User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Tue 23-Jun-20 01:00:15
Print Post

Migrated Monday, assume IPv6 still requires email to enable?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Joined from IDNet, was more than happy enough but Zen 's price was more competitive and the bonus of maybe supporting the regional economy!

I've found an old KB article that says IPv6 isn't enabled automatically but you have to email the [email protected] address to ask?
Anyone been through this lately to know if this is still the process and and confirmed if it is a /56 or a /48 by default?

Plan to contact Zen directly but was giving it a few days for rate to settle in and not to have to troubleshoot it during WFH office hours.
Already tested whether it was sufficient to enable on the Fritz box but doesn't seem to acquire that way.

Only slight irritation is that Fritz box sets the local DNS domain name to .fritz.box for its DHCP service and I can't find a GUI option to override this (I want to keep using .home.lan). I'll be downloading the config file see if I can add or change it there, because if not I'll have to run DHCP service from a different device or reinstate my own TP-Link router.

Cheers smile

prlzx on [cyan]Zen[/cyan]: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Tue 23-Jun-20 10:22:34
Print Post

Re: Migrated Monday, assume IPv6 still requires email to ena

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
Only slight irritation is that Fritz box sets the local DNS domain name to .fritz.box for its DHCP service and I can't find a GUI option to override this (I want to keep using .home.lan).

I've found the AVM support people to be helpful, if a touch slow to reply, give then 24-48 hours. You have to fill out a form on the website to start the conversation by email. Let me know, I find the dot fritz dot box address annoying too!

https://en.avm.de/service/support-request/your-suppo...

(that's for the 7560, can't remember the router they currently supply...)
Standard User SFranks
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 12:34:58
Print Post

Hi,

I moved to Zen a few weeks ago, and used the [email protected] address to make my request. I got a /48 almost immediately. Easy done, good service. My only (very slight!) complaint is that I think IPv6 should be automatic to all customers.

I also wanted a different name for my internal network. I took the easy way: I disabled DHCP on the FritzBox and used the DHCP service in my Synology NAS box instead.

Stephen

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Tue 23-Jun-20 14:29:27
Print Post

I joined about 7 months ago and had to email. They enabled it and emailed back within an hour.

Not sure why they don't just enable it for everyone??

Edited by _Resonance_ (Tue 23-Jun-20 14:30:23)

Standard User ashdown
(learned) Tue 23-Jun-20 21:52:14
Print Post

To add to the other replies, Zen are happy to set up reverse DNS on an IPv6 allocation on request, although there's (unfortunately) no way of doing this via their portal.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 24-Jun-20 10:54:53
Print Post

[re: SFranks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SFranks:
I also wanted a different name for my internal network. I took the easy way: I disabled DHCP on the FritzBox and used the DHCP service in my Synology NAS box instead.

How does that work for WiFi then? Or the guest network? Or even incoming VPN?
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Wed 24-Jun-20 12:22:46
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Well a client on Wi-Fi won't care where the DHCP service is located as long as it can find one on the same underlying network. There's nothing about the protocol that specifically requires DHCP be hosted on a wireless router or indeed any router at all, it's just convenient for one-box setups.

VPN - depends if and how virtual tunnel addresses are assigned to clients. For example remote access types like L2TP can assign addresses from a pool and doesn't use DHCP(*). I don't think IKEv2 Mobile Client does either. Site to site tends to use static addresses for tunnel interfaces, and often for the real endpoint IPs too.

* Pedant note - DHCP inform is sometimes used to request classless static routes for connected VPN clients - It's not used to assign the client's L2TP virtual IP though.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps

Edited by prlzx (Wed 24-Jun-20 12:32:08)

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-20 01:23:01
Print Post

[re: ashdown] [link to this post]

Thanks for all replies, yes emailed [email protected] Tuesday eve and had a reply before 8:30am next morning, so that's working.

Checked backed up config file*
(actually a concatenated set of files for different optional features resulting in 4300+ lines of config!)

no obvious reference to DHCP domain name - surprising given how comprehensive otherwise -so may well go down the AVM path.

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Tue 30-Jun-20 15:48:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by prlzx:
... DHCP domain name ... AVM path ...

AVM support replied saying LAN DHCP domain name is hard-coded. Although they add that they will forward the enhancement request, I think it has been asked here before so not exactly confident it will change.

While I have overridden the domain name it on a couple of key devices that defeats the point of having DHCP provide all the LAN configuration so I will evaluate swapping in old VDSL2 router in or runnning a DHCP service on my VPN endpoint gateway.

Other than this anomaly my inbound migration is complete.

Print Thread

Jump to