User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 03-Feb-21 08:32:38
Print Post

Adding digital voice to existing BTW FTTP?

[link to this post]

Have a Zen 100 Mbps down/18 Mbps up connection delivered over BTW/Openreach FTTP using one of the older Huawei ONTs with the inbuilt ATA.

I also am using one of the 'Zen Edition' Fritzbox 7530s although have set it to other provider so I can be sure the router won't reboot when am working on a remote system but have set the router to check for and apply updates between 3 and 6 in the morning.

Once I have a solution for the alarm system connected to the copper phone line I had intended to use the 7530s built in DECT base to host my existing cordless phones and do away with the landline.

At the time I was looking Zen didn't offer digital voice so was looking at A&A and did some brief testing and was happy with the results.

My question is, if I did go down the Zen route instead would they support this configuration and give me the details to set up the router or is a router upgrade required or is this detail delivered over their automatic configuration service only?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU =>> ZeN FTTP (100 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 7530

Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Wed 03-Feb-21 08:33:45)

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Feb-21 16:26:45
Print Post

Re: Adding digital voice to existing BTW FTTP?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Forget about the ATA on the ONT, these can no longer be used.
It may as well not be there and even mentioning it to an ISP will just confuse matters.

Also the term "Digital Voice" is a BT term. It's what they call their own VOIP.
I'm not aware of any other VOIP providers using the term Digital Voice, although Zen have a couple references to Digital VOIP.
It's just VOIP. There's no Analogue VOIP.

You can order VOIP from any pretty much any VOIP provider with the Fritzbox.

I can't see any standard residential type VOIP solutions on Zens website. All their offerings appear to be very business focused.

Edited by j0hn83 (Wed 03-Feb-21 16:29:20)

Standard User MattL
(newbie) Wed 03-Feb-21 17:38:57
Print Post

Depending on what alarm you have some can be upgraded to integrate with a WiFi/LAN module to the cloud reducing the need for a phone line or some allow a SIM in them that will text you weather the internet is working or not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimbof
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 14:00:46
Print Post

I was told by the guy on the phone when I ordered FTTP a couple of days ago that if I didn't sign up for the digital voice then and there that I wouldn't be able to add it at a later date - that it can only currently be provisioned with a new line. He said this might change in future, but that it was a brand new service at the moment and that is what it is.

Might be worth checking back with them, as I had been told a couple of conflicting bits of info by Zen sales on occasion. Let us know as I might be interested to sign up later - I didn't want to go near phone stuff when setting up FTTP for fear of something rippling through and breaking my current copper voice and FTTC line, which we need to remain for home working in the current crisis.
  Print Thread

Jump to