General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vwjap
(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-21 17:38:07
Print Post

BQM

[link to this post]

So my mums broadband works ok but it seems to drop down to 1 mbps after a couple of minutes then up and back down again, it does it on my sons ps4 to, which is wired so I’m thinking it’s not the WiFi, plus a few years ago I changed the original router for a sky q one, thought I’d do a check on it, can anyone give me an idea what the map tells you, I know my son was online gaming from about 4 till 10 yesterday afternoon, anyhow here’s the map

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Edited by Vwjap (Mon 08-Feb-21 17:39:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Feb-21 23:41:34
Print Post

Re: BQM

[re: Vwjap] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vwjap:
So my mums broadband works ok but it seems to drop down to 1 mbps after a couple of minutes then up and back down again, it does it on my sons ps4 to, which is wired so I’m thinking it’s not the WiFi, plus a few years ago I changed the original router for a sky q one, thought I’d do a check on it, can anyone give me an idea what the map tells you, I know my son was online gaming from about 4 till 10 yesterday afternoon, anyhow here’s the map

That's not a "Sharing" link I'm afraid. You need to find the correct link on your BQM setup/amend page smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User Vwjap
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-21 09:32:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That any better?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Feb-21 15:11:03
Print Post

Yes, but scary! I'm not sure what to think. In the years the BQM has existed I've never seen one like that.

The fact it is fairly consistent, but heavily loaded, in the active as opposed to red areas suggests to me something of quite high usage is going on at your end, rather than an external problem. Do you have anything like online backups or always-on security cameras running for instance? Or a phone wire coming to the house over a sub-station?`

It is noteworthy that the reds are not losses of connection. Just of a huge number of packets.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User Vwjap
(newbie) Tue 09-Feb-21 15:35:59
Print Post

No cameras or backups, but a nest, but had the problem before the nest was installed, could it be it’s only 16mgbs and doing anything uses it up, or when it drops to 1mgbs it’s taking up all the bandwidth?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-21 20:21:38
Print Post

What is the speed of the connection? download and upload speeds.

My guess is somehow you are maxing out the upload of the line for a long period, which is stopping the router from responding to the BQM probes.

If you have ADSL with a typical 1 Mbps upload it is very common to max out the upload with even a video call (e.g. Zoom, Facetime, WhatsApp) or perhaps syncing a large file into Dropbox or OneDrive.

Or if there are multiple people in the home, using the internet at the same time, then the total usage together is saturating the upload.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-21 20:22:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes, but scary! I'm not sure what to think. In the years the BQM has existed I've never seen one like that.
I'm guessing the router gets overloaded and starts ignoring pings when it is working hard.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Feb-21 20:26:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Agreed, I was thinking upload, which is why I was asking about cameras and backups. But it didn't occur to me it might be ADSL-type upload speeds these days.

So you could well be right. but in the middle of the night?

I didn't quite get the OP's bit about the "nest" either. A bird's nest, so a camera but they say no cameras, or a Nest doorbell or alarm system etc.?

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Feb-21 20:28:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But it didn't occur to me it might be ADSL-type upload speeds these days.
The OP's later post mentions 16 and 1, which I suspect is ADSL.
So you could well be right. but in the middle of the night?
iPhones / iPads can do backups to iCloud in the quiet hours if in WiFi and charging. Some Android devices choose a similar time for a backup.
I didn't quite get the OP's bit about the "nest" either. A bird's nest, so a camera but they say no cameras, or a Nest doorbell or alarm system etc.?
I assumed the original Nest thermostat, before Google bought them. https://nest.com/

https://store.google.com/us/magazine/compare_thermos...

Edited by jchamier (Tue 09-Feb-21 20:30:17)

Standard User Vwjap
(newbie) Wed 10-Feb-21 08:19:24
Print Post

Yes sorry, a nest thermostat,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to