General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spgray
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 15:15:13
Print Post

BQM help - virgin connection

[link to this post]

Hi

i've been monitoring my Virgin M200 connection for some time. I have the hub3 in modem mode with an Asus RT-AX88U as the router.

i should note that i never have any speed related issues. downstream and upstream always bang on what they should be for the package - 221Mbps down 21Mbps up

however the BQM looks not very good at all, with yellow spikes all over the place.
i have had 2 seperate visits from virgin engineers to look at the connection etc. they have replaced the internal cabling, the cabling from the cab to the external of the house. added attenuators to help with the slope the line had.

all seems to have made no difference. the line is phsyically capable of around 580Mbps (it's not a DOCSIS 3.1 area yet).
virgin have advised there are no faults/works and there are no conjestion issues.

the BQM has looked like this for months, it's not a recently new thing.
for those on the virgin forum, here is my 9 page thread about it https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-...

here is my live BQM
My Broadband Ping

and this is yesterdays (the dopped connection was the hub receiving a software update)
My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Nov-20 15:52:01
Print Post

Re: BQM help - virgin connection

[re: spgray] [link to this post]

Fairly normal for a cable connection, more jitter is to be expected

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User spgray
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 16:03:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

not sure it is normal though when i compare it to other virgin BQMs.
the yellow spikes are excessive, and this has been noted by a few virgin forum members.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Nov-20 17:00:35
Print Post

Different areas have different network layouts on the cable side. It may be normal for your area.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User spgray
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 18:46:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

but how can you tell if it is normal for the area or not. anyone who has seen my BQM on the virgin forum says it's dreadful and needs looked at.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Nov-20 19:30:01
Print Post

The amount of higher yellow peaks through the night till around 10am are a little worse than other lines.
From 10am today onwards your line looks no different to most Virgin lines.

I had a brand spanking new Virgin FTTP (RFOG) line, 1st on the new cabinet and a brand new network/area and it wasn't much (if any) better than your line from 10am today.

Pre 10am not great, post 10am perfectly normal for DOCSIS.
Standard User spgray
(newbie) Thu 05-Nov-20 19:57:35
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

comapre it to the BQM of jchamier though ?
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Thu 05-Nov-20 20:32:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by spgray:
Hi

i've been monitoring my Virgin M200 connection for some time. I have the hub3 in modem mode with an Asus RT-AX88U as the router.

i should note that i never have any speed related issues. downstream and upstream always bang on what they should be for the package - 221Mbps down 21Mbps up

however the BQM looks not very good at all, with yellow spikes all over the place.
i have had 2 seperate visits from virgin engineers to look at the connection etc. they have replaced the internal cabling, the cabling from the cab to the external of the house. added attenuators to help with the slope the line had.

all seems to have made no difference. the line is phsyically capable of around 580Mbps (it's not a DOCSIS 3.1 area yet).
virgin have advised there are no faults/works and there are no conjestion issues.

the BQM has looked like this for months, it's not a recently new thing.
for those on the virgin forum, here is my 9 page thread about it https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-...

here is my live BQM
My Broadband Ping

and this is yesterdays (the dopped connection was the hub receiving a software update)
My Broadband Ping

Apart from the graph having a bit more yellow what issue(s) are you facing? I thought the yellow was often just down to the connection being used. Mine goes up when I use the connection quite heavily. It the blue and red that’s the problem I thought. Here is my Virgin Media results for today.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Nov-20 21:39:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by spgray:
comapre it to the BQM of jchamier though ?
My connection is not in use at the moment, so may not be a fair comparison. I am in the Surrey/Hants border network for VM.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User spgray
(newbie) Fri 06-Nov-20 12:31:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

my connection is not in use during the night, yet the BQM has yellow spikes all over the place during those periods.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to