User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AFJF
(newbie) Sun 13-Sep-20 14:46:19
Print Post

FTTP Broadband Only

[link to this post]

I live in a 2 years old new build and have FTTP with BT. I don’t need a land line, so have opted for the Zen Full Fibre 100 broadband only plan. What I didn’t anticipate, as I have never switched FTTP before, is that BT have emailed me to tell me that they will be putting me onto a new landline only plan (no minimum term contract).

Does anyone know if it is okay for me to simply cancel the BT landline and keep Zen FTTP broadband. Or should I be forced to keep the landline, but migrate it to Zen, even though I don’t want or need it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Sep-20 16:03:41
Print Post

Re: FTTP Broadband Only

[re: AFJF] [link to this post]

If outside your minimum term with BT, then you should be able to simply tell them you do not want a landline.

If your property is FTTP only (no copper at all) would be interesting to find out how they plan do this, i.e. give you a landline service over the FTTP when Zen will have it in their use.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AFJF
(newbie) Sun 13-Sep-20 20:12:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is what BT have told me via email:

Another service provider has told us you want to move your broadband over to them on 28-Sep-2020. So we're taking this as notice that you want to stop broadband and any dependent services with us on that date.

If that's not right, or you've changed your mind, please get in touch with us as soon as you can. The sooner you call us the easier it is to change things. If we don't hear from you by 2pm on 24-Sep-2020, your services will automatically be moved on 28-Sep-2020.

We'll move you to a new calling plan
Because you're breaking up your bundle by moving your broadband, we'll put you on a new calling plan called Unlimited Weekend Calls . There's no charge for this plan, but you'll still need to pay monthly line rental. The plan won't come with a minimum term contract.

If you'd like to find out more, call us.

Charges for ending your contract
You won't have to pay any charges for ending your contract.

What to expect on your bill
We won't send you a final bill when you move your broadband because you're keeping some services with us.

We'll bill you as normal until you ask us to cancel them

If you'd like to cancel these services or find out more about them, please call us.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(member) Sun 13-Sep-20 20:38:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by AFJF:
This is what BT have told me via email:

[snip]

We'll bill you as normal until you ask us to cancel them

If you'd like to cancel these services or find out more about them, please call us.

So call them and tell them you want the phone service ceased?

BT Business FTTP 330/50 Mbps -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Sun 13-Sep-20 21:00:19
Print Post

If you have had the broadband and phone service with BT for a while the phone service is likely to be provisioned with FVA to the phone socket on the ONT. Although this method of providing a phone service can no longer be ordered for new connections, existing installations continue to work for now.

If you no longer require the phone service it can be cancelled BUT I would strongly recommend waiting until the broadband service has been migrated to Zen before doing so, as cancelling the phone service would also cease the BT broadband service.
Standard User AFJF
(newbie) Wed 30-Sep-20 09:46:14
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

Zen also recommended waiting until after the switch before cancelling, so I did. The broadband switch on Monday was very smooth, just a couple of minutes to update my Asus router with the new Zen log-in.

I was busy on Tuesday, so left it until today (Wednesday) to talk to BT to cancel the landline. Before I called BT I noticed that MyBT still showed my services as both broadband and phone. When I spoke to BT customer services, I was told their system did indeed still show BT as supplying both broadband and phone. Luckily I was speaking to a knowledgable rep who did some investigating. He said that my account seemed to be stuck in some sort of data loop, but he could see that Zen were supposed to be taking over the broadband. I insisted that the switch had taken place. At the end of the discussion, my broadband account was marked as closed on Monday and 5 days until the landline is ceased. Hopefully there will be no more issues. I’m glad that I didn’t try and close the landline account during the broadband switch
  Print Thread

Jump to