User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lelboy
(member) Thu 09-Jan-14 19:18:04
Print Post

Re: Who is responsible?

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I think Bob is being a little facetious with his comments. The point I think he's making is that we all "could" do something, but commonsense dictates that we wouldn't. I don't think endless, pointless comments about domestic electrical wiring has any worth here at all. And certainly wouldn't help the "non-noob" original poster - who clearly knows what he's talking about (not).
Standard User lelboy
(member) Thu 09-Jan-14 19:18:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Of course not, Malcolm! No voltage on the line?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Jan-14 19:33:38
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

I would be shocked if BT couldn't cope with shorts.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Jan-14 21:26:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I would be shocked if BT couldn't cope with shorts.

Given how many wires there are on poles, they must bang together in the wind, years after any insulation has worn out in the elements.

In fact wasn't that the reason given for 999 originally instead of 111, as wires banging together in the wind could pulse (loop disconnect) dial these digits. Now we have tone dialling its a moot topic.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User lelboy
(member) Thu 09-Jan-14 22:13:24
Print Post

Possibly so - but your "doubt if" wouldn't cut it if it did cause problems. Bit of an odd take on the fact that a pair of wires - carrying current (or indeed raisins) - could be "touched together - with gay abandon". Let's do away with insulation altogether!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 23:16:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In fact wasn't that the reason given for 999 originally instead of 111, as wires banging together in the wind could pulse (loop disconnect) dial these digits. Now we have tone dialling its a moot topic.

It is one reason and there were others.

On the old call boxes it was easy to make 9xx a free call alongside the 0 use to call the operator.
It was easy to locate the hole on a rotary dial - one away from the zero.
It was not susceptible to inadvertent contact during installation/repair work.

Other countries went for 112 and 911 to avoid the possible problems with accidental contact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Fri 10-Jan-14 02:06:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Other countries went for 112

112 can also be used to call the UK emergency services and certain fault conditions can cause a line to do just that.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 10-Jan-14 09:31:57
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jaggies:
In reply to a post by MHC:
Other countries went for 112

112 can also be used to call the UK emergency services and certain fault conditions can cause a line to do just that.

Not in the 1930's ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PeterProxy
(newbie) Fri 10-Jan-14 10:00:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

To take this even more off topic wink..when you dial 999 or 112 on your shiny new smartphones, the handset doesn't actually dial 999 or 112.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Fri 10-Jan-14 11:43:25
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

No neither would I, I recently wanted to shorten the drop from the rose to the lamp socket, I made sure I tripped the circuit breaker first, just in case smile

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to