User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hermzeap
(newbie) Sat 04-Jul-20 13:38:56
Print Post

Drop in FTTP Zen FF3 speed with change to Zen backhaul

[link to this post]

I have been on a FTTP Zen Full Fibre 3 package since March 2019.

Previously, I had consistent download speeds of 160 Mbit down and 30 Mbit up.

I noticed a slight drop in speed overnight on 24th June 2020 which coincided with this order - Zen FTTP GEA Migration - which I gather switched my FTTP line from BT Openreach backhaul to Zen backhaul. Now, the maximum speed of my FTTP line is 150 Mbit down and 30 Mbit up.

I am not sure why I have had a drop in speed with this change in backhaul. I would be interested to hear if other users on FTTP Zen Full Fibre 3 and Zen backhaul have also noticed a drop in maximum speed to 150 Mbit.

Zen have advised that they need to send out an Openreach engineer to check my FTTP line but I suspect the problem is due to the backhaul change not my FTTP line. I was thinking of upgrading to one of the faster packages when Zen introduce new full fibre options later this year, but I'll need to see if Zen can resolve this problem first.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Jul-20 13:54:17
Print Post

Re: Drop in FTTP Zen FF3 speed with change to Zen backhaul

[re: hermzeap] [link to this post]

Sending someone out to check the FTTP will be a waste of time.

If the new 150 is constituent and not obviously slower due to congestion, then suggestion is how Zen is capping the FTTP download speed is the issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hermzeap
(newbie) Sat 04-Jul-20 14:24:34
Print Post

Re: Drop in FTTP Zen FF3 speed with change to Zen backhaul

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That is what I suspected as well.

As part of the troubleshooting, I connected my PC directly to the ONT to isolate my home network and set up a PPPoE connection. I get consistent speeds of 150 Mbit down and 30 Mbit up directly connected to the ONT using TBB speed test.

I have tried to explain that I think this is a capped line speed to Zen technical support but Zen have insisted that they need to send out an Openreach engineer. I will raise this again with Zen on Monday.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to