User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 13:09:47
Print Post

Re: Does anyone consistently get 900Mbps ?

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

The 64,000 Dollar Question still is:

"are there any residential customer of Zen / BT / and/or another company, who consistently has a snappy, connection with a steady 900 Mbps ?"

Today the browsing does seem to be a little better (which I accept is an a subjective criterion and it is not an objective criterion) but for me that is usually the most vital part of my internet use and I only tend to hit the speed test sites when the browsing is [censored] and when web pages take ages to load and since FTTP the browsing has mostly been slower than it was with FTTC.

I know that speed tests with vary between test sites, (especially with a connection that is varying wildly at times), and that is why I have been mainly trying to use the main speed test that Zen Technical Support told me about which is: https://zen-internet.speedtestcustom.com/

FWIW; I do know how to carry out fair and objective systematic speed tests and that is why I have been using the speed test specified by Zen Technical Support and the speed findings reported in my previous posts in this thread were from that site.

Regarding large files: I have downloaded a few and these file downloads also show the same wildly varying results and I am only willing to use the Thinkbroadband files for this sort of file download test since i would not download from an unknown site.

Here is a link to a recent Thinkbroadband speed test that shows 527 Mbps DOWN and 31 Mbps UP with a latency of 35;

My Broadband Speed Test

I know what speeds I am getting and I have posted about them but it would be helpful to know what other residential 900 Mbps users are getting for comparison purposes and to help us all see what is available and from where.

I presently still have faith that Zen will eventually come good with regard to a snappy connection and high steady speeds but I need to know that there are Zen residential customers who do get a steady 900 Mbps.

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP

Edited by Fido (Thu 08-Oct-20 17:02:50)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 18:58:51
Print Post

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

Results from my TalkTalk Fibre 900 line, speedtests taken just now:

My Broadband Speed Test

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10217950991

Am I getting a constant 900 Mbps day and night? No.

Am i worried? Absolutely not.

How do I claim my $64,000? Cash will do just fine 🤩

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Thu 08-Oct-20 19:21:28)

Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 20:32:48
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Hello Highland76,

Unfortunately, since yours is a business line, our taking your speed test results into account would not be a like for like comparison to my residential line and/or the residential lines of other residential 900 Mbps customers.

Just before FTTP was fitted: when I was on FTTC, with Zen; I did have a rock steady line speed, day and night, but more important than that the browsing was always fast and snappy and web pages loaded quickly. - After FTTP was fitted the speeds became erratic by a huge factor and on a line advertized as having an average speed of 900 Mbps I would expect a minimum of at least 500 Mbps (day and night) and at least an average speed of 700 Mbps overall and I do not believe that is at all unreasonable.

Zen FTTP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 20:47:38
Print Post

Nope, i'm on the residential grade Openreach FTTP 1000/115 service despite being with TalkTalk Business (direct). Technically, services on both TalkTalk residential and TalkTalk Business (whether ADSL2+, FTTC or FTTP) perform exactly the same. The main differences between the 2 are: vastly better support on TTB, static IPs, dedicated account manager just to name a few. Trust me, I've been with both TTR and TTB in recent years and never noticed any speed differences between the 2 on the same Openreach products smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Thu 08-Oct-20 20:51:19)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 20:59:05
Print Post

1) I would ask Zen what your minimum guaranteed speeds are. Average speeds and minimum speeds are not quite the same thing.

2) Use something like Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1) on your router or clients to see if this improves the web page sluggishness. Even on a FTTC 80/20 connection (never mind FTTP 1000/115), web pages should be loading buttery smooth. So rather bizarre why you're seeing this on a 10x faster connection.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Thu 08-Oct-20 21:33:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fido:
The 64,000 Dollar Question still is:

"are there any residential customer of Zen / BT / and/or another company, who consistently has a snappy, connection with a steady 900 Mbps ?"

Regards,
Fido

Ok, I'll butt out then

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 22:08:47
Print Post

I must confess that I was not comfortable with the final engineer who came, (some wired the duct, some brought the wire to the house wall and connected the node in the duct and the final one arrived ), to fit it at the house end, he fitted FTTP to the outside wall and inside the house as he did not come across as the best one available and he did not even test it at the ONT for quality before he left because he said that it would take time for a Zen line to fire up and he simply looked at which LED lights on the ONT were lit.

It could be that the guy who fitted FTTP at my address was a duffer. - I certainly would have expected him to check on the ONT that I was getting full speed before he left but he not do so even though I asked him to,

I have been with Zen as an ISP for a while now and I consider them to be the best ISP. - At present, I still have confidence in Zen. - I did complain to them, about the poor speeds, within an hour of it being fitted and they then asked me to carry out speed tests using the speed test site that they gave to me and to advise them of the results.in a few days time: hence my desire to know what others were getting.

After this test period and results collection; presumably they will arrange for BT Wholesale to sort it out properly and then presumably there will be another engineers visit but at present I am feeling a bit fobbed off and I wanted to know exactly what to expect.

Zen have always been near the top of the pile regarding performance but they simply advertize an average speed of 900 Mbps and from my experience with Zen they usually keep quite close to the speeds they say you should get and they said I should get 900 Mbps.

Prior to ordering FTTP from Zen; I had considered BT because they are cheaper and I knew that BT do have a minimum guaranteed speed of 450 Mbps but TalkTalk, (who you are happy with), is not apparently available at my address. (Perhaps, the TalkTalk address checking processes are delayed).

Does anyone on Zen 900 Mbps received the advertized speed?

Is BT FTTP 900 Mbps reliable?

Zen FTTP
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 08:28:10
Print Post

The last post in this thread might help:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/f/4641264-900-...

That thread title is misleading though as Zen do NOT offer 1000/220 Mbps over FTTP (its 1000/115). I suspect the OP got a bit too excited, not aware that the 220 Upload tier is very expensive at wholesale level and just a handful of CPs sell it, costing £100s per month.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Oct-20 08:48:22
Print Post

I've been using IDnets 160/30 for the past couple of months and honestly not over the moon at the performance.

I struggle to get above 130mbps at most times and I would say during peak I'm down at between 20-70mbps.

Upload is fine, I've changed routers, I've tried through PC directly.

I've just become accepting that internet is c.... in general....

However currently I've been unable to keep up with bills and IDnet has pulled one of the short straws and I'm expecting it to disconnect any day now.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Oct-20 11:41:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Nope, i'm on the residential grade Openreach FTTP 1000/115 service despite being with TalkTalk Business (direct). Technically, services on both TalkTalk residential and TalkTalk Business (whether ADSL2+, FTTC or FTTP) perform exactly the same. The main differences between the 2 are: vastly better support on TTB, static IPs, dedicated account manager just to name a few. Trust me, I've been with both TTR and TTB in recent years and never noticed any speed differences between the 2 on the same Openreach products smile

There is no "residential" OpenReach tiers.

Whether you get 1000/115 or 1000/220 or even 40/2 it's only a business product if your ISP makes it so.

Yours is a business line as you buy it from Talktalk business. Simples as that.

The fact you don't get full speeds on your Talktalk business line and most of the BT residential customers on the same tier do is a little concerning.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to