User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fido
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-20 17:59:49
Print Post

Does anyone consistently get 900Mbps ?

[link to this post]

We were with Zen on FTTC and now we have just upgraded to the full 900 Mbps. package and we stayed with Zen for virtually zero contention / lots of spare capacity and a flat line speed graph.

However, up to now the speeds are very poor; they vary wildly with download speeds between 381 Mbps and 123 Mbps and upload speeds between 110 Mbps and 9 Mbps on a connection that is supposed to get 900 Mbps.

We have not seen any speeds over 381 Mbps.

The big question is "Does Anyone with Zen get a rock solid 900 Mbps connection" ?

Right now I am taking speed test readings over a period of days as it is considered that may be a contention issue but to say the least I am somewhat sceptical

Zen FTTP

Edited by Fido (Wed 07-Oct-20 18:31:57)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Oct-20 21:19:07
Print Post

Re: Does anyone consistently get 900Mbps ?

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

How, and with what, are you running these tests ?

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-20 21:38:05
Print Post

I assume you've already tested with a PC directly connected to the ONT to rule out router issues? If not, that should be your first port of call.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fido
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-20 22:28:58
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
I assume you've already tested with a PC directly connected to the ONT to rule out router issues? If not, that should be your first port of call.

Hi Highland76,

Yes; I did try plugging my PC directly into the ONT and it made absolutely no difference as the speeds were still low and they were still all over the place. - (My laptop is up to date everything and I use CAT6A cables).

After my first post on this, I did record a new high speed of 871 Mbps, (just before 8:00PM this evening), so my line and equipment does seem capable of getting near to 900 Mbps. - However, an hour later, the next speed test was only 88 Mbps so the speed of 871 Mbps seems to have been a fluke.

It does seem to be contention but I chose Zen because Zen has overcapacity and my FTTC Zen line never has a whiff of contention so I don't know where the problem is but it's not good.

The Zen Website refers to an average speed of 900 Mbps: which indicates that it could sometimes exceed 900 Mbps and sometime be a bit below 900 Mbps but this is [censored] especially since the browsing is slow.

The ping on the speed tests is usually recorded as being 12 and the jitter is usually recorded as 1.

The 64,000 Dollar Question is: does anyone with residential Zen FTTP consistently get speeds around 900 Mbps and a fast snappy connection ?

Do residential customers from other FTTP providers consistently get speeds around 900 Mbps and a fast snappy connection ?

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 08:04:48
Print Post

Thanks. Sorry can’t help you with your main question as I’m not with Zen but with TalkTalk Business on their equivalent service (Fibre 900). But a couple of important things to bear in mind:

1) Very few speed testers will show the full speeds (~900 Mbps) on the 1 Gig service irrespective of ISP. I find the Xilo test server on Speedtest.net tends to be quite reliable.

2) BT and TalkTalk have a minimum speed guarantee of 450 Mbps on their Fibre 900 products. I’d imagine Zen would have a similar speed guarantee, no way on earth would they guarantee 900 Mbps 24/7 as it’s a shared service.

If you’re not seeing 500+ Mbps even at quiet times (eg 3am) then it won’t be down to contention. Probably an issue on Zen’s or BTW/Openreach’s side, assuming your kit is fine.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Thu 08-Oct-20 08:16:40
Print Post

Try the Thinkbroadband speed test and post the results, also find a large real file from somewhere to download and see what speeds you get.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-20 08:21:46
Print Post

Re: Does anyone consistently get 900Mbps ? *DELETED*

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

Post deleted by adslmax
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-20 08:23:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by fredfox:
find a large real file from somewhere to download and see what speeds you get.

This one! biggest large real file to test true throughput speed 10Gb http://proof.ovh.net/files/10Gio.dat

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 12:44:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fido:
However, up to now the speeds are very poor; they vary wildly with download speeds between 381 Mbps and 123 Mbps and upload speeds between 110 Mbps and 9 Mbps on a connection that is supposed to get 900 Mbps.

We have not seen any speeds over 381 Mbps.

The big question is "Does Anyone with Zen get a rock solid 900 Mbps connection" ?

Right now I am taking speed test readings over a period of days as it is considered that may be a contention issue but to say the least I am somewhat sceptical

The best bet is to pick a random Linux ISO and download from a mirror in the UK and download using wget or curl on the command line with a wired connection between the test machine and the ONT.

However the ability to max out a high speed connection is very difficult and almost never achieved in the real world in my 16 years of experience enjoying 1Gbps and faster internet connections at work (Universities have enjoyed high speed connectivity for a long time).

Right now this is being typed on a machine with a 10Gbps connection, (remote desktop on the the console server for the HPC facility at work, the University has significantly more than that available in total, that's just my link to the core), I am lucky to ever get near 1Gbps when downloading stuff. However in carefully controlled tests I can get 5-6Gbps to other nearby Universities. I can get a bit more within the University. The link is good for lots of speed, but no speed test I have ever done gets anywhere near showing my true speed.

On the other hand I could pick three or four different mirrors, set off downloads of Linux ISO's and see each one achieve ~500Mps.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 13:03:08
Print Post

Deleted due to duplication

Zen FTTP

Edited by Fido (Thu 08-Oct-20 13:36:13)

Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 13:09:47
Print Post

The 64,000 Dollar Question still is:

"are there any residential customer of Zen / BT / and/or another company, who consistently has a snappy, connection with a steady 900 Mbps ?"

Today the browsing does seem to be a little better (which I accept is an a subjective criterion and it is not an objective criterion) but for me that is usually the most vital part of my internet use and I only tend to hit the speed test sites when the browsing is [censored] and when web pages take ages to load and since FTTP the browsing has mostly been slower than it was with FTTC.

I know that speed tests with vary between test sites, (especially with a connection that is varying wildly at times), and that is why I have been mainly trying to use the main speed test that Zen Technical Support told me about which is: https://zen-internet.speedtestcustom.com/

FWIW; I do know how to carry out fair and objective systematic speed tests and that is why I have been using the speed test specified by Zen Technical Support and the speed findings reported in my previous posts in this thread were from that site.

