General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Notifications
(newbie) Sat 15-Aug-20 21:55:33
Print Post

Ping not responding VM Hub 4

[link to this post]

I have a VM Hub 4 and I've tried to set up a TBB Monitor, it worked fine on my Hub 3 and after an upgrade to 1Gb with the new Hub it seems to be 100% Packet loss whilst the Broadband is fine, I've checked and there's nothing in Advanced Settings to change the MTU ping or whatever it is.
Standard User BlackWind
(newbie) Sun 16-Aug-20 16:42:56
Print Post

Re: Ping not responding VM Hub 4

[re: Notifications] [link to this post]

with virgin hubs requires firewall to be turned off so i would only do it if you are experiencing problems as its risky.
Standard User Notifications
(newbie) Mon 17-Aug-20 00:12:03
Print Post

[re: BlackWind] [link to this post]

Problem is there's actually no options like there is on the Hub 3, I genuinely have Advanced > Tools > Router Status & then there's Admin > Change Password > Reset & Reboot and finally Info.
I can't see any option to disable Firewall etc in the Hub 4 settings.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-20 06:40:14
Print Post

[re: Notifications] [link to this post]

Do you see any settings about ICMP ?
For Pings / BQM to work you need to allow for ICMP to be allowed on your router.

Paul

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Aug-20 16:12:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Wouldn't be surprising if VM have removed it as BT don't allow it on their latest routers. Seems the standard ISP routers are removing these options - perhaps they don't want people to be able to run pings all day to their routers.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-20 00:03:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Wouldn't be surprising if VM have removed it as BT don't allow it on their latest routers. Seems the standard ISP routers are removing these options - perhaps they don't want people to be able to run pings all day to their routers.

Yeah, another reason why I am staying clear of our the Smart Hub 2 Router, its too locked down for my liking, my router allows me to have our connection setup as I like, sure it took a lot of reading up to get it how I want it.

I do understand why for the most of users the ISP Routers might be fine, but I would like a choice to be allowed to have full control on our connection like I do on our current 3rd party router which is miles better than BT's Smart Hubs currently are.

Paul

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 08:00:34
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
I do understand why for the most of users the ISP Routers might be fine, but I would like a choice to be allowed to have full control on our connection like I do on our current 3rd party router which is miles better than BT's Smart Hubs currently are.
VM is a bit different in that you cannot replace it because it does the ethernet to coax physical layer and protocol bridge. Luckily you can enable modem mode, and then use your own device behind.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to