General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JakeRoof
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-21 12:08:25
Print Post

BQM - Is this normal?

[link to this post]

Hello,

So I'm wondering, when looking at this BQM, is this 'normal' or is it possible that there's something wrong?

It's an FTTC line, and internet does 'drop' rather frequently - i.e. modem Hub Shows uptime for internet connection to be quite recent, in the hours, as opposed to let's say a few days. Where as modem uptime (since last reboot) will be 14 days+.

https://ibb.co/tpcL3cp
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Mar-21 13:29:28
Print Post

Re: BQM - Is this normal?

[re: JakeRoof] [link to this post]

How much do you use the link? Got any big regular uploads/downloads going? Either that is a heavily used line or there is an issue somewhere. Can you post the stats from the router for SNR/margin/attenuation and if possible any error stats.
Standard User JakeRoof
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-21 16:01:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
How much do you use the link? Got any big regular uploads/downloads going? Either that is a heavily used line or there is an issue somewhere. Can you post the stats from the router for SNR/margin/attenuation and if possible any error stats.

Nope, no big uploads or downloads - a Nest Hello Doorbell, but this has been like this before it was installed. Kids use their phones when not at school, but even during the day (when they're at school) it still seems to be quite high.

Is this below what you're looking for?

Noise margin (up/down) 5.9/10.1
Line attenuation (up/down) 23.9/23.7
Signal attenuation (up/down) 23.8/21.2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grimers
(regular) Thu 08-Apr-21 17:03:51
Print Post

Yep! Can you post the line rate as well, the downstream noise margin looks high, but that could be due to your line syncing at the highest speed of your package e.g. 40/80 Mb
Standard User JakeRoof
(newbie) Wed 14-Apr-21 17:18:12
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

'Data Rate' shows as 7.06 Mbps / 35 Mbps
'Maximum Data rate' shows as 7.06 Mbps / 44.15 Mbps

I started doing the BQM again this morning at 6am here it is - barely any using during the day;

https://ibb.co/b3JCc83

Edited by JakeRoof (Wed 14-Apr-21 17:20:51)

Standard User JakeRoof
(newbie) Thu 15-Apr-21 12:40:07
Print Post

Here is the BQM, over a 24 hour period.

https://ibb.co/8BWVq80

I guess what we're trying to figure out, is if this is normal. A fault has been open with EE for a number of months, and internet has been dropping quite frequently. Since changes made by the engineer, it has improved a little.

Edited by JakeRoof (Thu 15-Apr-21 12:48:18)

Standard User Grimers
(regular) Thu 15-Apr-21 19:25:03
Print Post

Looks like the downstream has been banded at 35 Mb, most likely due to line errors/drops. Do you have a phone? Check to see if your line is noisy.
Standard User JakeRoof
(newbie) Fri 16-Apr-21 09:10:49
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

In all honesty, it keeps jumping up and down. If a line reset is done, it'll be at 40, then slowly drops down to about 32.5, then will just carry on fluctuating up and down.

It also seems to disconnect and reconnect every night (between 1am and 6am)- they've said it's the DLM (I know this as modem device uptime is in the days, while network uptime is always within the hours. But surely the DLM shouldn't be kicking in every single night?
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 09:59:08
Print Post

From what I've observed in my router stats DLM is constantly active. My download SNR varies from minute to minute by an odd dB.

What you're experiencing is much the same as I did up until recently as I described in this thread.

My connection is now rock steady and I'm on day 13 since my last sync.

p.s. - My speed tests are very good also e.g. this one just done.

plusnet FTTC 55/10
Using a Fritz!Box 7530

Live BQM

Edited by longedge (Fri 16-Apr-21 10:05:15)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Apr-21 10:17:25
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I am not sure about your first sentence and may be misunderstanding but DLM is not what alters your SNR value - that is the presence or absence of noise. As noise changes on a line the SNR will change. What DLM changes is the target SNR margin that will be used on connection - unless your line is disconnecting a lot DLM is just sitting in the background making no changes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to