User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ayh20
(newbie) Fri 30-Oct-20 12:37:11
Print Post

Reduced Set up charges for FTTP

[link to this post]

Anyone managed to get Zen to reduce the setup charge for FTTP (500 package) ? I'm moving into a new build house that has fibre installed, an ONT on the wall and they still want £55 to activate it ! And i don't even want to use their router !

I wouldn't mind if they needed an engineer visit or they were not changing much less for their 100 package !
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 12:59:44
Print Post

Re: Reduced Set up charges for FTTP

[re: ayh20] [link to this post]

I believe this is the activation charge from BT, so they are just passing that along.

Just because there is an ONT on your wall, doesn't mean that there won't be work for an engineer to do. It may not be patched in the cab for example.
Standard User unknown101
(member) Fri 30-Oct-20 13:16:03
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

Plus there was a cost to Openreach to fit that ONT, just because it already exists doesn’t mean they can’t recoup some of their costs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Fri 30-Oct-20 13:16:45
Print Post

Or maybe go with bigger ISPs and not pay any setup/activation fees at all?

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Oct-20 14:01:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Geordish:
Just because there is an ONT on your wall, doesn't mean that there won't be work for an engineer to do. It may not be patched in the cab for example.
No cabinets involved in FTTP. It's fibre optic all the way to the headend exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Oct-20 14:21:52
Print Post

Yeah I hate activation fee! Pretty stupid if you already got FTTP / G.fast / FTTC and ADSL2+ on the line to migration over shouldn't be charged set up fee (this always come when you are first activation in the first place)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Fri 30-Oct-20 15:32:20
Print Post

Re: Reduced Set up charges for FTTP *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Geordish

Edited by Geordish (Fri 30-Oct-20 15:34:24)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Oct-20 15:45:14
Print Post

It is quite right actually. The cabinets aren't involved.

There's no physical work done on the passive network when an upgrade or reactivation is done on OpenReach GPON.

It is indeed a single fibre between the splitter and the exchange. It is only split at 1 single point, up to 32 ways at the splitter.

ONT's are already activated/provisioned on the vast majority of new builds. i.e already connected to the CBT and that in turn to the splitter.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 30-Oct-20 15:47:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Oct-20 18:27:23
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks john. I've been away from this site, and certainly this forum, most of the day

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
  Print Thread

Jump to