General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User resadme
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 16:26:38
Print Post

Changing IP Address

[link to this post]

I have had problems with my VM broadband (using a Hub 3) this year – there have been several long service interruptions as well as many transient drop-outs. I set up a BQM in April which showed that there was a high incidence of packet loss and longer latency during day time (~08:00 – 22:00). VM acknowledged my poor service was due to “utilization issues” (i.e. congestion!), and work was planned to rectify the situation. After about 6 weeks of monitoring BQM, I was initially puzzled by being faced with a “red wall” (continual 100% packet loss) even though the broadband connection was (at last!) good. I realised that my IP address might have changed; indeed it was, presumably by VM due to modification of the network infrastructure. My broadband connection was then far more reliable but I kept BQM for this new IP address (IP#2).

I have again been suffering poor broadband connection for the past few weeks so I checked BQM which showed much longer latency than when IP#2 was first monitored, so I may again be suffering from “utilization issues”.

But I was puzzled that at times when the router disconnected there was no associated packet loss shown on the BQM graph.

After a period I thought it sensible to set up another BQM. I was surprised that the IP address (IP#3) shown on this new BQM graph had changed. I have confirmed that IP#3 is indeed my Public IP address.

I turned off the modem and this was associated with Packet Loss on BQM of IP#3 but not IP#2.

Any ideas what BQM of IP#2 is showing? Is there any way to check when, and how, my Public IP address was changed from IP#2 to IP#3?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Nov-20 20:33:59
Print Post

Re: Changing IP Address

[re: resadme] [link to this post]

Your service is a dynamic IP address one, so probably the old BQM is pinging someone else's connection now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Nov-20 20:35:14
Print Post

[re: resadme] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by resadme:
Is there any way to check when, and how, my Public IP address was changed from IP#2 to IP#3?
No. Virgin Media provide dynamic addresses which mean they change whenever they want to.

You should look at using Dynamic DNS which sets up your Hub to update a name each time the address changes. Then you tell the BQM to use the name, not the IP. That way you don't have this problem.

You should delete/disable any BQM not using your current IP address.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Wed 11-Nov-20 20:35:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User resadme
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 21:04:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew , Thanks for confirming my suspicion
Standard User resadme
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 21:07:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

James, Thanks for suggestion about DDNS - I shall look into that. I will delete BQM of old IP address
  Print Thread

Jump to