Regarding large files: I have downloaded a few and these file downloads also show the same wildly varying results and I am only willing to use the Thinkbroadband files for this sort of file download test since i would not download from an unknown site.

Here is a link to a recent Thinkbroadband speed test that shows 527 Mbps DOWN and 31 Mbps UP with a latency of 35;

My Broadband Speed Test

I know what speeds I am getting and I have posted about them but it would be helpful to know what other residential 900 Mbps users are getting for comparison purposes and to help us all see what is available and from where.

I presently still have faith that Zen will eventually come good with regard to a snappy connection and high steady speeds but I need to know that there are Zen residential customers who do get a steady 900 Mbps.

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP

Edited by Fido (Thu 08-Oct-20 17:02:50)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 18:58:51
Print Post

Results from my TalkTalk Fibre 900 line, speedtests taken just now:

My Broadband Speed Test

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10217950991

Am I getting a constant 900 Mbps day and night? No.

Am i worried? Absolutely not.

How do I claim my $64,000? Cash will do just fine 🤩

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Thu 08-Oct-20 19:21:28)

Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 20:32:48
Print Post

Hello Highland76,

Unfortunately, since yours is a business line, our taking your speed test results into account would not be a like for like comparison to my residential line and/or the residential lines of other residential 900 Mbps customers.

Just before FTTP was fitted: when I was on FTTC, with Zen; I did have a rock steady line speed, day and night, but more important than that the browsing was always fast and snappy and web pages loaded quickly. - After FTTP was fitted the speeds became erratic by a huge factor and on a line advertized as having an average speed of 900 Mbps I would expect a minimum of at least 500 Mbps (day and night) and at least an average speed of 700 Mbps overall and I do not believe that is at all unreasonable.

Zen FTTP
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 20:47:38
Print Post

Nope, i'm on the residential grade Openreach FTTP 1000/115 service despite being with TalkTalk Business (direct). Technically, services on both TalkTalk residential and TalkTalk Business (whether ADSL2+, FTTC or FTTP) perform exactly the same. The main differences between the 2 are: vastly better support on TTB, static IPs, dedicated account manager just to name a few. Trust me, I've been with both TTR and TTB in recent years and never noticed any speed differences between the 2 on the same Openreach products smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Thu 08-Oct-20 20:51:19)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 20:59:05
Print Post

1) I would ask Zen what your minimum guaranteed speeds are. Average speeds and minimum speeds are not quite the same thing.

2) Use something like Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1) on your router or clients to see if this improves the web page sluggishness. Even on a FTTC 80/20 connection (never mind FTTP 1000/115), web pages should be loading buttery smooth. So rather bizarre why you're seeing this on a 10x faster connection.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Thu 08-Oct-20 21:33:22
Print Post

The 64,000 Dollar Question still is:

"are there any residential customer of Zen / BT / and/or another company, who consistently has a snappy, connection with a steady 900 Mbps ?"

Regards,
Fido

Ok, I'll butt out then

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-20 22:08:47
Print Post

I must confess that I was not comfortable with the final engineer who came, (some wired the duct, some brought the wire to the house wall and connected the node in the duct and the final one arrived ), to fit it at the house end, he fitted FTTP to the outside wall and inside the house as he did not come across as the best one available and he did not even test it at the ONT for quality before he left because he said that it would take time for a Zen line to fire up and he simply looked at which LED lights on the ONT were lit.

It could be that the guy who fitted FTTP at my address was a duffer. - I certainly would have expected him to check on the ONT that I was getting full speed before he left but he not do so even though I asked him to,

I have been with Zen as an ISP for a while now and I consider them to be the best ISP. - At present, I still have confidence in Zen. - I did complain to them, about the poor speeds, within an hour of it being fitted and they then asked me to carry out speed tests using the speed test site that they gave to me and to advise them of the results.in a few days time: hence my desire to know what others were getting.

After this test period and results collection; presumably they will arrange for BT Wholesale to sort it out properly and then presumably there will be another engineers visit but at present I am feeling a bit fobbed off and I wanted to know exactly what to expect.

Zen have always been near the top of the pile regarding performance but they simply advertize an average speed of 900 Mbps and from my experience with Zen they usually keep quite close to the speeds they say you should get and they said I should get 900 Mbps.

Prior to ordering FTTP from Zen; I had considered BT because they are cheaper and I knew that BT do have a minimum guaranteed speed of 450 Mbps but TalkTalk, (who you are happy with), is not apparently available at my address. (Perhaps, the TalkTalk address checking processes are delayed).

Does anyone on Zen 900 Mbps received the advertized speed?

Is BT FTTP 900 Mbps reliable?

Zen FTTP
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 08:28:10
Print Post

The last post in this thread might help:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/f/4641264-900-...

That thread title is misleading though as Zen do NOT offer 1000/220 Mbps over FTTP (its 1000/115). I suspect the OP got a bit too excited, not aware that the 220 Upload tier is very expensive at wholesale level and just a handful of CPs sell it, costing £100s per month.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Oct-20 08:48:22
Print Post

I've been using IDnets 160/30 for the past couple of months and honestly not over the moon at the performance.

I struggle to get above 130mbps at most times and I would say during peak I'm down at between 20-70mbps.

Upload is fine, I've changed routers, I've tried through PC directly.

I've just become accepting that internet is c.... in general....

However currently I've been unable to keep up with bills and IDnet has pulled one of the short straws and I'm expecting it to disconnect any day now.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Oct-20 11:41:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Nope, i'm on the residential grade Openreach FTTP 1000/115 service despite being with TalkTalk Business (direct). Technically, services on both TalkTalk residential and TalkTalk Business (whether ADSL2+, FTTC or FTTP) perform exactly the same. The main differences between the 2 are: vastly better support on TTB, static IPs, dedicated account manager just to name a few. Trust me, I've been with both TTR and TTB in recent years and never noticed any speed differences between the 2 on the same Openreach products smile

There is no "residential" OpenReach tiers.

Whether you get 1000/115 or 1000/220 or even 40/2 it's only a business product if your ISP makes it so.

