I tried playing with the various attenuators and it did get better for a day, but then went bad again. Looks like the “Post RS Errors” field in the router status page is the one to watch, when it flares up I see packet loss.
I see two columns, one for each channel, downstream I have 24 channels, and I see Pre RS Errors and Post RS Errors. I am taking a guess that RS is Reed-Solomon error correction, and the number Pre is total errors, and Post is the errors that couldn't be fixed by the error correction
On my channel 1 I see Pre of 402,288, and Post of 123,869 which are high numbers, on channel two they are 20,000 and 1,000, and the post numbers are no higer for the rest of the channels. On the upstream I have 4 channels and no mention of errors, just timeouts T1, T2, T3, T4 which are all 0.
I have my SH3 in modem mode connected to an Asus router, running the alternative Merlin firmware, there is a module called "modmon" which tracks the SH3 statistics and draws graphs, 24 hours, 7 days and 30 days. I've just installed it!
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM