User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 08-Feb-21 14:12:27
Print Post

Re: Zen latency huge drop.

[re: jimbof] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jimbof:
The office is my own, so I have a site-site VPN set up in my Ubiquiti hardware (the two sites are on separate subnets so it is all routed transparently over VPN). I've got a USG4Pro at home but only a USG3 in the office, that one will need upgrading as it isn't fast enough to saturate this link over VPN (assuming no other issues).

Yes, I also have site-to-site VPNs running but using the Fritz. I would add some Edgerouters (as recommended here) but I can't get to the other sites at the moment for obvious reasons. I'll have a look at the Ubiquity too, thanks.
I did try and avoid Zen sending me the Fritz as it's just going to go into the attic with all the rest of the Telco routers

I was already using FritzBoxes (although a better model than Zen send). When I upgraded or re-contracted or something I asked to have the 'free' router just so as I'd have it for troubleshooting. There's no way I'm going to reset my router to factory spec (even with the option of saving the config file). I don't expect you'll have enough issues with Zen to get annoyed!

Edit: I now see EdgeRouter is Ubiquity!

Edited by Woolwich (Mon 08-Feb-21 14:15:21)

Standard User jimbof
(learned) Mon 08-Feb-21 14:44:00
Print Post

Re: Zen latency huge drop.

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
I was already using FritzBoxes (although a better model than Zen send). When I upgraded or re-contracted or something I asked to have the 'free' router just so as I'd have it for troubleshooting. There's no way I'm going to reset my router to factory spec (even with the option of saving the config file). I don't expect you'll have enough issues with Zen to get annoyed!

I'm hoping it will be plain sailing...
I ordered FTTP 900 on Thursday, and the OR guy was out today already doing a survey in the snow no less...! It's just arrived in the area and I think I'll be the first connected at this rate (though a small amount of digging might get in the way of that...)
In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Edit: I now see EdgeRouter is Ubiquity!

Yes, they're very similar under the hood, though the Unifi stuff has a controller device (either on the network or on the cloud) that manages all the boxes on the network and "provisions" them with settings from the GUI, instead of having to learn some router OS to do it. Depending on which way you look at it, this is either a neat setup, or an annoyance.

There was a time when I used to build custom Linux based routers and firewalls for fun and profit, but these days it's something I don't get so much fun out of - they're basically understood problems and I just want it done as easily as possible. The site-site VPN setup on the Unifi interface was all of about 5 mouse clicks...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to