General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrtcs
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 09:18:38
Print Post

IPv6

[link to this post]

If you provide a domain name for the BQM target and an IPv6 address is available for that fqdn does the pingbox use an IPv6 route?

I ask because I noticed a difference between supplying a FQDN and suppling the IPv4 address.

Thanks.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Oct-20 10:50:47
Print Post

Re: IPv6

[re: mrtcs] [link to this post]

If an ipv6 address is available and you want that pinged then why not just enter the ipv6 address in to the BQM?

I have 3 x BQM's.
Ipv4
Ipv6
And a ddns hostname.

They are all almost identical.
Standard User mrtcs
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 13:51:54
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
If an ipv6 address is available and you want that pinged then why not just enter the ipv6 address in to the BQM?

I have 3 x BQM's.
Ipv4
Ipv6
And a ddns hostname.

They are all almost identical.

Thanks for the information, J0hn83. That partially answers my question because now I know that the BQM is able to ping over IPv6. I can assume that if an AAAA record is available, BQM may use it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Oct-20 19:55:40
Print Post

[re: mrtcs] [link to this post]

Don't forget that on IPv6 you need to find/use the router'sWAN address. Unless you actually wish to ping a specific device, which gets a bit trickier. It has 2, and it's the "Temporary" one that is seen if you do a "What's my IP?" query. That changes frequently.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
  Print Thread

Jump to