Yours is a business line as you buy it from Talktalk business. Simples as that.

The fact you don't get full speeds on your Talktalk business line and most of the BT residential customers on the same tier do is a little concerning.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 12:04:53
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Sorry by “residential grade” I meant that my TTB service has the same minimum speed guarantee (450 Mbps ) as the cheaper residential targeted FTTP services from the likes of BT Retail. So purely from a technical point (raw speed), it’s exactly the same. Sure, I have some business specific features such as better SLA, multiple static IPs, 7 day support etc but none of these has an effect on the actual speed. I do occasionally get 900 Mbps but mostly it’s between 800-900 Mbps which I can live with.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Fido
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 13:05:57
Print Post

The final post in that older thread, (dated 27th August 2020), indicated that Zen knew of an issue and it would take a week or two.

In reply to a post by tboorman:
I suspect that Openreach will not find a fault at your end. Zen are aware that a number of customers on the Full Fibre 500 and 900 products are experiencing poor download speeds. The update I had from them this afternoon is:

We're continuing to try and resolve throughput issues for our customers reporting issues on the FTTP 500 and FTTP 900 products.

We are trialling with a small sample of customers adding an elevated traffic status with BT Wholesale to see if that allows higher speeds to be met & also more consistently higher.

We do need a reasonable amount of time to try and fix this and can take a week or 2 to resolve this issue and will keep you updated accordingly.

That post was from last August, therefore, by now the specified week or two weeks to find a solution has certainly come and it has gone. - Perhaps, these issues are ongoing or they are getting worse and if these old issues are part of the problem then by now a proper solution should have been decided upon.

Conversely; I have not seen any posts from Zen 900 Mbps FTTP residential customers who post that they are happily getting consistently get close to the advertized speeds.

Zen FTTP

Edited by Fido (Fri 09-Oct-20 20:52:14)

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 14:45:36
Print Post

Yes.

Both my BT and Zen services consistently deliver either close to or above 900. This doesn't really help you of course as we're extremely unlikely to be on the same equipment.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Oct-20 21:19:06
Print Post

If the ONT is showing link then it is happy and running at 2.4 Gbps down, there is no poor connection lower speeds, its either all or nothing.

Best Zen 900/110 test in Oct so far http://tbb.st/1601716480583465055
Best BT one http://tbb.st/1601911216363605755

Fastest test so far in Oct http://tbb.st/1602155020237971755 1700 Mbps down 185 up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 22:58:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Fastest test so far in Oct http://tbb.st/1602155020237971755 1700 Mbps down 185 up

I could totally beat that if I could get a compliant browser.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Fri 09-Oct-20 23:00:14
Print Post

Thank you Mr Saffron; it is good to know that good speeds are available so there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

In my case it is nowhere near as bad tonight as per this speed test;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16022770475...

However, but it is still up and down.

Regarding your speed tests and mine, I have noticed that my latency on the above speed test is reported as being 60ms and usually my latency on Thinkbroadband Speed Tests since my getting FTTP is reported as being around 35ms but the reported latency on your speed tests much lower and is only 21ms.

It is hard to see a reason for this difference in reported latency since with a fibre line, with properly made fibre joints and good equipment why would the reported latency be so much different ?

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the ONT is showing link then it is happy and running at 2.4 Gbps down, there is no poor connection lower speeds, its either all or nothing.

From that, all or nothing approach, it appears that as long as the ONT syncs up all is considered to be good but what about spliced joints that are not properly made and that suffer from Optical Splatter or Reflection: Would the ONT not still sync up if there were defective Fibre Joints?

What we know is that the engineer who fitted our FTTP made a spliced joint outside the house and since he did not appear to have a Fusion Splicer or a Mechanical Splicer with him he is likely to have used a field splice which is considered to be inferior. - Could not poor spliced joints be the reason why some of us get consistently good speeds and other don't ?

Also, we have one of the new small Nokia type ONT devices with one RJ45 Port and most of us who have had FTTP fitted in the last few months will probably have one of these Nokia ONT but are they as good as the older Hauwei ONT that others will have. - I have no idea but I do know that these erratic speed problems are either due to line issues, equipment issues or contention.

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 10-Oct-20 03:08:05
Print Post

Don’t pay too much attention to latency shown in speed tests as it can be rather erratic. Either use the ping command in Windoze (or equivalent in other OS) and/or run the TBB BQM to get a better idea. I get anywhere from 20 to 60 ms shown on speed tests yet this is what my BQM looks like:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

My other BT Business 330/50 line has a better latency by 1-2 ms but it’s nothing to get my knickers in a twist over smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Oct-20 10:09:51
Print Post

If the light levels are too low then it simply refuses to link up

Getting full speeds from a Nokia ONT here. Whether they fusion or mechanical spliced no idea, as kept out of the way during install due to social distancing.

The shape suggests a throughput issue somewhere and not a light issue with the local fibre.

On latency, FTTP does not massively lower it unless your old FTTC service had masses of interleaving on it.

To see if its contention issues, you need to stay up very late, or get up early. Given people appear to be staying up later this year based on speed testing patterns I'd suggest an early rise of 6am for testing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Oct-20 15:22:10
Print Post

I had a similar issue when I upgraded to Zen's Full Fibre 900 package. After several visits by Openreach engineers which found no fault, Zen admitted that they had other customers who were also experiencing poor download speeds on their faster FTTP packages. They enabled an elevated traffic status feature on my circuit, and this resolved the issue.

I would also recommend that you use the Fast.com or Measurement Lab speed tests for testing your download speeds, using a bootable USB Linux distro with a PPPoE connection on a laptop connected directly to your ONT.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 10-Oct-20 15:59:30
Print Post

When it was first fitted the Thinkbroadband Speed Tests reported very low speeds, the browsing was dire and web pages failed to load so I contacted Zen Technical Support and the Technical Support person said not to use the Thinkbroadband site for speeds test because of the high speeds involved and to use this speed test site; https://zen-internet.speedtestcustom.com/

The first recorded test on that site at about 4:00PM in the afternoon gave a ping of 19, a jitter of 54, a download speed of 145 Mbps and an upload speed of 95 Mbps - oops

The next recorded test on that site at about 20 minutes later gave a ping of 19, a jitter of 1, a download speed of 123 Mbps and an upload speed of 9 Mbps.

