User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Aug-20 12:30:07
Print Post

Zen Call Charge increase.

[link to this post]

I had notification of call charge increases today from Zen. First I must say I don't place calls with them at their already silly prices and 19p connection charge. Even the £ 29.99-lifetime broadband cost is no longer competitive and they are more expensive than BT itself and the product no better apart from customer service should you need it. This brings me to the question of why are the likes of me still paying line rental. I have several call options at 1p per minute connection charge free from Sipgate through to Skype and many other VOIP services which are the future anyway Zen. This along with per-second billing now rounding calls up to the next whole minute will hit those such as the elderly that have no option to landline calls ... Time to offer SOGEA to keep your customers!

https://ibb.co/sjF8kMf

Edited by professor973 (Thu 13-Aug-20 15:18:49)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-20 15:08:50
Print Post

Re: Zen Call Charge increase.

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
...This brings me to the question of why are the likes of me still paying line rental.

I also received this price increase notice - I'm on a call package with them - else I wouldn't have been happy with the changes!

Re. your "line rental" query. You'll need to pay line rental whoever you are with if you have broadband on a fixed line. Or have I missed your point?

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Aug-20 16:47:39
Print Post

SOGEA is an almost identical price from OpenReach.

If you don't use the landline then just don't use it.
Having no landline and therefore no line rental won't necessarily make it cheaper.
You're still renting an OpenReach line. It still needs maintained.

BT are using SOGEA for some customers and adding VOIP on top, same price as before.

If Zen start offering SOGEA I'd expect it to be the same price or very similar to what they currently charge.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-20 17:05:31
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Not used my Zen landline for outgoing calls for years - happy for people to call us, but I'm not paying for calls when we've all got mobiles with minutes included. Will ditch the phone line once I switch over to FTTP.

Zen 2x services:
Line 1 (B26) 75mb down - 19mb up (Fibre 2)
Line 2 (TQ5) 39.9mb down - 9.9mb up (Fibre 1)
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 17-Aug-20 18:55:41
Print Post

Making some extracts from what Zen has said with my observations following.

From 1st October, our tariffs will be changing and the cost of calls will be rounded up to the nearest minute rather than the nearest second. Despite these changes, we believe that our new prices remain excellent value – lower than the market average in fact – while allowing us to continue offering the exceptional level of service you’ve come to expect.

What difference will it make to my bill? This is dependent on how much you use your phone to make calls. If you make more than 40 minutes of landline calls a month, you’d benefit from taking our Line Rental Plus product which includes unlimited landline calls for £6.51 per month. If you use your phone less than that, you shouldn’t see a significant impact from these small amendments to our call tariffs.

My comments are:
Zen can't even be honest enough to say that their prices are increasing hiding behind the work changes implying there some increases and reductions.

No proof is given on their claim "that our new prices remain excellent value – lower than the market average in fact". Really? I now view them to be the most expensive to be found. Let me explain: A lift requires an emergency call facility which is seldom used but the line is also used to send daily data messages containing information on faults found. The call lasts just over a minute and currently costs just over 4p (per second billing). It will now cost From 1st October the cost will be 22p. We have four lifts each requiring a line,

Then if you have security gates with an "intercom" facility the call is often less than a minute then the call cost goes from 4p to 14p. Both these increases are very significant.

OK we are VoIP users but even in that neck of the wood there are price rises from Voipfone that sees the number rental rising by a third offset by a reduction in the mobile phone call charge.

Zen implores you to take out a call package for X number of free minutes but for the £6.51 a month that only is for calls to 01/02/03 numbers Funny enough it seems that there is an every increasing need to call mobile numbers which without a another call package call costs rise from 11p to 15p a minute with a new 6p connection charge. Again this is not a modest increase.

It is not difficult to find much cheaper alternative suppliers. There doesn't seem to be anything special with being a Zen customer, So why remain with them?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Aug-20 19:47:04
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kebabselector:
Not used my Zen landline for outgoing calls for years - happy for people to call us, but I'm not paying for calls when we've all got mobiles with minutes included. Will ditch the phone line once I switch over to FTTP.
I ditched landline broadband and phone line 20 months ago. This afternoon I re-contracted my mobile service at £18pm for 12 months. Unlimited everything. Perhaps a 30GB cap on tethering, I haven't checked yet but it wouldn't worry me, and of course a charge on premium SMSs and premium calls.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 17-Aug-20 22:01:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I ditched landline broadband and phone line 20 months ago. This afternoon I re-contracted my mobile service at £18pm for 12 months. Unlimited everything. Perhaps a 30GB cap on tethering, I haven't checked yet but it wouldn't worry me, and of course a charge on premium SMSs and premium calls.

Are you only contactable on an 07 number or do you have a regular 01/02/03 number also available?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Aug-20 01:36:18
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Only 07.....

Or email of course.

The few people that matter who would find calling me a bit expensive just know to ring for three whats-its, and I call them back.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: 1+ 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
=========================
To argue with a mindless bigot is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 18-Aug-20 01:39:03)

Standard User Greenbeans1
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-20 15:27:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But what happened to this ?

Lifetime price guarantee
You'll keep the same monthly price on your monthly bundle when your 12, 18 or 24 month contract ends

If in contract does this mean you get to leave penalty FREE ?
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-20 16:41:52
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I am perfectly aware of that, but nearly is not the same and I have already stated I don't use their calls. My post is about what is the future anyway and Zen screwing those that have no choice in the meantime.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to