General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ataloss
(newbie) Tue 19-May-20 20:50:11
Print Post

BQM explanation

[link to this post]

Hello
Hope everyone is managing to keep safe and well.
Issues with a BT all copper line. The SNR ranging was stuck but has been reset apparently. It has improved but the line is still poor. We get consistent 'no internet' lasting between say 10 seconds to a few minutes at a time - its not the wifi, as it happens the same on the wired connection.

I have done as much research as I can to try and educate myself on what my CQm graph means but I'm a bit lost and could use some kind help please.

We are a family of 4 all regularly using teams/zoom during the day and NF in eve.

Q - does this graph represent a normal busy ADSL copper line on a busy BT exchange? Or does it show anything I can point to to say my line is not acceptable? This general type of pattern seems to represent my line consistently over a time period.

Q - IF this is not an abnormal graph, would going to fibre (to the cabinet) improve the reliability.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Thanks in advance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-May-20 21:14:32
Print Post

Re: BQM explanation

[re: ataloss] [link to this post]

To me that graph looks like you are just overloading the connection, but that wouldn't explain disconnections. It should just go slow, not fall over.

Are you able to get to line stats in the Hub? IIRC they will be somewhere in the Troubleshooting pages.

The fact that your SNRM was reset, (actually the DLM - Dynamic Line Management of which the SNR is one parameter), suggests that disconnections had forced it up in the first place.

DLM on ADSLx does that in order to slow the line down, as the slower the line runs the fewer the transmission errors. It's a balancing act between speed and stability it does automatically.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
==================================================
"They say travel broadens the mind; but you must have the mind." G K Chesterton

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 19-May-20 21:14:58)

Standard User rowter
(learned) Tue 19-May-20 21:58:54
Print Post

Looks like a slow DSL line which is being heavly used to me, a FTTC connection would help

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ataloss
(newbie) Tue 19-May-20 22:24:47
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. Its a BT line but SP is not BT, the line stats in the Zyxel tell me there are actually zero drops so from what you guys tell me I have a poor line and realistically need to have FTTC.
Really appreciate it, thanks
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-May-20 23:59:00
Print Post

[re: rowter] [link to this post]

Seems like the OP "might" be located on the outer boundaries served by their exchange.

Also a FTTC connection "might" not be a better for them due to them being 1km from their cabinet.

Paul

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-20 01:53:31
Print Post

We could do with seeing the line stats from the ZyXel, and also an uploaded screenshot of the results from this estimator. (Wipe out the line above the table that gives your number or address).

Then we can can give informed advice.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connection - Three B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. 1+ 8 Pro max 80Mbps down, 24Mbps up.
Standard User ataloss
(newbie) Wed 20-May-20 09:22:53
Print Post

Hi
I think this below is the line stats?

============================================================================
ADSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: ADSL2+ Annex A
Traffic Type: ATM Mode
Link Uptime: 2 days: 5 hours: 11 minutes
======================================================================
ADSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 0.784 Mbps 6.880 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 0.776 Mbps 6.848 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 4.3 dB 6.4 dB
Actual Delay: 1 ms 0 ms
Transmit Power: 12.1 dBm 20.3 dBm
Receive Power: 4.7 dBm 4.7 dBm
Actual INP: 0.0 symbols 0.0 symbols
Total Attenuation: 0.0 dB 0.0 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate: 1.036 Mbps 7.036 Mbps

ADSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
Since Link time = 11 min 9 sec
FEC: 0 0
CRC: 9566 1001
ES: 3137 816
SES: 68 5
UAS: 0 0
LOS: 0 0
LOF: 0 0
LOM: 0 0
Latest 15 minutes time = 13 min 2 sec
CRC: 12 2
ES: 12 2
SES: 0 0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
CRC: 4 2
ES: 4 2
Latest 1 day time = 16 hours 13 min 2 sec
CRC: 403 235
ES: 336 232
Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
CRC: 744 353
ES: 512 351
SES: 3 0
Total time = 1 days 16 hours 13 min 2 sec
CRC: 19345 1508
ES: 5026 1317
SES: 190 8
UAS: 206 92
LOM: 87 0

AND I think this is the BT data you told me to get? Along the way I learned about UPRNs! Cheers smile every day is a school day.

UPRN XXXXXXXX on Exchange CROWTHORNE is served by Cabinet 19
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 27.1 16.5 5 2.9 14.2 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 26.5 14.8 5 2.7 11.3 Available Available
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
WBC FTTP Up to 1000 Up to 220 -- Available KCI2 Assure
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3.5 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 3.5 Up to 0.5 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available

Lastly, they told me the SNR ranging was stuck on 3dB, apparently it was fixed Friday PM, this is what my graph looked like for that day, if it helps https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

To my ignorant eye, this seems to confirm that my line is not brilliant but really I am just asking too much from it?
I'm also interested in what in there can tell you if FTTC would or would not help? I think I might be a bit over 800m not 1km from cabinet

Thanks Roberto, rowter, Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-May-20 10:12:09
Print Post

WBC FTTP Up to 1000 Up to 220 -- Available KCI2 Assure

Full fibre is available, orders start again on 1st June and there is a bit staged process to install this.

Otherwise VDSL2 is available with higher speeds than your adsl2+ in range 14 to 27 Mbps

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-May-20 11:03:21
Print Post

Note that the FTTP MrSaffron points to is by far the best option. There will be a number of speeds to choose from on the BT and other web sites, starting at sensible prices for speeds like 76/19.

The beauty of FTTP is it always sync's at exactly the (underlying Openreach) product speed. (40/10, 80/20 and higher). No "up to" connection speed. There will be some variations in throughout speed of course depending on the provider's backhaul capacity, but with the major and some smaller ISPs that should not be a problem. The same variation exists whatever internet connection you have.

You should definitely go for an FTTP product. The prices at the lower levels are the same as the variable speed FTTC/VDSL2 products where as MrS said, the highest connection speed would still be under 30Mbps.

Very importantly, if there is a long-standing intermittent or frequent fault on your copper line, FTTP does not use any copper. It is fibre all the way into your house. VDSL/FTTC still uses your existing copper line from the cabinet.

Standard User ataloss
(newbie) Wed 20-May-20 11:42:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks very much.

I do understand the FTTP vs FTTC, just didn't think I needed more than dsl until the lockdown hit.

I am not sure if I am being unfair and this is actually an acceptable dsl line - so can I ask, (if you have time) - I don't know what the data I posted is telling me - does my line indicate anything untoward or is it just an ok/slowish dsl and I am over using it?

I take it red on a graph is an upstream issue, but the blue on my graph is just me using the line heavily?

Thank you for your time.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to