General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ruhul
(newbie) Fri 29-May-20 12:14:20
Print Post

Re: Can someone advise if this is normal

[link to this post]

(Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place)

Been having a really poor time with virgin (surprise surprise) and I've thrown money at the problem without really knowing if there's much room for improvement or if I'm hitting the performance limit of their network.

Hub3 in modem mode with Asus Merlin router. Is there anything I can do to improve this graph?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-May-20 12:59:47
Print Post

[re: Ruhul] [link to this post]

The patterns suggest a busy network, either you filling your own connection or the overall usage in your area

The fairly stable patterns in the midnight to 6am period show the best you can expect if there is no heavy load in your area or your own usage loading your connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ruhul
(newbie) Fri 29-May-20 14:44:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. I have gone as far as to test with my LAN entirely disconnected and the graph looks the same. So there's no doubt in my mind it is a busy probably oversubscibed network.

The only metric virgin seem to look at is bandwidth with no interest in looking at ping times or bloat (two things most important for latency sensitive apps for voip and gaming). Has anyone managed to get Virgin to acknowledge let alone address this? I have given up trying to call them because if someone asks me to reset my hub one more time I might burst a blood vessel.

(also on the vivid100 plan I should be getting 100/10 but at peak times during the day I get something closer to 50/1. I get it there's increased load right now but for my use case 1mbps up is useless.)

Edited by Ruhul (Fri 29-May-20 14:52:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-May-20 16:08:43
Print Post

[re: Ruhul] [link to this post]

When its really bad they will sometimes acknowledge an area is congested, and then its a case of wait for the work to add more capacity in the network locally

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to