The next test about 42 minutes after the first gave a ping of 12, a jitter of 1, a download speed of 326 Mbps and an upload speed of 110 Mbps.

Since then the reported ping on that test site has been between 11 and 13 and the reported jitter has been between 0 and 2, the download speeds have been between 904 Mbps and 88 Mbps, and the upload speeds have been between 50 Mbps and 111 Mbps. - (On average the Upload speeds tend to be over 100 Mbps irrespective of the major variations in the download speeds).

The speeds vary at unspecified times of the day and I am just as likely to get over 800 Mbps at 9:00PM at night as I am to get 312 Mbps at 4:00AM in the morning.

Regarding my copper line quality: up to three months ago, my copper line was about 725 meters long, (as was reported by my router), my router never lost sync, my sync speed was up to 53 Mbps with a SNR, set by the DELSLAM/DLM of 3db. and a flat line Thinkbroadband Speed Test Graph of around 47 Mbps with zero unrecoverable CRC errors on the router or at the exchange reported. - Three months ago, we had one of those Openreach Engineer changes at just after 2:00AM in the morning, (probably to fix someone else's fault), when the line went off and came back much worse with a reported length of 740 meters, no router errors, about 200 exchange errors per day and about 12 unrecoverable CRC errors per week. - The speeds went down the toilet but after a profile reset about a month ago the sync speed had gone back up to 47 Mbps, the flat line graph speed tests were back to around 44 Mbps and the SNR had dropped back down from 8db. to 5db., there were still zero Router Errors reported, there were still around 200 Exchange Errors reported per day and there was still about 12 unrecoverable CRC errors per week. - (We use the higher rated Fritzbox 7590 which kept a good weekly record of the DSL line).

Back to FTTP: I have no idea if interleaving has been applied to the new FTTP line. - However, since there are supposed to be zero loses on a fibre line with properly made fibre joints I cannot see why it should be unless there was an equipment problem.

It is either a line problem. an equipment problem or a contention problem.

The theory is that the line either works or it does not but it would be nice to test the quality of the optics to rule out any possibility of fibre line issues cause by dirty equipment etc..

Since it does vary irrespective of the time of day and night and I do not consistently get a full speed at 4:00AM in the morning contention is a far less likely culprit, (coupled with the fact that I am with Zen who usually have very low contention), but contention cannot be ruled out at this stage.

If contention is the problem then I am glad that I am with Zen and not someone else as I am confident that Zen will sort out any contention issues. - I hope that my faith in them is not misplaced but on the whole Zen have been an excellent ISP.

I do not know if it is an equipment problem or not; perhaps, there is an issue with my ONT or with the equipment at the local exchange.

Zen FTTP
Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 10-Oct-20 16:22:21
Print Post

[re: tboorman] [link to this post]

tboorman,

Thank you for that; it is very helpful to know and it confirms my suspicion that Zen will eventually sort it out.

My browsing/web page loading has generally got a lot better, (which is the first thing that I notice before i hit the speed tests) and my speeds may have improved somewhat but its not reliable and highly variable.

Are you now seeing consistently good speeds?

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Oct-20 17:10:49
Print Post

The OpenReach engineer took a light reading from your fibre during install. Any poor splices would have shown up. They can't go ahead if the light levels aren't in spec.

Your ONT is connected at 2.4Gb/s down and 1.2Gb/s up. It's never the issue.
Your ONT is connected at 1Gb/s to the router. If there was an issue there it would default to 100Mb and none of your speed tests would be above 100Mb.

Your issue is entirely contention. It can't be an issue with the local fibre or light loss or anything similar. The ONT wouldn't connect or would be extremely intermittent.

Ask Zen if they have given your line the elevated traffic status fix they were giving other users on the 900Mb package.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 10-Oct-20 17:11:40)

Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 10-Oct-20 20:03:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
The OpenReach engineer took a light reading from your fibre during install. Any poor splices would have shown up. They can't go ahead if the light levels aren't in spec.

He did not take a light reading from inside the house next to the ONT.

I asked him to push the fibre wire the very short distance through the hole in the house wall to the ONT location and then for some reason he cut off about 15 feet from the new fibre wire that was coiled up outside , on the path, next to the house on his arrival and instead of just pushing some of that fibre wire just another 11 inches through the house wall to the ONT location, (as I had asked him to), he used a different short length of wire through the house wall and he put some form of spliced joint, (probably a field splice), in a big junction box that he fitted on the house wall. about 60cm. above the path. - If had then checked the light readings from inside the house at the optical plug I would have said OK but he did not do that and since he did not take a light reading from inside the house I cannot see how he took a like reading that covered the whole line including the sliced joint that he made and it is his spliced joint that I am less comfortable with because he did not fill me with confidence. - (If he was doing watch repairs he would probably use a big adjustable spanner and a lump hammer). - I knew from my old copper line that some Openreach engineers are very good, they always do a an excellent very neat job using the proper wiring and making good joints and some are much less able.

Your issue is entirely contention. It can't be an issue with the local fibre or light loss or anything similar. The ONT wouldn't connect or would be extremely intermittent.

After reading the latest post from tboorman, (who apparently had similar issues), I am persuaded that contention could be a major part of the problem but since at 4:00AM it is was still not good and I would like someone to test the line from inside of the house to rule that out as if it is not checked now it will never get checked

Zen FTTP
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Oct-20 20:27:00
Print Post

He installed it as he should, not how you wanted.

New deployment method isn't 1 continuous length of fibre but there is supposed to be a splice on the wall outside.

There's nothing wrong with your light levels, or your splice outside, or any other part of your fibre circuit.

That would NOT SLOW YOUR THROUGHPUT. Not by 1Mb or 100Mb.
It would cut the service off, or work perfectly.
There is no in-between.
It could be intermittent, but it would be on or off.

