User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-May-11 17:45:02
Print Post

Re: Email Options?

[re: dorsetlad] [link to this post]

In the link I gave you in this post http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/3999866-re-ema...
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk (use authentication, optionally use port 587)
gets round the ISP blocking port 25 of other providers as is customary.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-May-11 17:49:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by dorsetlad:
But if I set up a new BTYahoo account in Thunderbird, any mail from them will be downloaded with my normal Yahoo mail.
You should be able to segregate them using Filters or Message Rules provided by most clients. But is it worth the bother? You shouldn't get too many communications from BT.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-May-11 23:01:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The OP will need to use the new account - or at least monitor it as it will be the one BT uses to send out reminders and information.
????
Is that an absolute?

Surely they should use whatever email address you tell them to use? As far as I know every other ISP does, even if it defaults to themselves and you have to change it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-May-11 23:08:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by dorsetlad:
Good point MHC. Even if I don't use the email address for general use. But if I set up a new BTYahoo account in Thunderbird, any mail from them will be downloaded with my normal Yahoo mail. And as XrayspeX says, I will not need to inform all my contacts about the change of address.
You're getting there, slowly smile.

Assuming MHC is right that you have to read the BT Yahoo emails to check for important stuff from them, (I've queried this with him as that sounds very unusual, but he is rarely wrong), as long as you don't tell that address to anyone else then all will be unchanged from now, except for adding a new account in Thunderbird.

Your existing Yahoo (and gmail) account(s) in Thunderbird would just run as now except you have to go into the SMTP server setting I described earlier and edit the port to 587.

That I assume is correct for Yahoo, as he gave it. I expect it will also be correct for gmail, but you need to check that out.

Earlier, you seemed to have decided webmail for the lot was the way you wanted to go. As I said, I would find that very cumbersome.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 01:35:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That I assume is correct for Yahoo, as he (you mean me?) gave it. I expect it will also be correct for gmail, but you need to check that out.
You shouldn't expect that! GMail's SMTP Server is on port 465 and its POP3 Server is on port 995. Both of them require a Secure Connection (SSL).

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-May-11 08:47:36
Print Post

Almost certain - I have BT Business accounts and the primary address is xxxx_xxxx but have another xxxx.xxxx I always use the dot account rather than underscore. However, when I speak with BT they ask to check the email details and I give the dot details, but their systems have defaulted back to underscore. Any changes do not seem to be permanent on the account - they may be in the various notes and work for the specific query but on the next call it has reverted.

In one set of Ts & Cs, I can remember reading a statement with words similar to: "BT will contact you through the primary email address supplied with the service".

With the various changes that happen, it is important to monitor the primary address, even if BT have been asked to use an alternate and it will not take much to add it to the TB set up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-May-11 08:51:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Earlier, you seemed to have decided webmail for the lot was the way you wanted to go. As I said, I would find that very cumbersome.

If the OP leaves his PC running when away from home - at work or on holiday for example, then using "the leave messages on server for a specified period" (2 days for work, longer for holiday) can be useful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dorsetlad
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 10:59:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks guys for all the input. Whatever way I decide to go, there is nothing I can do until I actually go live. There is therefore plenty of time for me to change my mind several times before the day.

What a great source of information this site is.

Brian

It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice
Standard User foxycat
(regular) Thu 05-May-11 20:01:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I can't speak of Thunderbird, but I have had BT Infinity for several weeks now and Outlook has no problem sending email from my non-BT accounts using Port 25 for the outgoing SMTP server.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-May-11 20:12:09
Print Post

[re: foxycat] [link to this post]

Yes, I was speaking generally. All mail clients have much the same capability.

The outgoing SMTP server is that of your non-BT provider, not BT's? Do you have to authenticate it with your BT Yahoo! Mail account credentials?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to