User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Jan-13 08:49:40
Print Post

BT Smart Talk

[link to this post]

I see BT have a Smart Talk app so you can make landline calls from your mobile https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bt-smarttalk/id58696...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User barrymcmahon
(regular) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:43:36
Print Post

Re: BT Smart Talk

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

tried it but it did not work on my phone

So far a waste of space
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:48:02
Print Post

[re: barrymcmahon] [link to this post]

It works on my iPhone 4S ok.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:49:30
Print Post

[re: barrymcmahon] [link to this post]

Also tried it, wont except login details, they are correct but says they are not.
Standard User Sinclair
(learned) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:56:55
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Worked fine on my Ipod but would not load on my Ipad
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:57:51
Print Post

Are you using your primary address that you use to login to bt.com?

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 18:59:29
Print Post

Yep, am going to give it another try later.
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:24:16
Print Post

Wow I love this app from BT.

Set and working without any issue.

Well done BT hope in the coming months this will not become a extra option and chargeable.

Lee
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:28:03
Print Post

After two password resets, its now working.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Jan-13 19:31:09
Print Post

There's a chap bitched about having to use his BT line account login instead of his BT broadband one. I don't think he quite grasped the concept tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Jan-13 08:41:42
Print Post

Finally got the phone call advising me that I'd signed-up and I could stop it if I wanted.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 17-Jan-13 23:33:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There's a chap bitched about having to use his BT line account login instead of his BT broadband one. I don't think he quite grasped the concept tongue.

That was quite special. I don't think he had the faintest clue that BT Smart Talk is a BT Retail telephony service, not anything to do with BT Broadband or any other ISP.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 00:32:32
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I don't think he had the faintest clue that BT Smart Talk is a BT Retail telephony service, not anything to do with BT Broadband or any other ISP.
That's what the "I don't think he quite grasped the concept" was about smile.

Anyway, I have mine set up now. But once you start it, (on Android), there doesn't seem to be any way to close it, other than through a "Force Close" through the Apps manager.

That's daarrft!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Thribble
(member) Sun 20-Jan-13 12:19:52
Print Post

Same here ...I have to either freeze it with titanium backup or fc it ..strange... maybe needs a bug report to BT
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 12:31:33
Print Post

Anyway, I have mine set up now. But once you start it, (on Android), there doesn't seem to be any way to close it, other than through a "Force Close" through the Apps manager.

Huh, maybe they designed for iPhone first and then Android. On iOS killing an app is as simple as double tapping home button.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 13:25:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Do you really mean it kills it completely?

A single press of the Home button on my Galaxy SIII disappears any app, but leaves it open and suspended in the background. A long press of the Home button brings up thumbnails of those open ones and a sideswipe of any one of them gets rid of it completely.

This one, even after sideswiping it away, leave a handset icon at the top left in the notification bar. You can only get rid of that with a Force Close from the Apps Manager.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:05:05
Print Post

Double tap on iphone and then hold icon to see - sign and you can close it.
Android its via the app manager.

Both are basically force close

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:18:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is the way apps work. It's the same on Win 8 - you can't exit them.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:37:55
Print Post

Android apps normally you sideswipe them off the thumbnail screen as I described. Or tap the thumbnail to reactivate.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:53:49
Print Post

It's just the way apps work http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshoot...

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:02:26
Print Post

Tried today ... won't be using it again. Terrible echo, hate hearing an echo of myself.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:04:22
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Was that android or iOS?

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:05:19
Print Post

iFone 4 iOS 6

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:16:22
Print Post

Thanks Andrew. But that's a bit poor really. It should have an exit option in the context menu.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:34:34
Print Post

No such problems on my 4S

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:02:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:
Tried today ... won't be using it again. Terrible echo, hate hearing an echo of myself.

Local or remote echo? Almost all phones/networks have a degree of local echo - except primarily N America.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:33:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It's just the way apps work http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshoot...
Nope.

Well - it may be how they do work, but isn't how they should work.

