General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cluseau
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-20 13:45:59
Print Post

Draytek 2860 - BT FTTC(Huawei)-Random (mostly o'night) Drops

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Searched hi and lo but found no help. Half a dozen BT visits and Draytek support but still getting random drops mostly overnight. No-one can see any line issues and done the usual reducing of MTU and boosting SNR to no avail. BT now saying its a SHINE issue which is just not possible given the timings. Last night I unplugged all ethernet connections and switched off wifi on 2860. The BQM is attached:

My Broadband Ping

Graph up to 2230 is pretty typical with one drop around 2130. Between then and 1000hrs the following day is when the Router was isolated from the LAN but again showed pretty typical "spikes" and "drops". Can anything be deduced of value from this kind of behaviour please......losing hope!!

(please ignore left and right of graphs as I was trying different firmware loads!!)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Jan-20 15:15:41
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2860 - BT FTTC(Huawei)-Random (mostly o'night) D

[re: cluseau] [link to this post]

Have you verified with some out bound pinging that the behave is similar at the times when the latency ramps up

Reason being some routers do behave oddly when handling in bound ping

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cluseau
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-20 15:36:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you. Whenever I do a speed test ping rates are around 15ms. I have never really seen that change so I probably need to look out for an outbound continuous pinger. I have seen Paessler and PingPlotter mentioned. Might you know of others, perhaps. Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Jan-20 16:09:24
Print Post

Usual way is to notice the problem and check BQM and run a long train of command line pings to see if the same happens

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cluseau
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-20 23:09:57
Print Post

Mr Saffron,

Thanks for staying engaged. I am constantly pinging a number of sites. Google, Cloudflare and the BBC and to be honest I can see almost no correlation between outbound and inbound latency. Where BQM hints at lost packets with rises in latency (usually just after the packet losses) outbound pings are mostly ticking along as normal, rarely exceeding 15ms. There are one or two occasions where outbound latency rises towards 130ms on the cloud flare ping but there is nothing untoward on BQM. I really expected to see a correlation somewhere. What can this mean? Is it REIN, SHINE, Draytek, Openreach?....has to be one of them!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Jan-20 23:15:36
Print Post

It sounds like the software in the router may be busy doing other things than responding to the pings from the pingbox

Given the blocks of packet loss would expect you to notice the connection vanishing.

So likely thing is Draytek for now.

Standard User cluseau
(newbie) Fri 10-Jan-20 17:53:26
Print Post

Thanks MS.

Still looking to find some correlation. Odd that the router has (inbound) latency peaks over several minutes regularly every few hours even when all LAN/WiFi connections are disabled. Don't know if this would be called "normal" behaviour for Openreach or Draytek? When I check the logs I can't see any unusual behaviour around then.

Have you ever seen or heard of a Draytek 2860 behaving like this under normal conditions?

TVM, Steve
  Print Thread

Jump to