User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User victoria1214
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-20 16:58:28
Print Post

Re: Zen FTTP Latency

[re: dan_miles86] [link to this post]

Hi @dan_miles86,

That graph makes my Aquiss 80/20 connection look quite good (#sorry!): BQM

(for reference, the yellow spikes every 30 minutes are a cron job running speedtest cli and the large red spike today was a pfsense update installing)
Standard User MercuryRH2
(newbie) Fri 26-Jun-20 18:59:23
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I’m seeing exactly the same in FTTC. The Thinkbroadband BQM started showing up to 20% packet loss through their Manchester Gateway a few days ago, and was dreadful last night. Before then it was clear all the time. A ping test also showed a 20% loss. Zen have asked me to run their speedtest (provided by TB too). From memory I think their system only records a significant drop over a 15 min interval and may not have the required resolution.
All credit to Zen’s Tech Support in that they are at least trying to work out where the issue is.

Last night: -My Broadband Ping]
22 June:
My Broadband Ping

Edited by MercuryRH2 (Fri 26-Jun-20 19:00:49)

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Jun-20 19:09:15
Print Post

[re: MercuryRH2] [link to this post]

A week or two ago I was getting the exact same BQM at that time of evening. Considerably worse now and as then, nothing wrong according to Zen response, so not sure where the problem is here other than major router brainstorm in the early hours of today. As I have said, IPv6 running OK now, but having to rely on a rubbish IPv4 for some sites is not good.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 26-Jun-20 19:35:54
Print Post

They seem to have done something with the routing as I can't connect to the Manchester gateways anymore.

I'm connecting to vt1.corX.londX.ptn.zen.net.uk [51.148.72.22] (X has been 1 and 2 so far)
Standard User AndrewNi
(member) Fri 26-Jun-20 20:37:11
Print Post

@MercuryRH2

That lossy dip is pretty much the same shape as mine last night, BQM.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Jun-20 22:23:56
Print Post

[re: Bootlebarth] [link to this post]

Our speed test is a small TCP packet over HTTP so not perfect mirror for ICMP ping.

No idea what zoom is doing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User neegal
(newbie) Sat 27-Jun-20 01:38:36
Print Post

I've been having really bad problems with Zen FTTC over the last week.

It's usually rock solid, full speed (72/18) at peak and off-peak, but every single night for the past week the connection has been going to sh!t around 6/7pm and only gradually improving closer to 11pm-midnight. It's 1am and the connection is perfect again, but over the peak evening hours it's barely useable.

The packet loss has also been terrible. Consistently between 5 and 10%. I play a lot of CoD Warzone and I've noticed the problem because the Warzone servers kick you off if too many packets are dropped....

At it's worst, according to speedtest and a few others, download speed can drop as low as 5Mbps with tons of packet loss. The line sync speed is always top speed and rebooting the modem doesn't help. Strangely, uplaod speed is never affected, it's always 18Mbps.

The internet conenction has been rock solid, low latency and 0 PL for the past 3 years, yet the past week something is badly wrong. Im in Manchester too btw.

Does Zen have capacity issues? i find it hard to believe they're not aware there's an issue, yet status.zen.co.uk shows nothing.

Edited by neegal (Sat 27-Jun-20 01:39:51)

Standard User MercuryRH2
(newbie) Sat 27-Jun-20 20:59:06
Print Post

[re: neegal] [link to this post]

Just trying an HD download in Sky Q as a test. Normal throughput is 60-64Mbps on the router. Currently at below 6. My VDSL service is now worse than the ADSL it replaced, but only on the down leg. No idea what is going on and my sync is still 71.1Mbps/19.99Mbps. Packet losses have been getting steadily worse on the TTB BQM all afternoon. Mine is an IPV4 service. This is the worst I have seen it. Everything was fine until the early hours of 23rd June.

I don’t know if it’s Zen, or whoever their data carrier is. For my line it’s Talk Talk Business apparently. Have they run out of capacity, misconfigured something, got a hardware issue or what?

Edited by MercuryRH2 (Sat 27-Jun-20 21:59:11)

Standard User MercuryRH2
(newbie) Sat 27-Jun-20 22:01:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Whatever it’s doing seems to be troubling Zen service capability at present.
Standard User MercuryRH2
(newbie) Sun 28-Jun-20 15:05:17
Print Post

[re: neegal] [link to this post]

Zen Tech Support have told me they are seeing an issue and are raising it with their supplier. No details, and no idea if it’s all FTTX or just one technology.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to