It's contention, or poor configuration on Zens or BT Wholesale part.
Forget about the fibre outside your house, it's fine.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 10-Oct-20 20:43:04
Print Post

jOhn83,

You have made the case very ably and well: I accept your view that it must be contention and I thank you for making it so clearly and so well.

I will contact Zen again on Monday and I will persuade them to sort it out for me.

Thank you for your assistance,

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Oct-20 21:24:24
Print Post

I have not been constantly checking, but on the occasions that I have, my download speed has been 800 Mbps+.

I would also not use the speed test site that Zen have given you - they initially told me to use that too, but subsequently told me to use the ones that I gave in my earlier post (the one that they have given you is actually just a custom version of Speedtest.net).
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 10-Oct-20 22:19:35
Print Post

He installed it as he should, not how you wanted.

New deployment method isn't 1 continuous length of fibre but there is supposed to be a splice on the wall outside.

There's nothing wrong with your light levels, or your splice outside, or any other part of your fibre circuit.

That would NOT SLOW YOUR THROUGHPUT. Not by 1Mb or 100Mb.
It would cut the service off, or work perfectly.
There is no in-between.
It could be intermittent, but it would be on or off.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is not correct. In extremely rare circumstances fibre optical links can stay up but pass traffic at significantly below the advertised link speed due to TX/RX errors. Basically you have to be right on the knife edge for to manifest in this manner. In normal circumstances on a modern switched link TX/RX errors should be zero or very close to zero.

In my career I have only ever seen this once on fibre optic cable. I have also seen it happen a couple of times on copper ethernet too.

However I must stress it is extremely unlikely to be the case here and I would expect the monitoring platform that Openreach use to be flagging these errors any way, and them being investigated and fixed proactively.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Oct-20 22:51:36
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Fibre optics links can.
GPON won't though.

It's a 2.4Gb/s link or nothing.

Tx/rx errors anywhere near high enough to cause the slowest of slow downs will break the link.
The OLT will break the link if the ONT doesn't.
A GPON link behaving as you suggest can screw the whole PON.

Even in a point to point link in your own words "extremely rare circumstances".

The day that a poor splice causes a 50% drop in throughput on GPON is a cold day in hell.

The OP was fixated on the local fibre loop because he/she thinks the engineer was incompetent. The only reason given for this is the engineer cutting a fibre cable and splicing it (like he's meant to).
Sometimes it's just easier to tell people fixated on the highly improbable, that's it's just impossible.

The chances of ever seeing massively reduced throughput on OpenReach's GPON lies somewhere between zero and none.
Standard User Fido
(experienced) Sat 10-Oct-20 23:54:55
Print Post

A GPON link behaving as you suggest can screw the whole PON.

At the present time; ours is the only house in our group of houses that has FTTP.

That said; yesterday, (Friday), two Openreach Engineers were doing things in the underground chamber at the edge of our front garden and in the underground chamber of the house opposite, (the house opposite has an underground chamber and next door also has an underground chamber) - Today, (Saturday), another Openreach Engineer was messing around in the underground chamber at the edge of our front garden but he did not go elsewhere. - Yesterday, we left them to it in case they were doing work for a neighbour with just a copper line and today, just after we noticed him, he put the cover back on and he left before we could speak with him. - Why would he be out checking on Saturday if he was not looking for some form of fault ?

Maybe it is a pure coincidence or just maybe something is messing up the PON and they are faffing searching around for the cause.

Why would most Openreach Engineers carry out a light test during an installation if it was irrelevant as they could all do what the engineer who fitted our FTTP did and they could just look for an LED light on the ONT, before considering that everything is OK and then leaving without a light test.

Zen FTTP
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Oct-20 01:19:52
Print Post

The entire build is audited before it goes live for orders.
Light levels measured up to the CBT.
An engineer plugged your fibre in to the CBT, no splicing at that point.

The engineer then spliced your cable on the external of your property.
It's not a cheap splicer he used either.

There's probably a copper DP, a CBT and a splitter in that chamber.
My nearest chamber has 2 splitters, a CBT and a copper DP.
There's an engineer in it every 2nd day.
My developments been live in FTTP for a couple months but MJ Quinn were back this week (they installed it on behalf of OpenReach months ago) in all the chambers.
Doesn't mean something's wrong though.

Engineers take light levels at installations because it's good practice.
If the light readings are too low it can cause your ONT to completely or intermittently lose sync with the OLT.
They aren't irrelevant to installs altogether, just irrelevant to low speeds.
What work could they possibly be doing to your FTTP that wouldn't cause you to lose connection on the ONT?
Was he just looking at the fibre to see if it looked right?

The ONT connects to the OLT at over 2.4Gb/s. It isn't variable, it can't connect at a lower speed.
It drops the connection to the OLT or stays connected.

That 2.4Gb/s is shared by all properties on the splitter (upto 32).
Every ONT on the splitter is connected at the same rate, and you all have the exact same data running over each others fibre.
It could theoretically be contention in the local PON.
It can't be a bad splice though.

There's probably a dozen Zen users who've posted issues with their 500 and 900Mb packages.
Why are you so obsessed over the 1 part of the network I've NEVER known to cause speed issues.

Call Zen.
They should send an OpenReach engineer first (it's standard).
He/she will check everything's ok.
Then they will send it up the chain to BT Wholesale.

Your Speedtest alone screams contention.
The graph from the TBB test you posted above is extremely typical of contention.

The very knowledgeable MrSaffron (staff here, he recently received an OBE for his work in broadband) already gave you that exact same answer but you are absolutely fixated on something else.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/t/4661128-does...

If the light levels are too low then it simply refuses to link up

Getting full speeds from a Nokia ONT here. Whether they fusion or mechanical spliced no idea, as kept out of the way during install due to social distancing.

The shape suggests a throughput issue somewhere and not a light issue with the local fibre.

He sees hundreds of these graphs a week.

I wish you the best with your low throughput issues. I won't be posting any further in this thread it's getting very repetitive.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 11-Oct-20 01:29:28)

Standard User Fido
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-20 05:02:38
Print Post

In an earlier post I did fully accepted that contention is the most likely cause but I am still open minded to other possible issues just as I was when as a test and design engineer and a trouble-shooter for complex control systems I never closed my mind to all possible causes of a defect and sometime to what others had considered were impossible causes. - (With intermittent faults I mostly never saw the actual fault arise but after I left the recurrent fault had all gone).

