User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thesmileyone
(newbie) Sat 01-May-21 16:50:16
Print Post

Zen 300 / 500 / 900 with asus modem/router?

[link to this post]

Just wondered if it's possible to use my asus router (DSL-AC68) instead of the fritzbox? I get installed next week, I ordered the 300 service but it's somehow costing £60 a month (despite already being a long term zen customer which apparently means a futher discount) whereas people are paying £70 a month for 900??

I have a ton of custom rules set up in the Asus and would like to keep it. Also according to stuff online, people suffer packet loss with Fritz' because they think certain pings are DDOS attacks and filter them, as well as Fritzbox's wifi being much weaker than the ASUS ones.

From what I've gathered the ONT should supply an ethernet cable and I can just plug this into the WAN port on the ASUS and set it to pass-through ppeoe or something? Out of interest will this be the same login details as my current FTTC (ie I wouldn't need to change the config?)

Thanks

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
47.3mbit DOWN 9mbit UP 14ms - Speedtest.net
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Tue 04-May-21 14:44:36
Print Post

Re: Zen 300 / 500 / 900 with asus modem/router?

[re: thesmileyone] [link to this post]

Hi, yes you can use your ASUS router. If you've placed an upgrade order with our sales team, the user name and password will remain the same. You may need to update the config to remove the 101 VLAN-ID.

Our residential Full Fibre 300 package normally costs £49 /month. have you perhaps ordered some extras, e.g. a copper phone line, Zen EveryRoom (our Mesh wi-fi server) etc.?

If you PM me your details I'll happily check it out for you.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 04-May-21 21:31:43
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajays:
Hi, yes you can use your ASUS router. If you've placed an upgrade order with our sales team, the user name and password will remain the same. You may need to update the config to remove the 101 VLAN-ID.

Our residential Full Fibre 300 package normally costs £49 /month. have you perhaps ordered some extras, e.g. a copper phone line, Zen EveryRoom (our Mesh wi-fi server) etc.?

If you PM me your details I'll happily check it out for you.

This thread prompts me to write on being the holder of a domestic voucher under a community project that will see FTTP installed sometime this year on my Estate. I am a Zen user and have been for a good number of years (25+) and have in mind going for the 500 service without a phone service from Zen.

How exactly does everything slot together financially? Do I pay an installation fee and as a long term customer of Zen, is there really a discount that would apply to me? My initial enquiries showed there were other ISPs that would be cheaper than Zen, so knowing what I would actually have to pay and the length of contract imposed would be helpful.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 05-May-21 08:47:32
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

"...and have in mind going for the 500 service without a phone service from Zen.

How exactly does everything slot together financially? Do I pay an installation fee and as a long term customer of Zen, is there really a discount that would apply to me? My initial enquiries showed there were other ISPs that would be cheaper than Zen, so knowing what I would actually have to pay and the length of contract imposed would be helpful."

We have a single price for new and existing customers. £29.99 install and £55.99 /month. And of course this comes with our lifetime price guarantee. We promise not to increase the price of your broadband in contract or when your contract ends.

The contract term is 24 months.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Thu 06-May-21 14:55:49
Print Post

I had it installed today. Some issues...according to Zen support the openreach engineer used the wrong ethernet cable between the Fritzbox and the ONT, despite them being identical.

At first it did 290 down on a LAN PC test and 270 down on the engineers iPhone test, then after changing the wifi password and some other settings that have nothing to do with the internet, the internet speed won't go above 90 down on wifi OR lan. I've tried everything other than a factory reset, nada. My old Kindle won't accept a long wifi password, like the default one, so I use a shorter but more complicated one (that the Fritz says is "Strong").

Weird thing is that my lan is connecting at 100mbps due to a bug in Manjaro OS on my computer, so the 290mbps speedtest result should never have been possible in the first place!!!!

So it seems my computer has problems, but the line also has problems. Nothing flashing on the ONT led to indicate any fault on the line. Upload speeds are fine. Ping is 1ms lower.

You can see the jump then the fall here https://i.imgur.com/35MvIBH.png

Very confused.

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
(newbie) Thu 06-May-21 15:24:56
Print Post

....right

if I unplug the cable between the ONT and the router...and plug it back in

And I don't touch anything else

https://i.imgur.com/0NJpG3h.png

It works!

So I don't get it, is it a faulty fritzbox or a faulty cable?

Zen Fibre Unlimited 2
  Print Thread

Jump to