General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Sun 24-May-20 12:16:04
Print Post

Re: Can someone advise if this is normal

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I tried playing with the various attenuators and it did get better for a day, but then went bad again. Looks like the “Post RS Errors” field in the router status page is the one to watch, when it flares up I see packet loss.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-May-20 12:44:41
Print Post

[re: ndfred] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ndfred:
I tried playing with the various attenuators and it did get better for a day, but then went bad again. Looks like the “Post RS Errors” field in the router status page is the one to watch, when it flares up I see packet loss.

I see two columns, one for each channel, downstream I have 24 channels, and I see Pre RS Errors and Post RS Errors. I am taking a guess that RS is Reed-Solomon error correction, and the number Pre is total errors, and Post is the errors that couldn't be fixed by the error correction calculations.

On my channel 1 I see Pre of 402,288, and Post of 123,869 which are high numbers, on channel two they are 20,000 and 1,000, and the post numbers are no higer for the rest of the channels. On the upstream I have 4 channels and no mention of errors, just timeouts T1, T2, T3, T4 which are all 0.

I have my SH3 in modem mode connected to an Asus router, running the alternative Merlin firmware, there is a module called "modmon" which tracks the SH3 statistics and draws graphs, 24 hours, 7 days and 30 days. I've just installed it!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/modmon-webui-for-m...

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 09:01:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I figured this out: all I had to do was... to untangle the cable! It was bent / had tight turns, since I unfolded it and allowed it to curve gently all my errors dropped and my connection quality is vastly improved. Happy my connection quality is much better now!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jul-20 10:29:35
Print Post

[re: ndfred] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ndfred:
I figured this out: all I had to do was... to untangle the cable! It was bent / had tight turns, since I unfolded it and allowed it to curve gently all my errors dropped and my connection quality is vastly improved. Happy my connection quality is much better now!

Excellent, great news!

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to