It is now past 4:30AM in the early morning and I have just carried out a speed test that does not support the theory that it is all down to connection and nothing else.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16023866981...

At this time in the early morning contention should not be an issue since most sensible people, (who do not have a fault), are in bed but the speeds are worse now than they were last evening. The speeds of 438Mbps down and 32 Mbps Up are nowhere near as bad as they have been previously but are still below the BT Minimum Threshold and are lower than they were mid-day yesterday.

Thank you again and sincere thanks to all contributors for your assistance.

Regards,
Fido.

Zen FTTP
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-20 11:11:41
Print Post

You are all confusing contention with congestion. https://support.aa.net.uk/Congestion_and_Contention

Are you sure your computer and router can actually transfer data at 900Meg?
Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-20 15:09:13
Print Post

This may not work for you but i was also getting similiar speeds of around 300-400mb on the 900 package, so changed my ethernet from the ONT to router for cat7 instead of cat5e and now getting max of 930Mb/115

Although they both support 1gig the cat5e was probably down to being defect? who knows.

They are mostly consistent i would say about 80% of the time with the lowest being around 680

Edited by jamie1985 (Sun 11-Oct-20 15:12:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-20 16:04:39
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

That the graphs never flatten out suggests maybe the RWIN is not scaling correctly on the computer, sometimes a side effect of tweaking for previous speeds.

If it was contention, you would expect more peaks and troughs rather than a line that is trending up.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-20 16:06:31
Print Post

Have ran fast.com before and have seen 1.1 Gbps on a 900 Mbps connection which also has a Gigabit Ethernet connection to the router, so as always just because it gives a nice number it is not necessarily correct.

Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Oct-20 09:03:58
Print Post

The Fast.com speed test was the one that the Openreach engineers were using too. Will the TBB speed test always give correct figures?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-20 10:21:38
Print Post

"Correct figure" is a difficult term.

Every actual speed test from any source is only a snapshot at the time of the interaction of many variables over which the test provider has no control. The provider minimises these as much as they can, by (at a guess), two main methods. Installing more throughput and processing capacity than they can reasonably expect, and setting up peering links to the main centres and ISPs in their own country.

If you have ever used speedtest.net for instance, the server it chooses automatically for you by testing a few latencies to you I find almost always gives me a lousy actual speed. It also rarely chooses the same server on two different days.

I use one I choose manually that I find consistently gives me high speeds, as it has to be nearer to "correct" that the lower ones. I also use the thinkbroadband one, and am pleased to report that when the two are used within minutes of each other they are generally in close agreement.

Even when the server company has the best possible setup as described above, the test data still has to go through your ISP and many intermediate routers all with immense amounts of other traffic to handle. For instance, extreme cases are when a Wimbledon final is on or a popular figure is playing, and a Formula 1 race is on, or the common clash of the Boat Race some other sport occurs, a speed test is likely to be poor.

Though the major ISPs are these days installing orders of magnitude more throughput capacity as the cost of it per gigabyte has dropped dramatically. So the effect of such clashes is decreasing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Oct-20 10:39:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There must also be a limit to the bandwidth available to the server that the TBB speed test runs on.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-20 12:12:08
Print Post

I didn't exclude tbb from the above. See the first "main" paragraph of the post.

I used the speedtest.net example to illustrate my point, because it is the main source with multiple independent businesses supplying the service. It isn't a single provider with multiple servers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Oct-20 20:15:19
Print Post

Every server has a limit, difference is we run the network the server is on and can be sure the links we control and data server is not a congestion point.

Standard User Fido
(experienced) Mon 12-Oct-20 23:20:37
Print Post

Regarding the speed test sites that we use; personally, I would prefer to use the Thinkbroadband Speed Tests to the others but perhaps that is because its the one that I have come to know and trust over the years. - The Fast,com speed test seems to be off and I do not know if the Ookla speed test is reliable but that does seem to be in the ball park of the Thinkbroadband speed tests;

https://zen-internet.speedtestcustom.com/result/312c...

and

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16025363266...

Someone suggested that I use a CAT7 cable but I seem to recall the Fritzbox Flat Cables are CAT7, (I have never had any issues with them), however, I did try a three meter CAT7 Cable from Amazon Basics that I had in my garage and I tried a new CAT6A cable, (that I made up myself for the test using a length of CAT6A cable and a couple of CAT7 plugs that were left over when we had the house wired for ethernet throughout), but that made no difference. - Once raised as an option; it did need to be considered because when I plugged the PC directly into the ONT, (prior to my making my first post on this thread), I had simply moved the ethernet cable from the router WAN Port to the PC RJ45 Port).

Someone asked if my equipment was capable of the speeds but I did point out in the earlier posts that it does sometimes run at over 900 Mbps , also my my PC and its ethernet card are rated to suit the speeds, (prior to my making my first post), so that is not an issue.- I use Windows 10, I keep it updated and I do not tweak it; I use Kaspersky Total with its tools to remove any rubbish. - I have tested the line on other equipment, including an almost new Xbox One X and the reported speeds on the Xbox One X vary in time with those on the PC.

Soon my circuit is to be given Elevated Traffic Status as that is what I pressed for as a first step because the general consensus seems to be that it is all down to contention and I am optimistic that it will cure the issues.

We do need it cured since, as can be seen from the above speed tests, today it is just more of the same.

Zen FTTP
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Oct-20 08:50:54
Print Post

Are you temporarily disabling Kaspersky Total Security when you do your speed tests? I use Kaspersky too, and found that it affected my speed test results.
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Tue 13-Oct-20 13:45:05
Print Post

Have you followed the earlier advise of booting from a Linux Live USB and doing the test there?

