User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:24:29
Print Post

Re: Stop!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank-you both very much and everyone else so far for trying to help!

Yes the bedroom extension socket is from the same pictures earlier....

Really no idea what to do now frown. I will try to re-connect during day-light tomorrow. Just no idea what to do next? Would it be of benefit to get an engineer round to install a totally new master socket etc?

Is there in no way this would be a fault on BT's end? As I've never had any problems before and like I said when they first reset the line it was fine until the next morning.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:42:15
Print Post

Re: Help please - Horrible issues on the line.

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

The problem is picture 4.

Split legs. Terminal 2 and 5 should be blue/white to 2 and white/blue to 5. You have split pairs here. Sack the electrician.

Where you have colour code blue/orange green/brown its blue 2 orange 5. and green 3

Where you have colour code blue/white white/blue its blue white 2 and white blue 5 and orange white 3.

You have totally split wiring and also will need to regularise at the junction boxes cos just rejigging the sockets wont work.

colour codes should be regularised as follows. Join wires in junction boxes and sockets according to the colour codes of the cables. .

Blue/white = Blue = Terminal 2
White/Blue = Orange = Terminal 5
Orange/White = Green = Terminal 3.

Edited by RandomJointer (Wed 20-Jul-11 23:58:43)

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:49:47
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
The problem is picture 4.

Split legs. Terminal 2 and 5 should be blue/white to 2 and white/blue to 5. You have split pairs here. Sack the electrician.

Where you have colour code blue/orange green/brown its blue 2 orange 5.

Where you have colour code blue/white white/blue its blue white 2 and white blue 5.
To which "picture 4" are you referring, RJ? Would you please quote the photo number (as in 000xxx). If you are referring to 00075 with the two non-OR screw block connectors, please look again. The incoming cable (blue, brown, green, orange) has had the blue and orange wires extended via those screw block connectors to b/w and o/w, respectively. So, in essence, blue goes to IDC2 and orange to IDC5.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Wed 20-Jul-11 23:54:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:50:02
Print Post

So it's a mystery as to how the internet has lasted so long? (I'm assuming you mean picture 4 which is the master socket of the first picture set).

Can I re-wire this myself, or best to get a different electrician or BT engineer?

Thank-you for the reply!
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:02:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Meloco65:
So it's a mystery as to how the internet has lasted so long? (I'm assuming you mean picture 4 which is the master socket of the first picture set).

Can I re-wire this myself, or best to get a different electrician or BT engineer?

Thank-you for the reply!
There could be an OR charge in excess of £100 but you can not ask them, directly, to do any work.

If I were you, I would be inclined to ask my ISP if they could arrange an OR engineering visit to rationalise the non-standard wiring. Make sure that you tell your ISP that you do not have an NTE5/A and, thus, are unable to disconnect any of the extension wiring. With luck, your ISP will absorb any OR charge . . .

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:03:34
Print Post

You have split pairs on the cable with the banded colours. you have correct pairs on the cable with the solid colours.

You need to rig the sockets as I have prescribed but the intermediate junction boxes are also split and need to be connected as I have prescribed as correcting the sockets wont work because the junction boxes have the correct wires disconnected.

If you can't do it yourself you need a telephone engineer.

Banded cable = solid cable = socket
Blue/white = Blue = Terminal 2
White/Blue = Orange = Terminal 5
Orange/White = Green = Terminal 3.

This should be wired at the sockets and the intermediate junction boxes.

Edited by RandomJointer (Thu 21-Jul-11 00:06:43)

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:08:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Goodness knows where the green goes to out of the top of the junction box. Extremely odd.
Possibly to an external junction box, from which a bare copper wire runs down the side of the house (held in place with steel pins which have lead heads and a tag) to an earth spike.

That brings back memories of the very first telephone service my family had, when I was a child. wink

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:11:15
Print Post

You have split pairs on the cable with the banded colours. you have correct pairs on the cable with the solid colours.
To which photograph are you referring? Photo reference number, please.

If 00069, 00075 or 00076, then please look again.

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 21-Jul-11 00:14:37)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:14:37
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Green in terminal 3 is an accepted colour code for solid coloured wires.

Local earth on terminal 4 is an accepted colour code for solid coloured wires.

Earth spikes used to be used for party lines back in the day but I am not going to go into X and Y / A and B party line signalling anytime soon as I do not want to confuse our younger viewers. smile

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:19:56
Print Post

Earth spikes used to be used for party lines back in the day but I am not going to go into X and Y / A and B party line signalling anytime soon as I do not want to confuse our younger viewers. smile
Yes, I concur. However, go back far enough and you will find that all telephony services had an earth wire, fuses and shellac coated carbon blocks within the first junction box inside the premises.

My mention of an earthing spike, etc, was purely for RobertoS' benefit / enjoyment.

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 21-Jul-11 00:21:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to