General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gamma577
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-20 17:06:15
Print Post

bqm for dynamic ip host

[link to this post]

Hello there!

I am a newbie here. I have a question in mind and this is my first post.

I have a dynu ddns host redirected to my router's ip address. I setup a bqm, but it shows a thick red block (100% packet loss). I am have a virgin media superhub 3 in modem mode. My router is bt home hub 5a with openwrt. My virgin supplied host name looks like pc#####[email protected]@@@51-6-0-cust##.#-#.cable.virginm.net)

I have no idea about icmp protocol(s). All that I know is it does not need any port number.

With this meagre knowledge, I decided to go a little deeper. So I create two more bqms. One for virgin supplied ip address (raw-ip) and another for virgin supplied host name (vm-host). Here are all the three the graphs :

1. ddns : ddns

2. raw-ip : raw-ip

3. VM-Host : VirginMedia-Host

I have been disabling and enabling the wan ping on my bt hh5a every now and then. These changes are reflected in raw-ip and VM-Host bqms. I also verified by pinging the relevent host/ip address. However the ddns bqm still shows a 100 % packet loss.

My question is : Is my ddns service not sending dns request to the bqm server? Or is someone else, say Virgin Media, replying to the pings on my behalf?

I appreciate your thoughts over this scenario. This will help me to understand the things. Since bqm is a free service, I want to limit the usage to the minimum. So, just ddns bqm should suffice. But until it gets working, I need to attend the bqm setup manually. Getting the ddns host bqm working is the reason for this post. smile

Thank you for your time and attention.

-Gamma
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Nov-20 17:42:11
Print Post

Re: bqm for dynamic ip host

[re: Gamma577] [link to this post]

Just realised your Hub 5 is now running OpenWRT, so deleting what I asked about the Hub 5. smile

The virgin media host name is just a name for the IP, you can ignore this, and a BQM to the virgin host name will be the same as to the IP. They both change when the IP changes.

Have you tried a lookup service web page?

1 - check the IP you are coming from, e.g. from a computer on your connection go to one of these pages:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/what-is-my-ip
https://ipquail.com/

2 - go to a third party lookup site, e.g. https://dns-lookup.com/
Input your full DDNS name, and check the IP that comes back is the same as the IP shown in step 1.

If not, then your DDNS service is not updating. I'm using Afraid.org service (https://freedns.afraid.org/)

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 13-Nov-20 17:50:54)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Nov-20 19:04:10
Print Post

[re: Gamma577] [link to this post]

Trace route to your virgin media IP address is working but ping is not, suggesting router is not responding to pings at the time I tried

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gamma577
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-20 19:30:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for a little mistake. I was fiddling around wan ping setting. I've now enabled it (1925 hrs). The pings to all 3 options show positive replies.

Thank you!

-Gamma
Standard User Gamma577
(newbie) Fri 13-Nov-20 20:33:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thank you jchamier, for detailed post.

I went through the steps you mentioned. The dns redirection looks fine. I think it's the dynu ddns server not updating. I will try with your ddns service afraid.org. Let me see how it goes. If successful, I will stick to them.

Thank you once again for your suggestions. smile

-Gamma
Standard User Gamma577
(newbie) Sat 14-Nov-20 10:54:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi jchamier,

As per your suggestion, I created a new ddns host on afraid.org. I can confirm that the new hostname is working very well with bqm. I think I should stick to that. My old ddns provider has a problem.

Thank you for your inputs. smile

-Gamma
  Print Thread

Jump to