I mostly use Linux at home and have seen many occasions where Windows 10 achieves random throughput whereas Linux consistently hits my maximum combined speed. (not on FTTP mind you, dual FTTC)
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Tue 13-Oct-20 16:26:23
Print Post

Someone suggested that I use a CAT7 cable but I seem to recall the Fritzbox Flat Cables are CAT7, (I have never had any issues with them), however, I did try a three meter CAT7 Cable from Amazon Basics that I had in my garage and I tried a new CAT6A cable, (that I made up myself for the test using a length of CAT6A cable and a couple of CAT7 plugs that were left over when we had the house wired for ethernet throughout), but that made no difference. - Once raised as an option; it did need to be considered because when I plugged the PC directly into the ONT, (prior to my making my first post on this thread), I had simply moved the ethernet cable from the router WAN Port to the PC RJ45 Port).

You do know that Cat 7 cable is a complete and utter waste of time? In fact it is worse than that it is likely to negatively effect things unless you are using GG45/AR45 or TERA connectors with suitable sockets; which you 100% are not doing.

Further it is not recognized in any IEEE standard for Ethernet or is a TIA/EIA standard. 25Gbase-T and 40gbase-T both require Cat8 cable which is stated in the standard as being for data centre usage. Frankly given the incredibly low penetration of 10Gbase-T in the data centre (it's all direct attach SFP+ or actual fibre) then I imagine the take up of this will be even lower.

TL;DR anything beyond Cat 6a is only used by the uniformed and gullible who have more money than sense. If you genuinely have a noise problem use FTP Cat6a instead of UTP.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Oct-20 18:50:35
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

My download speeds were particularly poor with a PPPoE connection on my Windows 10 laptop, which is why I suggested that the OP used a bootable Linux USB for their testing.
Standard User Fido
(experienced) Wed 14-Oct-20 00:21:24
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
You do know that Cat 7 cable is a complete and utter waste of time?

I would like to say that I did know that but I did not.

That said; I don't tend to use CAT7, (which is why I had to search the garage for an old CAT7e cable).

I do usually use CAT6A for more critical areas and also for the fixed infrastructure but for most of the house I use whatever cables come with the equipment for TV's etc. and these are probably all CAT5e.

Regarding Elevated Traffic Status; apparently they put me on this today and I am not sure if does a lot of good since it has been up and down since the start. - One thing that I have noticed is that the Xbox Latency has gone right up and that world be a real negative if that was to continue. - (I am not sure why, perhaps this Elevated Traffic Status is a form of interleaving. - I don't know).

I also pressed the reset button on the ONT but I do not know if that had any effect.

Regarding a Linux USB: today, I did create a Linux USB; it seems to be something called Mint/main cinamon Linux and that does seem to operate in a fashion but it's hard to say as the speeds on Windows 10 have been up and down for a week.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16026278694...

and

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16026282797...

In some ways using a Linux USB is a bit like taking all of the seats, all the doors, the roof and almost everything else off a passenger car to see if you can go a few miles faster in the wind and the rain which is not a real world solution and it's not an answer but it could be useful as a comparison .

I will see how it goes over the next week.

Zen FTTP
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-20 00:45:04
Print Post

In some ways using a Linux USB is a bit like taking all of the seats, all the doors, the roof and almost everything else off a passenger car to see if you can go a few miles faster in the wind and the rain which is not a real world solution and it's not an answer but it could be useful as a comparison .

I will see how it goes over the next week.
Have the hood down on a car and no chance to close it when it starts raining, you need to go fast! That way the airflow over the windscreen carries nearly all of it away, except in a downpour.

wink smile

========================
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Oct-20 08:57:34
Print Post

This is what Zen told me when they enabled elevated traffic status for me:

At the moment, the resolution we've used on your service (and on some others) is to request an additional feature for your service called elevated traffic status. This prioritises your network traffic above others (standard traffic) meaning if there's any congestion, you should be unaffected.

As you can see from my BQM Graph, I have had no problems with latency since elevated traffic status was enabled.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Oct-20 12:26:19
Print Post

This test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16026282797... suggests nothing at all wrong with the FTTP or ISP side of things.

As this was Linux as opposed to Windows it points towards an issue with your Windows setup, network drivers, anti virus, previous speed tuning maybe.

Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-20 15:50:21
Print Post

Only way to more accurately test that is:

1. Boot the Linux USB - do the Test - note results
2. Boot back to Windows - do the test - note results

I know other variables go on in the minutes between tests (server load / ISP load) but should give a good idea whether it is Windows. It would NOT be unusual for Win10 (fully updated) to affect Network traffic, we had a similar issue on our enterprise network not long ago.

@Fido - You need to consistently test this at varying times per day (doing the linux test, then the windows test in relatively quick successfion).

Once this is done for a significant period of time (a week maybe) you will have some relatively useful data to go on to take to your ISP or investigate your own equipment.

Bear in mind XBOX's use Windows 10 also with a different UI on them so may not be a good test either smile

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 14-Oct-20 16:51:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
You do know that Cat 7 cable is a complete and utter waste of time?

I would like to say that I did know that but I did not.

That said; I don't tend to use CAT7, (which is why I had to search the garage for an old CAT7e cable).

Roughly speaking Cat7 has each individual strand covered with a shield. The upshot of which is each individual strand is electrically effectively a piece of coax cable. Actually it might be each pair but I can't be bothered to look it up and it makes little difference.

If these are not terminated properly then the signal will have a nasty tendency to bounce back off the ends and degrade the signal over a piece of Cat 6a.. That is why there are special plugs to go with Cat7 that have extra connectors so you can terminate the shield properly, aka get the impedance matched.

Unfortunately unscrupulous vendors are up selling to the uninformed Cat 7 on the basis it is a higher number so better. Random short patch lead in the home it probably won't make any difference because the distances are all way below the maximum permissible. One doubts any reputable network installer will ever use it. Certainly if one suggested it to me I would show them the door.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Oct-20 09:06:49
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

I do not see the point of the OP testing with both Linux and Windows. My suggestion would be that they test using Linux at different times of the day.
Standard User Fido
(experienced) Fri 16-Oct-20 20:45:24
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by haydnwalker:
Only way to more accurately test that is:

1. Boot the Linux USB - do the Test - note results
2. Boot back to Windows - do the test - note results

Yes: I fully agree and that it was my plan to do just that but I will not be using Linux any more.

