User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andy9054
(newbie) Sun 25-Aug-19 18:17:43
Print Post

BT Ultrafast (g.fast) with Asus DSL-ac88u

[link to this post]

Hi

I've scoured the net and read various forums to get g.fast working with this but I dont seem to be getting anywhere. When i got it out of the box with build 502 firmware it managed to get a DSL connection (said in GUI it was connected and solid dsl light)

I just upgraded the firmware as I wanted to get bridge mode working (didnt really know how either) to firmware v1.10.06 build591 but now it wont get a DSL connection, i tried rolling back to 502 and doesnt work either!

I've tried some recommended approaches of choosing plusnet as the provider in the quick wizard setup and then manually change dsl settings to g.fast/annex a in administration but still no joy

Would anyone be able to help?

thx
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-19 13:58:54
Print Post

Re: BT Ultrafast (g.fast) with Asus DSL-ac88u

[re: andy9054] [link to this post]

I might be way off the mark as I don't bother a lot with these forums any more. However I thought GFast was a souped up FTTC form of broadband.

The DSL-AC88U is not a fibre modem/router - it is for the old ADSL platform. I have the similarly named Asus RT-AC88U for my fibre broadband connection. I do have to use the original BT modem too though as the router does not have a modem facility. Perhaps if you have a BT modem then the DSL-AC88U is perfectly acceptable, I just don't know

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-19 14:17:22
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
The DSL-AC88U is not a fibre modem/router - it is for the old ADSL platform.

The modem in the DSL-AC88U also supports VDSL2 (FTTC) and G.Fast:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSL-AC88U/

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-19 14:47:55
Print Post

You need a line that has been upgraded to G.fast to get a G.fast sync, at which point it would not give you an xDSL connection, due to not having both on the line at the same time. By the sounds of it (you say it got a DSL connection at first) you don't have a G.fast enabled line.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-19 23:47:46
Print Post

Ignore squirrel, your router does support G.fast, I've been using one of those routers on G.fast for over a year.

Your problem seems to be tbat the router dropped auto-sync for G.fast in build 585 which leaves you 2 options.

1. Use a firmware older than 585
2. Change your settings to sync from G.fast only.
  Print Thread

Jump to