General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnbrennand
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-19 19:55:18
Print Post

Newbie needs help interpreting BQM

[link to this post]

Hi, I am on Virgin Media's 200 mbps package and utill Thursday was getting a rock solid 11/220/12. Then I noticed all speeds have dropped to around 15/40/11. Not getting any dropouts. My BQM was great until then - see first link, but last few days it is clearly problematic - second link. I will call it in in a day or so if it doesn't improve - but you will all be aware of the notorious behaviour of their "offshore" CS agents, so I want to go in with some informed comment to back up my simple "I think I have noise on my line". Thanks for any input

My Broadband Ping

My Broadband Ping

Edited by johnbrennand (Sun 13-Jan-19 19:56:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-19 21:28:44
Print Post

Re: Newbie needs help interpreting BQM

[re: johnbrennand] [link to this post]

Noise on the line is a DSL thing not a cable broadband thing

The sharp cliff edges to the poor BQM suggest that you might be doing something yourself to saturate the upstream e.g. a large cloud backup, or are downloading multiple massive files.

If this was congestion in the local area you would not expect such an on/off behaviour

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User johnbrennand
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-19 23:13:09
Print Post

Re: Newbie needs help interpreting BQM

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input I will check out the download/upload activities. Re. "noise" - although we may be talking about different things, the SNR (Signal Noise Ratio) is an important measure of the cable modem and connection performance - there are hundreds of posts about "noise" on the line contributing to speed reductions and drop outs on the VM Networking forum. There is an extremely detailed and technical overview of this, that is way over my pay grade, here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/POWER-LEV...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to