print Post

wow....you have both bonded or something?

What router area you using? Did you manage to get 900 using just the fritz and only zen?

Edited by zebb_edi (Fri 24-Jul-20 10:41:41)

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 24-Jul-20 11:05:19
Print Post

wow....you have both bonded or something?

What router area you using? Did you manage to get 900 using just the fritz and only zen?

Using pfsense. Haven't tried with the Fritz but can confirm the Zen service is delivering as it should be.

Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jul-20 15:03:28
Print Post

Did you manage to get this resolved? I have been regraded to Zen's Full Fibre 900 service today, and have not been able to get download speeds above 250 Mbps. I have got a case logged with Zen about this, and am waiting for them to get back to me.
Standard User JakeDog
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-20 15:35:21
Print Post

[re: tboorman] [link to this post]

Is that over wifi?
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Sat 01-Aug-20 09:56:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by tboorman:
Did you manage to get this resolved? I have been regraded to Zen's Full Fibre 900 service today, and have not been able to get download speeds above 250 Mbps. I have got a case logged with Zen about this, and am waiting for them to get back to me.

They're still progressing my regrade back to BT Wholesale, I think it got stuck with provisioning for a few days, being told about another week to get it done.

Are you seeing 120 on the upload, I do and about 300 down. They seem to know about the issue, took a few days after the openreach visit to get it moving.
Standard User FakeJake
(newbie) Sat 01-Aug-20 11:20:08
Print Post

My regrade was one that worked in the standard time frame.

Unfortunately what I have found is that the supplied fritz!box doesn't appear to be up to the job. I can get around 600ishMbps OK, but anything above that is very erratic.

To test, I connected up a Mikrotik Hex router and noticed a difference immediately.
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9845535549
Thats more like it!

Unfortunately I don't really like the Hex. Its... very complicated to set up and maintain, and it seems to cause some odd issues occasionally. I don't want odd issues when I'm still working from home full time!

I cannot fault the friz!box for reliability. And it's wifi performance is great (for it's spec. you cant pull more than around 500Mbps from its 2x2 80MHz connection, which is expected). I also use the built in DECT base station for VOIP (data only service).

I may contact them and ask them if they are considering supplying something more powerful that I can upgrade to.
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Sat 01-Aug-20 11:23:23
Print Post

[re: FakeJake] [link to this post]

I take it you're using the new one (don't remember the model but supplied when I upgraded), I'm using an edge router 4, tried the Fritz to see if it was any different but not for me.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:52:08
Print Post

Yes, those are around the speeds that I'm seeing. An Openreach engineer came last Thursday, and confirmed that my profile was set correctly, and that the light level reaching my ONT was fine, but agreed that I wasn't getting acceptable download speeds. Another Openreach engineer came today and did some tests while on the phone with someone from BT Wholesale using their test head. They were getting download speeds of around 500 Mbps with that, which supposedly is the fastest that they can achieve with it. The person from BT Wholesale said that he was going to log a ticket for 2nd line to investigate further.
Standard User robsdesk
(learned) Mon 03-Aug-20 19:57:26
Print Post

That sounds familiar, worth following up with Zen if you've not already, the faults team seem to have a good handle on things.

Assuming the same issue as with me, I wonder when Zen will get a handle on this, sort of sounds like they may be unable to provide the higher download speeds.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Aug-20 19:44:30
Print Post

I've followed up with Zen, and they've escalated it with Ooenreach, and have arranged for another engineer to visit on Monday.

I was not reassured by the person from Zen's fault team that the Openreach engineer spoke to yesterday. He said to him that if they can't resolve it, they'd just have to downgrade me to a package with a lower download speed...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to