Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Thu 21-Feb-13 09:48:52
Print Post

Saving YouTube presentations

[link to this post]

Perhaps not the best place to post this query [suggestions welcomed] but let's have a go anyway:

Effectively I would like to view YouTube presentations when off line due to no Internet available. A "Jack & Jill" guide of how to achieve that would be most welcomed.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Feb-13 09:53:33
Print Post

Re: Saving YouTube presentations

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Link

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Thu 21-Feb-13 10:02:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thank you. I will give it a go.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Feb-13 12:01:33
Print Post

A method when running Windows XP:

480p, 720p and 1080p YT video files can often be copied from the browser cache - very easy with, for example, IE8 but a little more tricky with Chrome since playable file extensions are not given and the file extensions have to be re-written manually.

480p will normally be .flv (I used the free Prism video converter to play those) or .mp4. 720p and 1080p are normally .mp4 which can be played with, for example, Quick Time Alternative or the Prism video converter.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 12:13:51
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Personally I use Internet Download Manager which by default gives an option to save audio and video when you view it. It's how I save all YouTube videos because of VM's terrible streaming problem

http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

It gives you the option of all the videos available so all qualitys

I find VLC player plays everything these days

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 21-Feb-13 12:14:23)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Feb-13 13:32:48
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Personally I use Internet Download Manager which by default gives an option to save audio and video when you view it. It's how I save all YouTube videos because of VM's terrible streaming problem

Once the vid is fully buffered then I just copy it out of the browser cache, although my streaming speed is more than adequate even for 1080p smile

One problem I do have however is some new 480p and most new 360p vids are split into multiple files of less than 2MB in size in the browser caches and I haven't found a way of recombining them into a single file. Guess a download manager might be able to do that though...
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Feb-13 16:15:56
Print Post

I use Download Helper extension to Firefox, of course if you're not using Firefox that's not help to you grin

Tony
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Feb-13 21:08:48
Print Post

The free (Basic) edition of Real Player features a "Download This Video" button which is effective for downloading and converting embedded videos to a number of formats. If you don't want to convert, installing the K-Lite CODEC Pack will allow you to play just about any media file via Windows Media Player.
Standard User mikestarr
(newbie) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:18:12
Print Post

I use an app on my iPhone called V Download. Works a treat. You can view the YouTube or Vimeo videos on your phone off line or sync your phone with your computer and they appear there as well.

I should perhaps add that with the free version of the app you cannot get stuff from YouTube but the paid version is only about £1.49 and well worth it IMHO.

The only thing I don't like about the app is that when you use it to type into the YouTube search box, it always switches to landscape view, which is a bit irritating

Happy to add further detail if you need it but it is pretty straightforward.

Mike Starr
Broadband Upgrade Team
IT Authority
Ingatestone Essex
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Apr-13 18:19:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Perhaps not the best place to post this query [suggestions welcomed] but let's have a go anyway:

Effectively I would like to view YouTube presentations when off line due to no Internet available. A "Jack & Jill" guide of how to achieve that would be most welcomed.

Use Firefox and the Easy YouTube Downloader Plugin. Many free apps out there too.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
  Print Thread

Jump to