Regarding speed: I did find that overall Linux was about 10% faster than Windows 10 Pro but I am not a Linux user and using it, (along with my tiredness from a week of early morning and daily tests), seems to have created other issues for me. - Partly because I did not fully trust a free Linux download.

Some people seemed to considerred that there was a problem with my Windows 10 Pro laptop/PC, (which to me was running really well and it had been running like a charm since I first installed Windows 10 Pro). That said, I took it onboard that something within my Windows PC was a part of the problem and I started fiddling around with the settings. I have two 1 TB hard disks in the PC and both had the same windows 10 installed on them with the same settings via a clone of the original to the 1TB hard disk. - Everything was good and I had got out of the habit of backing up to my portable 500GB USB drive which I last used over 2 years ago.

To avoid the possibility on a Windows 10 Pro issue on my laptop/PC I installed a brand new copy of Windows 10 Pro on the second, (ie the original/reserve), internal 1TB hard drive that the main 1TB SSD Hard Drive had been cloned from last year and then I was faffing about swapping between the Linux USB and the fresh install of windows 10 which seemed to make little difference and this was in the early hours of the morning and I had been at it for days,

The upshot is that when I seemed to see what I thought were Linux files, (which I don't really know/trust), inside my Main 1TB Hard Disk I deleted them and when these were changed I could not boot into the main 1TB Hard Drive and on foolishly pressing F4/recovery at start up screen it may have change its MBR to Windows 7 so now my main 1TB Hard Disk information is unobtainable and cannot be seen from the other hard drive even though the main hard drive is reported as being available and OK. - (These things happen at 4;00 in the morning when you have been faffing around for days with speed tests, making change to a system that was working well and and using different operating systems).

I was always more comfortable with hardware than software and since I retired, (some years ago), I have not had any PC problems/issues and Windows 10 had been so reliable that I become complacent regarding backups and I had tended to use the original 1TB Hard Disk with had a fresh format and a new install of Windows 10 Pro on it. - I never store anything in the cloud for and I keep everything on my PC. - I have tried recovery software but up to now no luck. - I will ask for support regarding this on another Thinkbroadband Forum.

Regarding Linux: My present view is that Windows 10 pro is a standard operating system and it needs to operate properly with Windows 10 Pro.

The upshot is that I will not be using Linux and there was nothing wrong with original installation of Windows 10 Pro settings or performance as it was working as well as the fully updated fresh install..

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTP
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Fri 16-Oct-20 21:48:39
Print Post

Post deleted by Realalemadrid
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Fri 16-Oct-20 22:01:52
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I was trying to link to Mr Saffron's reply earlier in the thread but the link didn't work, the speed on the linux test looked good, implying that your problem is something to do with the windows configuration on your PC. There could be many reasons for this but saying you will not test again using Linux is not going to help you. I guess that this is the first time you have had such a fast connection running on a Windows 10 system, so you need to examine possible reasons for the poor speed performance. I hope you can get it sorted soon.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Oct-20 14:52:05
Print Post

The point is that if your download speeds are as they should be when using Linux to test, there is nothing wrong with your connection. If they are only poor when using Windows to test, that is not something that you can expect Zen to sort out - as Mr Saffron said in an earlier post, that suggests a Windows configuration or NIC driver issue.
Standard User Fido
(experienced) Sun 18-Oct-20 19:27:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by tboorman:
The point is that if your download speeds are as they should be when using Linux to test, there is nothing wrong with your connection. If they are only poor when using Windows to test, that is not something that you can expect Zen to sort out - as Mr Saffron said in an earlier post, that suggests a Windows configuration or NIC driver issue.

Actually it never was a Windows configuration issue.

Linux was only, at best, about 10% faster the Windows but that sort of differential was not relevant to me and it also varied from one speed test to another as it did with Windows.

I pointed out from the start that the speed readings were inconsistent and that they varied at all times of the day and were no better at night or in early morning.

It is now certain that there not an issue with my Window 10 Pro configuration. - This was proved by a complete clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my second internal 1TB hard drive which then performed almost exactly the same as the Windows 10 Pro Installation that was, (at one time), fully operational on my first 1TB Hard Drive.

Therefore, after a full reformat and a clean full install of Windows 10 Pro on the second reserve Hard Drive. (Which previously had full backups of everything on the first 1TB Hard Drive including recovery backups, images etc, for the first Hard Drive it operates the same as the first hard drive one once did so the configuration of windows was never an issue..

The new suggestion that it could have be a NIC Driver issue is remotely possible but that would be unlikely to vary throughout the day/night and I always use the drivers that Windows 10 Pro recommends.

As I previously pointed out; due to swapping around between drives and systems in the late nights and the early mornings my main hard drive is now completely messed up and I have lost a good three years of stuff but I consider that to be my own fault.

I only blame myself for what happened to my PC System while I was looking for a fault that did not exist

I have not idea what the speeds have been as I am now busy trying mitigate the mess but it's hard to get The Dung Back in the Donkey.

Windows 10 Pro is a standard operating system and that is the system that I know and will use. - (One of the tests that I carried out, while my system was bootable, was to use Linux in Hyper V; which may have been why I noticed Linux on my main drive but although Linux seemed reasonable I don't know it and I found it hard to trust the free downloads for it).

Thank you to all who tried to assist.

Regads,
Fido

Zen FTTP
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Sun 18-Oct-20 20:33:09
Print Post

Actually it never was a Windows configuration issue.

This was proved by a complete clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my second internal 1TB hard drive which then performed almost exactly the same as the Windows 10 Pro Installation that was, (at one time), fully operational on my first 1TB Hard Drive.

Worth noting, that doesn't prove it. When I had speed issues in Windows I did a clean install and STILL had speed issues, even though Linux did not. The only thing that fixed it was a later Windows Update.
Standard User tboorman
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Oct-20 21:42:36
Print Post

Have you gone back to Zen with your findings? Has an issue with your FTTP installation definitely been eliminated?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to