I've just read that whole thread, and basically the general opinion seems to be that the app writer should code in an exit button.

My beef is not that SmartTalk sits in the background, like every other app until sideswiped. It is the BabyTalk handset symbol it leaves on the notification bar - for no useful purpose whatsoever - even after being side-swiped.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:07:40
Print Post

My beef is not that SmartTalk sits in the background, like every other app until sideswiped. It is the BabyTalk handset symbol it leaves on the notification bar - for no useful purpose whatsoever - even after being side-swiped.

Benefit of Android - its open, any app can do what it likes. Downside, any app can do what it likes smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:57:12
Print Post

Can't say its an option I've seen or at least noticed on apps in iOS and Android

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 21:43:05
Print Post

I think I've seen a couple with it. (Android). Maybe not. As I said though, that doesn't really bother me. The background or sideswipe to get rid is fine by me.

What isn't fine is it leaves a handset icon at the top left of the screen even after a sideswipe, so it isn't even supposed to be suspended. It should be as if it wasn't called into play.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 23:57:40
Print Post

What isn't fine is it leaves a handset icon at the top left of the screen even after a sideswipe, so it isn't even supposed to be suspended. It should be as if it wasn't called into play.

I took this annoying 'feature' as an indication that the app was written to handle incoming calls, in case BT decide to offer incoming calls to Smart Talk apps.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:19:08
Print Post

Or maybe the app that they used as inspiration, actually offers that function.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:49:08
Print Post

My Messaging and GMail apps put icons there when messages do come in, and when I read the messages the icons disappear.

Similar behaviour from the SmartTalk app would make sense. Having the icon permanently there as soon as the app has been used can only be described as a bug.

Standard User killerheels
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 19:29:53
Print Post

Just to let you know that you can get rid of the phone notification on the Samsung screen. Here's how:

Go into "task manager" app.

Find BTSmartTalk in list and open by pressing phone icon - don't hit uninstall!
Underneath the Force Stop panel there is a little square box with Show Notifications. Untick and you will remove the phone icon from the notification screen.

Simples!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:26:03
Print Post

[re: killerheels] [link to this post]

Thanks killerheels smile. That's got rid of the icon.

Only - completely so, so you don't even know it is loaded. Which seems to happen randomly. It also warned when unticking that it also disables update notifications. With a fairly new app I'm not sure I want to do that.

It's more the inability to close it completely that bugs me. I'm sure I've seen exit in the pop-up menus of some add-on apps. One would expect a professional app from BT. (As if!)

So on further consideration I think I'll leave it as it was.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:31
Print Post

As far as I can see the notification is only cosmetic.

If you are not making calls, it will not incur charges.

This app only works when you make a call and I think that it is perfectly fine to disable the notification. See my other post about how to close the app without having to force close or use the home button.

I will monitor battery drain and call charges; if there is anything untoward I will post an update, and also log a complaint with BT!

Edited by killerheels (Fri 29-Mar-13 21:05:56)

(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 20:58:03
Print Post

By the way - there is a "close app" button. Here's where to find it...

Open the app and press the pad to the right of the home button on the Galaxy. This will bring up the settings menu. See the X in the bottom right? That's the close app button. Daft place to put it - but there you go. I think that finally sorts it!

Edited by killerheels (Fri 29-Mar-13 21:04:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:33:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by killerheels:
As far as I can see the notification is only cosmetic.
When I turned off notifications, it said it also turns off notifications of updates. I'm not happy with that, given a fairly new app on the market, which might require the user choosing to install or not, and doing nothing until given the go-ahead.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:36:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by killerheels:
By the way - there is a "close app" button. Here's where to find it...

Open the app and press the pad to the right of the home button on the Galaxy. This will bring up the settings menu. See the X in the bottom right? That's the close app button. Daft place to put it - but there you go. I think that finally sorts it!
I think you mean the left? Then in Settings is App Manager, which is the way to kill the app. So I don't know where you are describing smile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to