General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User holdaway
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Apr-20 17:12:06
Print Post

Issues with connection dropping

[link to this post]

Hi all, hoping that you might be able to give me some guidance on issues with my connection dropping on a regular basis. I've had the quality monitor running for some time and have used PingPlotter which shows regular ping spikes and packet loss, but I'm not sure how to solve the issue.

My Broadband Ping

I'm too far from the router to run a cable (rented accommodation, cable would need to go through the living room and hall, into the office / spare bedroom). I don't seem to be getting the same issue with my phone or with my work laptop, so may be an issue specifically with the wifi on my PC (Asus z170i PRO Gaming mobo, Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A onboard wifi).

I am able to use a Powerline adapter but the drop in speed is such that I'd rather try to resolve the issue.

The only thing I can think of that may be at the root of this is that I enabled strong encryption through Powershell when installing a VPN, could this be causing issues specifically with wifi? I can supply the instructions I followed if that would help?

Cautiously optimistic, that's me!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Apr-20 17:27:02
Print Post

Re: Issues with connection dropping

[re: holdaway] [link to this post]

The monitor is pinging your providers gateway so local wireless issues will not show up unless running in modem mode and you've created a wireless bridge between a modem and your main router (i.e. very rare thing to do)

For the PC have you checked whether using the 2.4 GHz (more prone to interference) or the 5 GHz (less interference but shorter range).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User holdaway
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Apr-20 17:32:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did wonder, as it was showing a consistent connection when I was experiencing anything but.

I'm using the 5GHz connection, but was experiencing the same issue with the 2.4GHz connection (I have them different SSIDs to test this).

Cautiously optimistic, that's me!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Apr-20 20:31:07
Print Post

[re: holdaway] [link to this post]

In which case might the ISP router and its wifi not being great, or your computer may have driver issues

If you can get the PC close enough to use Ethernet for an hour or two you can see if its wireless or connection based

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User holdaway
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Apr-20 22:06:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wired or powerline both work without issue so I'm fairly confident it's an issue specifically with WiFi, I was just hoping to get some guidance on how to test this out. I'll try using my phone as a hotspot and check if I get the same packet loss, and if that resolves the issue I guess its time to pick up an alternative WiFi router!
  Print Thread

Jump to