General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jan-20 15:20:32
Print Post

Strange IPv6 results with new router.

[link to this post]

I replaced my Billion 8800 with a Draytek 2672 and the IPv6 TBBQM looks horrible:

My Broadband Ping

Compared with the graph from the Billion:

My Broadband Ping

Both of these are pinging my email server rather than the router itself so are having to go through the firewall. I'm in discussion with Draytek and they've pointed out that they don't see any issues from their end. So I ran my own test using an online tool and I can see what they are saying:

https://www.subnetonline.com/pages/ipv6-network-tool...

'IPv6 Ping Output:
PING XXXXXX(XXXXXX (????:????:????:1:201:c0ff:fe11:f814)) 32 data bytes
40 bytes from XXXXXX (????:????:????:1:201:c0ff:fe11:f814): icmp_seq=1 ttl=120 time=30.9 ms
40 bytes from XXXXXX (????:????:????:1:201:c0ff:fe11:f814): icmp_seq=2 ttl=120 time=30.8 ms
40 bytes from XXXXXX (????:????:????:1:201:c0ff:fe11:f814): icmp_seq=3 ttl=120 time=30.5 ms
40 bytes from XXXXXX (????:????:????:1:201:c0ff:fe11:f814): icmp_seq=4 ttl=120 time=30.5 ms

--- XXXXXX ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3005ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 30.523/30.698/30.902/0.275 ms'

Which looks pretty reasonable all things considered (that site has an IPv4 test that says around 28ms). So why does TBBQM show such latency?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 27-Jan-20 15:23:33)

Standard User ashdown
(learned) Mon 27-Jan-20 20:06:53
Print Post

Re: Strange IPv6 results with new router.

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

When I switched from VM to FTTC, I installed a brand-new Draytek 130 modem and saw a similar high average latency on the TBB graph. In my case the ping was being returned by a pfSense firewall beyond the Draytek modem and I saw variable latency on outbound pings, too - most reasonably low but a few very high, thus dragging the average up.. After trying various things to no avail, I eventually did a factory reset on the Draytek modem.

I have no idea why it worked, but it did. The TBB graph went back to normal and has been fine ever since. Wierd, I know, but perhaps worth trying?
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jan-20 19:48:09
Print Post

It does appear to be something to do with the firewall. I've created a monitor that pings the router rather than my server and it looks fine.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Nothing useful from Draytek support yet but they are working with me on it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andew
(member) Wed 05-Feb-20 16:57:13
Print Post

Have you heard anything back from draytek about this?, my graph is also fine if i ping the router, but pinging a machine gives the same results you have seen.
Standard User Schoonover
(newbie) Sat 15-Feb-20 05:24:40
Print Post

Re: Strange IPv6 results with new router. *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User dect
(experienced) Sat 15-Feb-20 10:50:31
Print Post

[re: Schoonover] [link to this post]

One day you Spammers will at least attempt to type a sentence of your own rather than lifting them from other posts or other web sites.
  Print Thread

Jump to