User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Senn
(newbie) Sat 03-Oct-20 14:04:00
Print Post

Increase in ping time since power cut

[link to this post]

On the 25th September (that windy day) I had a bunch of power cuts, one roughly 5 hours long presumably due to overhead cable damage. When it came back we had a few power issues but I believe those are sorted now.

The internet connection hasn't recovered fully though, I'm getting ~25ms ping times to anything beyond the router. Traceroute shows the first hop beyond me is Telehouse London and I have historically gotten around 5ms to that. I've tried different combinations of routers and modems (I tested the FRITZ!Box 7530 on its own plus my old trusty combo of an Openreach ECI modem plus ASUS router), different machines, including both WiFi and wired connections. All are the same so I can only assume it's something exchange/DSLAM end. The sync speed isn't quite what it should be either, not that it's ever been great with a 1km line.

I initially thought this would sort itself out but it's been over a week now and the single hop ping remains terrible.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Oct-20 07:32:47
Print Post

Re: Increase in ping time since power cut

[re: Senn] [link to this post]

Either ..... leave it alone, the initial power cuts were doubtless seen by DLM as an issue, hence the slowing to stabilise things. And all this swapping out of kit afterwards is seen as more evidence of the same. Just wait.

Or ... the same winds that damaged the power have damaged your overhead line (if you have any) Is there clear dial tone on your line ?

My money is on the first suggestion.

Standard User Senn
(newbie) Sun 04-Oct-20 11:55:32
Print Post

Re: Increase in ping time since power cut

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yeah I tested the dial tone on the day when the power finally came back - perfectly clear, no crackling or excess noise. I figured DLM would be affecting the speed and sync rate but does it also have such a detrimental effect on ping times? A roughly 500% increase in latency to the next hop seems a lot.

Thankfully the line is stable so I'll wait it out for now I suppose.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to