User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jelly_Tussle
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:20:58
Print Post

Re: Webmail and Storing E-mails Locally; how do I do it?

[re: Galoka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Galoka:
More specifically, I would suggest that you set up your email client to use IMAP to collect your email.

Basically, IMAP synchronises the email between your local email client and the webmail system.

If you write an email in your client, or delete one from there then it wil be reflected on the server as well. If you write an email in the webmail then a that will be reflected in your email client.

Though you will need to make sure that you enable whatever setting there is to download all the emails - by default using IMAP email client don't actually download copies of all the emails,

The alternative collection method is called POP3. This is a more basic protocol, that just downloads emails sent to you. This will download copies of emails you have been sent. But it won't download copies of any emails you have sent to others for example.

Many Thanks.

Sorry; but I'm a bit of a techno dunce.

I don't know what IMAP is; let alone how to set it up to collect my e-mail. If you can point me to where to begin; that would be great.

Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:47:51
Print Post

[re: Jelly_Tussle] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jelly_Tussle:

I don't know what IMAP is; let alone how to set it up to collect my e-mail. If you can point me to where to begin; that would be great.

Cheers.
Do you know how to take a security copy of your computer system (hard disc)? I'm a little concerned you are putting your historic emails at risk by following the instructions people are giving you that are only 80% complete.

To see if I'm worrying over nothing, have a look at your emails using the method you have always used. Are they still there? Or are they only in Live Mail?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 23:03:33
Print Post

What Happens to your BT Mail when you Leave BT BB?

Leaving BT Broadband?

We're sorry to see you go. If you've left BT Broadband and want to keep your BT email address, you can order BT Premium Mail for up to 30 days. For a small monthly fee of £1.60 a month, you get to keep all the benefits of your email service. Payment by Monthly Whole Bill Direct Debit and paper-free billing only, one month minimum term applies. Find out more about BT Premium Mail

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 23:14:37
Print Post

Luckily BT Mail does do IMAP (for reading) and secure SMTP (for sending), see: BT email: What are the settings for outgoing and incoming mail servers?.

BTW: May I congratulate yot in getting the hang of quoting other posts to which you are not directly replying in your OP smile.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:13:23
Print Post

If you are changing ISPs then, unless you go for the BT Premium Email solution, as mentioned by Xrayspex, you will eventually lose all of your emails that are on BT's Server!

Regards,
John
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:24:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do you know how to take a security copy of your computer system (hard disc)? I'm a little concerned you are putting your historic emails at risk by following the instructions people are giving you that are only 80% complete.

Thanks for your concern.

No I don't know how to take security copy of my computer system. In fact I have not heard the term security copy until now. Do you mean a 'back up'? If so; I have programme installed (Cobian Backup) that automatically backs up my Laptops Hard Drive to an external one.

Your concern is justified; as I don't really know or understand what I'm doing. I probably would have done this later on; but people suggested that this was a matter of urgency; so I thought I should do it now.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
To see if I'm worrying over nothing, have a look at your emails using the method you have always used. Are they still there? Or are they only in Live Mail?

My e-mails are still there; although they are now all marked as read even though I have not read them. I presume that because they are being copied to Live Mail; BT's server thinks I have read them?

By the way; do I need the Live Mail programme open for it to work? If I close the programme; would it still copy my mail in the background?

Cheers.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:37:19
Print Post

Re: What Happens to your BT Mail when you Leave BT BB?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Leaving BT Broadband?

We're sorry to see you go. If you've left BT Broadband and want to keep your BT email address, you can order BT Premium Mail for up to 30 days. For a small monthly fee of £1.60 a month, you get to keep all the benefits of your email service. Payment by Monthly Whole Bill Direct Debit and paper-free billing only, one month minimum term applies. Find out more about BT Premium Mail

Thanks for that.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:40:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Luckily BT Mail does do IMAP (for reading) and secure SMTP (for sending), see: BT email: What are the settings for outgoing and incoming mail servers?.

BTW: May I congratulate yot in getting the hang of quoting other posts to which you are not directly replying in your OP smile.

Thank you for that link; I will read that as soon as I can.

I have posted on other forums before ; so there are a few things I have managed to grasp!

Cheers.
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:43:34
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
If you are changing ISPs then, unless you go for the BT Premium Email solution, as mentioned by Xrayspex, you will eventually lose all of your emails that are on BT's Server!

Thank you.

I don't think I have made it clear on this thread (my apologies) but I already have Premium Mail for which BT charge me £1.60 a month.

I presume if I change ISP; I would carry on accessing my webmail as if nothing has happened?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Feb-14 09:54:53
Print Post

Security Copy - yes a backup to an external drive is what was meant.

When you say close, if you mean close the programme so it is not running then it cannot retrieve email at those times.

BUT most email programmes when you minimise them are still running, and will give you an alert (e.g. mail envelope on the system tray area - icons in the bottom right).

So really depends on if you mean minimise or close.

A big advantage of having the emails locally is that if the BT mail server is not accessible, e.g. broadband broke or they have servers down for maintenance you can still search your email on your PC.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 13-Feb-14 09:59:24)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to